Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#5,326      
I know this will sound strange, but I want to see more. Yes, he can dunk and jump out of the building, but what actual skills does he bring?

Have you actually seen him play? He's a great ball handler for his size, can pass at a high level and he can shoot 3s. He's much better than Cliff or Diallo. Kid is incredible.

#5,328      

EJ33

San Francisco
I took the quick NOPE then the smile after being asked about, players who asked out of there LOI to mean, they were indeed talking to JT

I took it only to mean that everyone in the room knew who was being asked about. I'm not sure how one could glean anything beyond that out of his answer, aside from wishful thinking. That doesn't mean he isn't still actively recruiting JT, but I have no clue how anyone could conclude that based on his answer/reaction.

Ubermensch is spot on.

#5,329      

EJ33

San Francisco
I don't know if it's just me, but I would swear he's doing a John Groce impression through the first couple minutes of this video. Or maybe they just all talk the same (and narrow their eyes the same to suggest precision of thought, wry smile the same to signal humor, etc.)?

I see very little in common between Underwood and Groce beyond some of the usual coachspeak.

#5,330      

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Any chance Antiqua can get in on this Zion Williamson kid? :D Good lord. 16? And if he's ranked #2, who's #1? Russell Westbrook? Have you guys seen this kid? :eek:

https://youtu.be/CZSBK2yKeME
I tend to have some knowledge of a large handful of small high schools across the country (first downstate IL, and now South Carolina).

Zion is indeed a monster. However, he plays for a tiny private HS in Spartanburg. They play in the weakest high school league in the state -- pretty much small private schools, only.....and locally against other teams not really sanctioned by the SCHSL. However, Spartanburg Day does travel quite a bit during the season (when they're good) and I think they played in a Chicago tournament this past year. In fact, they beat Proviso East. May have finished with a 1-2 record.

Zion is a beast. He played a game in Greenville, SC (same city where Jawun got his HS start) and Roy Williams showed up to scout. Zion is such a big name here that the game was sold out and the school shut down 3 hours before game time with police blocking all entrances to keep additional fans away. BTW, this is a very unusual occurrence for Greenville. My son and his buddies all got their pics with Roy. What a solid guy -- he must have posed for 50 selfies.

Bottom-line, I'd say regardless of his HS competition, Zion is headed to Duke, KY or UNC. He's a man among boys. Just make sure you check out the competition in some of his recruiting videos. You may occasionally see five members of the opposing team who are also in the Chess Club.

#5,331      
We literally have 0.00% chance with Williamson. He's Duke, UNC, South Carolina or Kentucky and that's pretty much it. Let that dream gooooo....

#5,332      
Have you actually seen him play? He's a great ball handler for his size, can pass at a high level and he can shoot 3s. He's much better than Cliff or Diallo. Kid is incredible.

I agree, Wiliamson looks to be a future NBA all-star. However I would give us about .00001% chance of getting him.

I would love to see us go after Keion Brooks Jr. Though.

http://endlessmotor.net/2017/04/27/keion-brooks-19indy-heat-2017-eybl-session-1-highlights/

He plays with the Indy Heat, with Tyger Campbell, so there is somewhat of a connection to the program. Would still be a long shot, Izzo started recruiting him in 7th grade.

#5,333      
:ah: All please place your phones and recording devices in the trays on table before you enter the practice. Mr Tate we like to check your pockets before you enter.:hand::cool:

#5,334      
We literally have 0.00% chance with Williamson. He's Duke, UNC, South Carolina or Kentucky and that's pretty much it. Let that dream gooooo....

Ring, ring...

