Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,176      
2018 3 Star PF, 6’9, Bryce Golden included Illinois in his final 6 schools.

Illini
Uconn
Syracuse
Georgetown
Wichita
Butler

Is that list of schools good enough for some of you? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appears to be a Syracuse lock.....

#1,178      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I was more trying to answer the people saying "I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't be excited by all these great pickups, blah blah blah, best case scenario for all of our unranked guys".

The sky is not falling. We have a terrific young backcourt. I am higher than many on Kane and Ebo. Underwood remains a credible coach. There is time yet.

But I don't do blind faith unless Steve Winwood is involved. The truth is its own reward.

Yeah, just imagine if this were Indiana's class and we were looking at it from the outside. We'd be laughing our collective butts off at them, saying that “of course” they got the local 5* kid, but he has no jump shot, and Jones is fine, but the rest of the class is random loose change that may add up to something of value but more likely will be unproductive future Creaning targets. Perspective is everything. We see the bright side because the alternative is depressing.

#1,179      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL

Illini
Uconn
Syracuse
Georgetown
Wichita
Butler

Great, the Cuse, the Ghost of Georgetown, a school with a brand new coach and two mid-majors. :hand:

#1,180      
Yeah, just imagine if this were Indiana's class and we were looking at it from the outside. We'd be laughing our collective butts off at them, saying that “of course” they got the local 5* kid, but he has no jump shot, and Jones is fine, but the rest of the class is random loose change that may add up to something of value but more likely will be unproductive future Creaning targets. Perspective is everything. We see the bright side because the alternative is depressing.

But then you look at other recruiting classes and realize that most high majors other than the blue bloods sign an unranked guy or two each year.

#1,181      
Anyone know which site had Kane ranked as a 2019 prospect?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/225818/samba-kane

83 rating puts you in about the Top 75

Also would like to point out that one of ESPN’s strengths have him listed as a future double-double high post prospect thanks to his mid range game and rebounding. Says he has a high motor and good blocking ability with a knack for starting the fast break, but needs to work on patience, add some weight, and improve feet.

#1,183      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida

Illini
Uconn
Syracuse
Georgetown
Wichita
Butler

All of the other schools on that list are questioning his talent level BECAUSE the Illini are on the list...;)

#1,184      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
All of the other schools on that list are questioning his talent level BECAUSE the Illini are on the list...;)

OQ4QeVl.gif

#1,186      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I'd laugh at anyone who wants to tie together all these threads and call it a top ten class. But please don't give us some act of being a dispassionate observer who downgrades a class just to try to prove himself superior to the rest of us.

Wow, that escalated quickly! My point was simply that we as fans always downgrade the talent at schools we don’t like or hope we’re better than, and upgrade our own players (or at least the ones we haven’t seen play yet). We’ve been talking down Cuonzo all year, despite the fact that he’s been the tournament a lot more than we have. We talked up Finke, Smith, Alstork, Lucas, etc., at least until they suited up and began showing their limitations, at which point we began to pine for the next guys. In short, we’ve acted like fans. And you may note that I included “we” in my post — including myself in that group — in no way trying to say i’m superior to anyone, because I do all the same things.

#1,187      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
There have been posters who don't think this class is anything to shout about based on rankings. I think this is a good class irrespective of rankings. I think Griffin will be a very good player and I'm glad he wasn't ranked.

I'm still waiting for when Illinois gets a commitment from a 5* player and people confess to wishing he was unranked instead.

#1,188      

Deleted member 631370

D
Wow, that escalated quickly! My point was simply that we as fans always downgrade the talent at schools we don’t like or hope we’re better than, and upgrade our own players (or at least the ones we haven’t seen play yet). We’ve been talking down Cuonzo all year, despite the fact that he’s been the tournament a lot more than we have. We talked up Finke, Smith, Alstork, Lucas, etc., at least until they suited up and began showing their limitations, at which point we began to pine for the next guys. In short, we’ve acted like fans. And you may note that I included “we” in my post — including myself in that group — in no way trying to say i’m superior to anyone, because I do all the same things.

