Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#5,826      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
IIRC Jawun Evans was not ranked in the top 100 when Groce offered.
Correct. He blew up after Groce offered. There were others, too, but can't think of who off the top of my head. Identifying talent is not one of Groce's weaknesses, however.

#5,828      
I really hope the Italian guy commits to us without a hat ceremony. I would really enjoy a low key Badocchi okie dokey.

<shows himself out>

#5,831      

icengineer

Southern Illinois
Bet Jamal picked up Most all recruits. Groce was a rah rah guy, nothing more.:(

That is an interesting statement. Who besides DJ Cooper would fit that narrative for Groce at Ohio? Now that he's at Akron let's see who develops there in the next couple of years.

#5,832      
Correct. He blew up after Groce offered. There were others, too, but can't think of who off the top of my head. Identifying talent is not one of Groce's weaknesses, however.

Has Groce offered Pickett yet ? If not then that's about all that needs said about Groce and knowing talent on here any longer. And NO that is not meant to be a knock on Pickett at all I would of loved to had him on the team

#5,834      
Has Groce offered Pickett yet ? If not then that's about all that needs said about Groce and knowing talent on here any longer. And NO that is not meant to be a knock on Pickett at all I would of loved to had him on the team

Some of Groce's pursuit of Pickett was due to his relationship with Tilmon, so that's not a good example.

#5,839      

IlliniRon

Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Ft Worth, Texas
Agreed. perhaps the worst highlight tape I've seen for Div 1 basketball.

Yeah, he's either playing above the rim on his dunks or throwing in NBA 3 pointers. I don't know anyone who likes that type of game. :eek:

#5,840      

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Yeah, he's either playing above the rim on his dunks or throwing in NBA 3 pointers. I don't know anyone who likes that type of game. :eek:
Brazdeikis, not Stewart. (I don't think you followed the links.)

Stewart's highlight video, on the other hand, is out of this world....Zion Williamson-like!

#5,841      
Butz. From Indiana. As in Earl and Dave. Wonder if Purdue was on him.

Butz is a good player, but wasn't highly ranked. I think DePaul was his only big offer. I watched him play against Malik Williams (Louisville commit and top 30) and Butz outplayed him. Part of that may have been the fact that Butz was on a much better team .

#5,842      

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]I know Playaz already posted this but it's worth watching again. He scored 50 points against Prolific Prep, a team that went 29-2 and included Gary Trent Jr, Paul Scruggs and Abu Kagib. As a commentor said below this video on YouTube he's currently 4th in EYBL scoring behind Bagley, Bol Bol, and RJ Barrett. And he's just a Junior. Tough crowd today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][YOUTUBE]qXLgKB9UEJE[/YOUTUBE][/FONT]

#5,843      

Kramer116

Chicago
Butz is a good player, but wasn't highly ranked. I think DePaul was his only big offer. I watched him play against Malik Williams (Louisville commit and top 30) and Butz outplayed him. Part of that may have been the fact that Butz was on a much better team .

See I was not really a fan of Butz, pretty soft for a big guy but he was skilled just not really an above the rim type of guy.

I think Depaul is right fit for him overall.

#5,847      

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
Comparison

[FONT=&quot]I know Playaz already posted this but it's worth watching again. He scored 50 points against Prolific Prep, a team that went 29-2 and included Gary Trent Jr, Paul Scruggs and Abu Kagib. As a commentor said below this video on YouTube he's currently 4th in EYBL scoring behind Bagley, Bol Bol, and RJ Barrett. And he's just a Junior. Tough crowd today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][YOUTUBE]qXLgKB9UEJE[/YOUTUBE][/FONT]

From what I've watched of him, I think he reminds me of Doug Altenberger, with a little more size. I think if you look at the historical years of us winning, there was someone like him coming off the bench and being a steady player, putting up points and giving his all, yet always not the gifted athlete. The word that best reflects him is consistent, unlike our play over the last 6 years.

#5,848      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Brazdeikis has a very strong, tight dribble. Guys that big at that age usually don't. He doesn't have Zion's explosiveness, but he's a good athlete. He's a kid I'm really high on. He'd be an All-American at Wisconsin.

#5,850      

Deleted member 10676

D
Brazdeikis has a very strong, tight dribble. Guys that big at that age usually don't. He doesn't have Zion's explosiveness, but he's a good athlete. He's a kid I'm really high on. He'd be an All-American at Wisconsin.

Or Florida, Michigan, UConn or Oklahoma, all of whom offered him this week.
I think he'd make a good AA at Illinois, or at least All-B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.