Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      

Kostas

Naperville, IL
Welcome to the new Illi-NI!

Still 1 schollie to go...who's it gonna be boys: Hinson, Callou, or "other"?

#1,407      
So, he had "more than 19 Div 1 offers".
Doesn't that just mean 20? Why not say 20?
Just thought it was a funny way to say the bigger number.

I thought the same thing, but that video was definitely not a must see... I'd rather watch the cone hit that chick for 1:30 instead

#1,408      
Wait a sec. How is he eligible, then?

Young players on these professional clubs typically aren't given anything more than room and board to remain with the team. They're essentially just youth team trainees. There is no high school basketball to speak of in Europe.

The Enes Kanter situation occurred because he was so gifted at such a young age he essentially became a full senior professional. (That case was kind of a mess, Kanter had explicitly turned down lucrative European offers in order to remain college eligible, but that's the NCAA for you. Let it not be said that Kentucky gets everything decided in their favor)

This is all grossly hypocritical of course. Giorgi was probably "paid" more money for his services as a basketball player than most of the kids who are made into cartoon villains by the media in the US. But because this is the only route in Europe for players of any quality, treating living stipends for youth players as an NCAA violation would essentially ban Europeans from college basketball, which isn't an outcome that anyone wants. The NCAA is perfectly capable of being practical when it wants to/has to.

#1,410      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
According to Twitter, Giorgi was born in Georgia, moved to Austria, and then only to the United States last year. He had previously been playing with an Austrian professional club.

Do I have to rehash this again?

#1,416      
Florida #Gators offer Hoops Report’s top-ranked freshman in Illinois, Max Christie of Rolling Meadows......offer list growing rapidly

#1,420      
#EverydayGuys

5 of 8 high school recruits that this staff has brought in are foreign-born. I like the cultural diversity it brings to the team and hope that it helps to create great chemistry. We've also recruited from CA to NY/NJ - all across the United States. It is something we haven't really seen during my time as a fan (ever?).

Ebo
Matic

Samba
Giorgi
Feliz

#1,421      
Yeah this staff is showing they aren't afraid to guys just because they aren't from Illinois/Midwest. It's nice to get 3/4 top guys every year from Illinois, but this shows we are going after the player, not his birthplace.

#1,425      
I would imagine after the in-home with Okoro, the staff will either keep pushing for him or move on to Golden or Hinson or Calloo. Just like last week after they met with Ramey.

Status
Not open for further replies.