Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 631370

D
"Hearing" means listening to Ryan Evan live feed last night and mentioning Gerry McNamara at Syracuse is snooping around at Griffins HS. They just lost player of similar position to D League...Griffin followed McNamara, McNamara followed Griffin....rumors fly. Brubin just regurgitating Ryan Evan

In a way, it's good to see Syracuse sniffing around Griffin. It further validates his value as a prospect.

Given Griffin's ties to Champaign, I'm not too concerned here. If this kid had no state-of-Illinois ties and suddenly the local school comes sniffing around, then maybe there's valid cause for concern.

I guess I missed that.....who's the frontrunner? Anyone not named Illinois?

Honestly, I don't think there is a front runner. The Mark Smith thing wasn't good for us, but Mizzou is having some embarrassing issues right now with the AD and the Porter's and I don't think I would send my kid to that school.

We'll see what happens.

What's going on with their AD and the Porters? I revel in Mizzou mizzery lol

He's claiming he didn't know anything about MPJ back injury, and he should of known. I'm not sure why he came out with a statement considering Porter Sr. is a key coach, and Jontay is a current player considering going to the NBA or staying.

Everyone is pointing fingers all around, and it's self inflicted pain, as it should be with Mizzou.

If you want to see the blood and guts and fun, read the Tigerboard.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
What's going on with their AD and the Porters? I revel in Mizzou mizzery lol

From Tigerboard

Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk said this past week that his department was “blindsided” by the injury that cost Porter nearly all of his freshman season.

“It was disappointing to hear,” Sterk told St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Dave Matter. “Surprise was the biggest thing. No one really knew anything like that [except for] probably the trainers [with whom] he was doing physical therapy. But other than that I don’t think there was any [warning] as far as all of us. We were like you [in the media]. We were kind of blindsided by it.”

Sterk says the athletic department was left in the dark, and seemed to indicate that more warning would have been appreciated.

“I really wasn’t in the middle of all that,” he said. “A heads up that day would have been good, but I think that was last-minute.”

Honestly, I don't think there is a front runner. The Mark Smith thing wasn't good for us, but Mizzou is having some embarrassing issues right now with the AD and the Porter's and I don't think I would send my kid to that school.

We'll see what happens.

I would think Smith is a shoe in for Creighton (I called almost immediately) after he was granted release, or now Kansas State.

Weber would be able to get him defensively up to speed, he would get to PG1 some of the time and share duties other times and be able to get better there.

McDermott would be able to use his talents as well....either offense would work for him, especially with a sit out year to grow/learn.:chief:

Honestly, his recruitment has been really quiet. But there's little to no smoke for Illinois. I don't know that there IS a front-runner, but if so, it might be Mizzou. But word is he's waiting for some blue-blood offers. If he continues to play the way he has, he'll get 'em.

It has been quiet. There is no leader. Not sure where you heard hes waiting for blue bloods, but who isn't. Basically you're just guessing and making a few things up as you go. Illinois has just a good a chance of anyone at this point. Liddell seeing how Coach used Black last year is a bigger factor than the Mark Smith transfer.

It has been quiet. There is no leader. Not sure where you heard hes waiting for blue bloods, but who isn't. Basically you're just guessing and making a few things up as you go. Illinois has just a good a chance of anyone at this point. Liddell seeing how Coach used Black last year is a bigger factor than the Mark Smith transfer.

No offense but the last part sounds like a guess as well.

No offense but the last part sounds like a guess as well.

-Liddell has said how he loved the way they used Black and also stated the Smith transfer wouldn't effect his decision. I guess he could be lying but just stating what he said.

- I just dont like comments like "hes definitely not coming here." Its just a total guess at this point.

Last edited:

Bailey

Los Angeles
Some significant Crystal Ball movement today for Jones. When Evan Daniels jumps in it's usually a good indicator.

Deleted member 631370

D
Some significant Crystal Ball movement today for Jones. When Evan Daniels jumps in it's usually a good indicator.

Well, if he's keeping to his April 11th timeline and he hasn't visited anybody since his Illinois visit, i'd say there's reason to be optimistic.

How many times does a recruit (1) visit school X, (2) announce a decision date, (3) not take any additional visits, and (4) commit to somebody other than school X?

It happens, yes. But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule from what I can remember.

Well, if he's keeping to his April 11th timeline and he hasn't visited anybody since his Illinois visit, i'd say there's reason to be optimistic.

How many times does a recruit (1) visit school X, (2) announce a decision date, (3) not take any additional visits, and (4) commit to somebody other than school X?

It happens, yes. But they seem to be the exception rather than the rule from what I can remember.

Loren Tate seems to think that he's coming to Illinois and that he may announce this week. He was correct regarding Giorgi, FWIW.

It's crazy that not that long ago we thought this class was just going to be Ayo.

Now, we're looking at a 5-7 man class with players from every position(less).

Overall or specifically IL? I mean there is that proverbial rain cloud of Illinois luck... ;) Am joking & really hoping the cb's are correct.

illini80

Forgottonia
I dont see how it's lame. We have a low amount. 9 to last us a year from now. It's a legit concern. We still have 3-4 scholis to fill this class, let alone alone the next class too. And Feliz/Ramey/5th years haven't even visited yet.
Yep, it's really important that guys we invest these in have legit interest in committing. I assume that Feliz and Hinson will use 2 of those, plus the one Griffin will take. That's down to 6 with who we know about.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
So with 3 open, assuming the smoke around Matic is just that (and I am not wishing him gone in any way), would we forego getting another big if, by some chance, we got both Jones and Hinson? Or would we cool on Feliz and look to Trice or some other front court player?

Status
Not open for further replies.