Actually, Cuonzo has been to the tournament 3 times in 10 years. Only once at Mizzou, obviously. By comparison, Underwood has been to 4 tournaments in 5 years. So if the comparison is Cuonzo to Underwood -- rather than Cuonzo to Illinois (which we would all agree that Groce sucked) -- that's worth noting.

But yes, you are correct in that we overstate our success and understate the success of others. In that sense, we behave in a partisan, biased way.......like most sports fans.

There are some on this board (no need to name names....I think it's clear who, and it's not you from what I can tell) who peddle this notion that they alone represent objectivity amid the ignorant masses. The problem is, such people can take their devil's advocate schtick too far, and actually look foolish in their own right by going to extreme lengths to downplay successes we have and predict great doom and gloom. If somebody wants to be a pessimist, that's fine -- Lord knows there's precedent for why pessimism is warranted. But at least dispense with the notion that you're the lone intellectual radiating your revelatory light upon the mindless masses in need of truth.

#1,189      

haasi

New York
There are some on this board (no need to name names....I think it's clear who, and it's not you from what I can tell) who peddle this notion that they alone represent objectivity amid the ignorant masses.... But at least dispense with the notion that you're the lone intellectual radiating your revelatory light upon the mindless masses in need of truth.

Thank you. This post is long overdue.

Tevo is terrific btw- always enjoy your posts.

#1,191      

Deleted member 654622

D
Actually, Cuonzo has been to the tournament 3 times in 10 years. Only once at Mizzou, obviously. By comparison, Underwood has been to 4 tournaments in 5 years. So if the comparison is Cuonzo to Underwood -- rather than Cuonzo to Illinois (which we would all agree that Groce sucked) -- that's worth noting.

But yes, you are correct in that we overstate our success and understate the success of others. In that sense, we behave in a partisan, biased way.......like most sports fans.

There are some on this board (no need to name names....I think it's clear who, and it's not you from what I can tell) who peddle this notion that they alone represent objectivity amid the ignorant masses. The problem is, such people can take their devil's advocate schtick too far, and actually look foolish in their own right by going to extreme lengths to downplay successes we have and predict great doom and gloom. If somebody wants to be a pessimist, that's fine -- Lord knows there's precedent for why pessimism is warranted. But at least dispense with the notion that you're the lone intellectual radiating your revelatory light upon the mindless masses in need of truth.

I will say, along with the research done here, I really appreciate this fan base's way with words. If we as a fan base on this board were a movie character, I see us as V, from V for Vendetta

#1,192      

haasi

New York
We should have hired Cuonzo Martin

Banish him! Banish him!

In actuality, Cuonzo definitely a great recruiter and seeing early recruiting returns, but by all accounts he’s a mediocre coach unlikely to achieve real success. So I’ll stick with Underwood for now, 14-18 first season and all.

#1,194      

Deleted member 631370

D
Thank you. This post is long overdue.

Tevo is terrific btw- always enjoy your posts.

Agreed. Always appreciate Tevo's posts. And I appreciate the posts of those who I was describing above, as well. It's a different perspective, albeit one that rubs me the wrong way at times.

#1,195      

haasi

New York
Agreed. Always appreciate Tevo's posts. And I appreciate the posts of those who I was describing above, as well. It's a different perspective, albeit one that rubs me the wrong way at times.

I often appreciate the posts of those who are knowledgeable and have strong opinions, even if I disagree with them. What I don’t appreciate is condescending certitude. Even if someone is convinced he’s right and everyone else is wrong, condescension is very offputting and IMO does a disservice to their legitimate, informed arguments.

#1,199      

Is that something like appearing to be the smartest one in the room (or in some cases, in this forum)? :D

#1,200      

IlliniinNJ

Cherry Hill, NJ
In two years, we will all be talking about what a brilliant hire Underwood was or who our next coach should be. Let's wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.