Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,576      

Deleted member 8213

D
More meaningless twitter evidence. I looked up that Hondo Carpenter twitter on a whim. He's the MSU guy had the in home interview with Mark last week got everyone's panties in a bunch... there's no mention of Smith there despite a whole lot of activity...

#4,577      

riffraff

Peoria
Can we qualify young Mr. Smith re-tweeting on his own twitter account today the cartoon gif of himself dunking at Illinois as a leak, albeit by himself? Or perhaps at least a foreshadowing/clue/not too subtle hint of what his plans are for his announcement tomorrow?
Or just..."Hey guys! Watch this! I'm gonna tweet this gif and see how twitter explodes in Illini country!"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#4,579      
First post on here so take this how you want, but I am 110% sure the Illini fan base will like the news they are going to get tomorrow.

#4,580      
I saw a post under the dunk gif that asks why illini wants 8 guards. This is actually a good point.

because at least 3 will be on the floor at a time, and at times 4

#4,582      
I saw a post under the dunk gif that asks why illini wants 8 guards. This is actually a good point.

Watch film of Coach Underwood's movement offense and his pressure defense and you will see why at least 6 mostly tall and athletic guards that can get up and down the court will all be needed. Can't wait for the fun!

#4,583      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
First post on here so take this how you want, but I am 110% sure the Illini fan base will like the news they are going to get tomorrow.

My insider....close to the front line tells me to drink lots of beer tommorow and wear my cup!!!

5J9t1QQ.gif

#4,584      

Dvick217

San Diego
My insider....close to the front line tells me to drink lots of beer tommorow and wear my cup!!!

Don't you want to be sober for the good news! I know I do:) Tomorrow is going to be an awesome day! Come on down Mr Smith!!!

Last edited:
#4,585      
Theory on Moore. That original leak from the Chicago Tribune came a day after Smith's visit to Illinois and the rumor he'd cancelled his OSU visit no? Plus the rumor about Smith giving the staff a silent verbal?

Then Moore backtracks once he sees Smith is going to visit OSU, thinking maybe Illinois isn't out of his recruitment.

Now he officially commits to Kansas a day before Smith's announcement? When Kansas and Illinois were the clear leaders in Moore's recruitment?

Is my timeline accurate? If so, that's interesting. Unless it's pure coincidence.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2 reasons I think Kansas jumped on Charlie Moore:
1.) he is a really good, proven point guard
2.) by taking him, it sets them up strategically to be a stronger player in the Ayo (former MacIrvin teammate) sweepstakes. Not a bad move at all by KU.

#4,586      

Rob07

San Francisco
Second & Chalmers, I like your stuff and appreciate the point of view you bring to the board, so this is all said with love.
We have defined ourselves as "the school that gets kicked in the nuts and made the bridesmaid by the big boys". We reflect that out into the world, and gobble up the content that reflects that back to us. We have built a self-fulfilling prophecy, a vicious cycle.
Says the dude who came up with the Power Five Sports Misery index to prove that, you know, we are a fanbase who has uniquely suffered?
We punch way, way above our weight in commenting and click-generating, which is absolutely not lost on media outlets.
[citation needed]
We NEVER believe players we've seen are going to get better.
This is demonstrably untrue. How many of us thought that a guy like JoeBert needed to just put a few things together and he'd be beastly? I and many others were posting during the 2013-2014 season and following offseason about how we liked the flashes we saw from Tate, his great court vision, and how he just needed to develop an outside shot. Many of us expected big sophomore leaps for players like Austin Colbert, Aaron Jordan, and DJ Williams during Groce's tenure. Tons of us expected huge things from JCL this last year after a freshman campaign where he set an Illinois record for 3s by a freshman. Of course, none of these expected gains materialized. The problem is that the last staff failed to really develop any players (or put them in a coaching scheme where the skills they developed could be utilized), not that we are insufficiently optimistic about the guys on our roster. Really, you can only point to Maverick Morgan as a guy who had a B1G-quality career arc under Groce.

Ultimately, you have the causal arrow completely backwards in all of this stuff. The national media's perception isn't influenced by messageboard narrative. The narrative will turn around once we get some recruiting wins and actual in-game wins.

#4,587      
I have something to say. If Smith chooses another school besides Illinois, I don’t want to see any parent, fan, family member, friend, etc., go into a temper tantrum and blame him for his decision. I don’t care if it’s on this board, Twitter, Facebook, elsewhere on the Internet, or even in person...I believe it is ridiculous and downright stupid to do that.

Remember, this is his decision. It’s not yours. We all remember what happened when Tilmon and Pickett de-committed recently. While some understood, some did not and went into an angry rage. I do not want to see that. As an Illini fan base, we must respect Smith’s decision tomorrow. I have never met him personally, nor have I talked to him, yet I believe he is a great student-athlete.

Like the majority of you, I hope he comes to Illinois. I believe Coach Underwood and his staff are doing great things. Just takes time, yet Underwood and his staff need more players. Depth has to increase. Here’s hoping Smith commits to :illinois:

#4,588      
Hahahaha, yes daddy. You might want to close your eyes then if it doesn't go our way.

#4,590      

haasi

New York
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Rob07: +1. S/C brings a very developed point of view, is highly articulate, and not afraid to be contrarian. Love his contributions. This response is on the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,592      
+1. I think this may be my biggest pet peeve of these boards - when the exceptional case is applied as a rule. I'll be so pumped if I never read/hear "Trey Burke says hello!" ever again.

Fair enough

(But Deron Williams says hello)

Status
Not open for further replies.