Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Does anyone know how signing the general changes our recruiting class ranking???

Just want to add my perspective on Matic V. How many thought we would want to keep Mav Morgan around for a fifth year after seeing him perform as a frosh? Matic has more skill, but not strength. If he develops his strength to the point of being able to pound back at B1G bigs and becomes aggressive at using his shooting skills, he will be a very important contributor in a couple of years. Guys like that are not a dime a dozen. So much depends on his persistence and determination to give back as good as he takes his first two years. I could be wrong as who knows what these kids are thinking, but he just might become an Illini favorite. Meanwhile, lets see how Georgi develops as well as Calloo/Hinson if one decides to join. We now at least have bigs on the roster.

Awesome post!!!! Patience is always a vurtue with bigs. We need to give them time.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I am very, very impressed that Underwood punted on the Ramey situation.

Between taking Feliz and taking Ayo without regard for THT, Underwood has at least shown that he has some cajones. They may ultimately be bad decisions, but at least he's not sitting around letting other people make decisions and taking what's left.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Sounds like Ayo impressed at the JBC practice session

https://twitter.com/DELLISONSCOUT/status/982847902207873027
NBA scouts all front row for the Jordan Brand Classic Scrimmage...Illinois bound 5⭐️ PG 6’5 Ayo Dosunmu while known for his abilities to pass & score stood out today to scouts on the defensive end picking up his man 94ft

https://twitter.com/MarleyPaul22/status/982663755824877568
Jordan Brand Classic scrimmages welcomes a ton of NBA scouts and media.

LSU-bound Emmitt Williams, Florida’s Andrew Nembhard & Illini G Ayo Dosunmu among my standouts. Tre Jones (Duke) and Cole Swider (Villanova) + UNC guys Nassir Little and Coby White also had a good day.

I dont understand the line....."it seeks closer to the fact that we are even offering" .

I get that its late in the process, but I really like the class, given the late season transfer notices in March. Im glad we arent waiting until the summer to fill slots.

If you told me 45 days ago we would pick up Jones, Griffin, Kane and Ben as newcomers I would be very satisfied...Feliz is great pickup also.

BL, I believe we are in a stronger position than same time last year. Now the player development begins...

Right, but if I told you a year ago we would end up with that class it wouldn't sound as sweet. It's all a matter of perspective.

The reality is every commit in this class looks like they can fit in this system. But at the same time, only 2 of these guys were heavily recruited. It's definitely a "wait and see" class. For me, the Jones commitment saved this class from being a complete disappointment.

This staff is filling holes in March and April, the latest part of the recruiting year. I really hate the thought process that these are handpicked Underwood guys when it seeks closer to the fact we are even offering these players to begin with come from our failures as a program elsewhere (and those failures not all Underwood's fault to be fair).

Lol, I would like to see that second sentence diagrammed

Right, but if I told you a year ago we would end up with that class it wouldn't sound as sweet. It's all a matter of perspective.

The reality is every commit in this class looks like they can fit in this system. But at the same time, only 2 of these guys were heavily recruited. It's definitely a "wait and see" class. For me, the Jones commitment saved this class from being a complete disappointment.

Any class that includes Ayo is not a "complete disappointment."

Youre probably right, so let's try to view it that way. Knowing what we know now with turnover, what would have been the ideal but realistic class one year ago?

I think I'd rather have Casleton or Conditt over Bez and THT over Griffin but the latter wasn't going to happen. We didn't have any realistic top center options a year ago unless I'm forgetting someone. It seemed like we were thinking about a 5th year guy to come in even then.

Really excited to see Ayo love on the Jordan brand stream. Its on watchespn at 4 if people wanna check it out

For comparison, Groce's first true class was a lot better IMO. Here are their 247 composite rankings and some schools they took visits to or had offers from.

Colbert 124 Miami, Seton Hall, Villanova
Morgan 152 Wisconsin, Xavier, ND, Cincinatti
Nunn 56 Marquette, Ohio St, Mizzou, Zona
Tate 203 Marquette, Michigan, NW
Hill 70 pretty much every B1G team and more

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation

Wait until Ayo leaves for the NBA in 12 months (per his stated plan) and half of this class transfers? As Underwood says, “you expect roster turnover. You expect transfers.” :)

For comparison, Groce's first true class was a lot better IMO. Here are their 247 composite rankings and some schools they took visits to or had offers from.

Out of curiosity, what is the takeaway here?

And that class never made the dance in 4 years.

Out of curiosity, what is the takeaway here?

Thus far (still really early), Groce's staff was better at recruiting than this staff is.

To be far, this class turned out to be really awkward. It started out as a 2-3 man class and ended as a 6-7. But outside of Ayo, BU didn't get his guys in the Summer/Fall when it was a 2-3 man class.

Thus far (still really early), Groce's staff was better at recruiting than this staff is.

To be far, this class turned out to be really awkward. It started out as a 2-3 man class and ended as a 6-7. But outside of Ayo, BU didn't get his guys in the Summer/Fall when it was a 2-3 man class.

I think “better” is yet to be determined. The fun will be in seeing which is the case!

Deleted member 4960

D
He would have has THT if it has not been for the Irvin's. This complaining about this class is rediculous. He would of had a 5 star and 4 star in the 1st signing period. Now you had 4 kids leave the program and if you have to scramble late to fill out your team. I think he has done very well considering circumstances and what's available.

He would have has THT if it has not been for the Irvin's.

And he wouldn't have Ayo if it had not been for the Irvins. Period, end of story.

There is no possible alternate universe in which Ayo and THT play college basketball together. Not for us, not for Duke, not for Kentucky, not for the reanimated corpse of John Wooden.

A choice had to be made. We wasted a ton of time and resources in making our choice, and possibly burned future bridges, but we made our choice. And it was a sound choice and got us a very talented prospect.

Thus far, key words. Grats on Feliz commit, getting something is always better than nothing.

So far BU has selectively chose players to fill needs, although not highest rated, (which ratings are BS in some cases) to work in the system. Seems most all the guys have been winners, the culture thing, all remember?

Not going to chose starting lineup now, because it has no bearing ATM. Molding this group as a unit is only thing that is important, IMO.

Need another big, and as I see it , Okoro commit is farther away then we where. His reclassification coming with Oregon and PU visits, put us in backseat. Think we should be looking elsewhere. That getting something instead of nothing thing.

Good class so far let's see what happens next, need a lot of ink for the 11th.;):illinois:

Last edited:
I like this class for several reasons: 1. Great balance in positions 2. Long and athletic 3. Four above average shooters. 4. Potential for post defense.

Have to believe OA had a lot to do with LB's offensive improvement and Ebo's development. He now has raw material and doesn't have to bat 100%. The lack of a true 4 is our missing piece. We need a plug and play piece or a surprise development.

Wait until Ayo leaves for the NBA in 12 months (per his stated plan) and half of this class transfers? As Underwood says, “you expect roster turnover. You expect transfers.” :)

Your user name is odd, since literally every one of your posts is negative towards Illinois

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
#handwringyville

#maybenotus?

#illfans19

:D:illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.