Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm officially worried about the talent level we're bringing in. Never before have we brought in so many guys with such poor offer lists. I hope it works out and that Underwood can "out-scout" and/or "outsystem" everyone else.
I think "quality of offer lists"... is a strategy JG used in his recruiting that contributed to his demize as coach here. That is a lagging indicator for recruiting and if used, will result in failure by most teams other than blue bloods.

Never seen the guy play or any highlights, but definitely think the team needs more class balance, so I'm definitely supportive of this. Hopefully we can get an upperclassmen big that can give us some scoring down low and call it a class.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Welcome El General!:thumb:

Perhaps the glue that brings all these good pieces we have together?

Official 217Sports ranking:

Andres Feliz- :chief::shield::illinois::chief:
Two Chiefs around the shield and Block I, because bringing it together.

Any chance he starts day 1? I know we have a couple big time talents at point, but wondering if the experience he has will win out.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Welcome aboard, Andres!

I think he's a VVG get, he's a great fit and our backcourt is now set. Really like his maturity and experience. Set up perfectly for Miller.

Anywhere but Miznoz for Ramey.

I'm officially worried about the talent level we're bringing in. Never before have we brought in so many guys with such poor offer lists.

In Trent, Ayo, DaMonte, and Jones we've got a nice core of highly recruited talent in the backcourt.

In the frontcourt...yeah. We're just kinda throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping something sticks.

To be very frank there should probably be a Creaning or two coming among the bigs who aren't able to crack the rotation.

Feliz might result in more wins in year 1 but getting a player like Ramey would be a huge perception boost and help us get our frontcourt targets. I'd take Feliz if he wants to commit but Ramey is the recruit we need to help us feel much more confident about the future of the program. I wouldn't hate it if the staff waited to see what Ramey decides. It all depends on how much weight we're putting into next season.

This type of thinking has led to a lot of loss recruits and games. This is why Wisky, Nebraska, Neveda ended up with really good college players while we chased the pipe dream.Feliz will lead to wins and wins will lead to ncaa tourney which will lead to better players.

I'm officially worried about the talent level we're bringing in. Never before have we brought in so many guys with such poor offer lists. I hope it works out and that Underwood can "out-scout" and/or "outsystem" everyone else.

Worried about what losing players like Finke Lucas and Smith. The talent BU is bringin is great and so much better than ILLNI have had in a long time. Offer list don't mean a thing. BU had to clean house and start over In Brad we trust Make ILLNI Great Again:shield

I love that they didn't slow play this situation, take the player that wants to be an Illini and is a good fit. Next season is starting to look better.

Ramey is scheduled to release a new top 9 on Monday.:)

Beat me to it! Was also thinking if IL put out a It's done sort of post. :D

I shouldn't say that. I mean nothing but the best for the Rameys (unless they go to Miznoz). ;)

Welcome Andres Feliz!

2018 REcruitng

A valid point so let's break it down..Ayo, Feliz, Griffin, Tevian, Giorgi and Samba. There is enough quality between the recruits and holdovers (Frazier/Williams/Jordan) to have a top of B1G backcourt or at least 1-3 positions. The problem, once again, is the frontcourt. Other than Kipper playing some at the four, which I believe will occur a good amount possibly starting there, the frontcourt is littered with underclass projects (Ebo, Vesel, Samba, Giorgi). The Illini have gotten taller but much more inexperienced and even less scoring than previously which is alarming.

The Illini must either get a starting ready stud recruit (Okoro) or a starting ready upperclasseman (preferably a 5th year but even a JUCO) or there is almost no chance of making the NCAA tourney next season. As I look at it that is the only real missing ingredient right now but it is a huge missing piece.

Feliz' roommate at NWFS is Derek Funderburk, the old tOSU commit who is now headed to North Carolina State. Funderburk and Kipper were best friends and teammates at Lakewood St. Ed's in Ohio. This may explain why people who were at Ubben on Saturday said Andres hung out with Kipper on and off the court.

Actually all good coaches do one or both of those..."out scout" or "outsystem" others.

I am counting on a combination of both of "out scout" & "outsystem" under BU. Time will tell.

"follow the leader" on recruiting,.. is not a recipe for success in college bball.

This type of thinking has led to a lot of loss recruits and games. This is why Wisky, Nebraska, Neveda ended up with really good college players while we chased the pipe dream.Feliz will lead to wins and wins will lead to ncaa tourney which will lead to better players.

Groce and Weber seemed to chase the higher rated guys without success. Underwood seems sure of what he wants and doesn't let someone else's perception deter him. Let's see how this goes.

Am all for getting Hinson asap as have mentioned previously. But how much room do we have left?

I believe there is a ride left. I'd rather take a grad transfer, but I don't work 100 hours a week as coach, so I'll defer to him on what he wants.

Welcome to the Illini Andres Feliz!

Go Illini

Status
Not open for further replies.