Martin: Hello Mr. Wiliamson, my name is Cuonzo Martin and I'm the head coach at Californ... I mean Ma, Ma, Mizzzou. You've heard of us, right? I have a question for you. Have you ever coached Little League or at the Y or any type of coaching experience? It can be boys or girls or anything.
Wiliamson: Yea, I coached my son at the Y basketball camp when he was 5.
Martin: We have a job that just opened up and we're looking for a top level coach. We recently had to let go of a coach named Porter (maybe you've heard of him) and I heard really good things about you. Would you be interested in coming aboard? We could really use you here at Tennessee.
Wiliamson: That sounds great, but I thought it was Mizz-something or another. Regardless, what is the salary?
Martin: It's about $450,000, but we can negotiate if that not acceptable to you.
Wiliamson: Well, okay. I think that sounds pretty good.
Martin: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You're a savior. Oh by the way, can your kid recruit?

#5,337      
I took it only to mean that everyone in the room knew who was being asked about. I'm not sure how one could glean anything beyond that out of his answer, aside from wishful thinking. That doesn't mean he isn't still actively recruiting JT, but I have no clue how anyone could conclude that based on his answer/reaction.

It is as simple as, NCAA rules prohibit him from talking about it. In that room. In front of all the reporters.

#5,340      
Obviously you didn't see him play at the TOC in Washington. He was amazing, and there were some good teams and players there.

ZION WILLIAMSON of Spartanburg Day School put on the greatest performance in ToC History when soared to the bucket for a record-tying 50 points and 10 dunks in the Griffins victory over Proviso East. Williamson finished the tournament with 117 points, 48 rebounds and an astonishing 21 slam dunks! Williamson was named the Most Outstanding Player in the Washington Invitational and finished as one of the All-Time ToC Greats!

https://washingtontofc.org/category-posts/toc-updates-2016/
Saw Zion play at TOC. I asked long time ref who was best player ever at this star studded annual tourney and he said Zion without a doubt

#5,341      
Ring, ring...

Martin: Hello Mr. Wiliamson, my name is Cuonzo Martin and I'm the head coach at Californ... I mean Ma, Ma, Mizzzou. You've heard of us, right? I have a question for you. Have you ever coached Little League or at the Y or any type of coaching experience? It can be boys or girls or anything.
Wiliamson: Yea, I coached my son at the Y basketball camp when he was 5.
Martin: We have a job that just opened up and we're looking for a top level coach. We recently had to let go of a coach named Porter (maybe you've heard of him) and I heard really good things about you. Would you be interested in coming aboard? We could really use you here at Tennessee.
Wiliamson: That sounds great, but I thought it was Mizz-something or another. Regardless, what is the salary?
Martin: It's about $450,000, but we can negotiate if that not acceptable to you.
Wiliamson: Well, okay. I think that sounds pretty good.
Martin: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You're a savior. Oh by the way, can your kid recruit?

Aren't there 2 or 3 more boys younger than Jontay? Job security for awhile with more boys in the way. Porter has girls on the Mizzou women's team. He's more productive than Lavar Ball.

#5,343      
Assuming the rest of the recruiting goes well and we get, say, Badocchi, Bragg, and Tillman or another 2017. From where will the scholarship for Ayo come? It doesn't seem to me that he is a player for whom you hope there will be an opening or a departure.

#5,344      
Assuming the rest of the recruiting goes well and we get, say, Badocchi, Bragg, and Tillman or another 2017. From where will the scholarship for Ayo come? It doesn't seem to me that he is a player for whom you hope there will be an opening or a departure.

That would be a High class problem to have.

Underwood can count.......and his teams can score.

#5,345      

We won't say no to Ayo. Transfers or we won't take all three of those guys.

#5,346      

There will almost certainly be a transfer or two after this year, when someone spends a season learning they don't fit in BU's system. No speculation on who, just seems inevitable.

#5,348      
Mike, do you know what AAU team Adam Miller is playing with this summer and how he is doing so far? Also, what age group is he playing with? Haven't seen his name mentioned at all but I'm assuming that is because he is still pretty young.

#5,350      
It actually is not fair game to ask since the coach can't answer by rules.

And what is even more annoying is Rob definitely knows this. He has been around this business for awhile. He knows exactly what he is doing, he does it often, and it gets pretty old.

Status
Not open for further replies.