Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,476      

Kramer116

Chicago
I don't think this coach would survive long enough for it to achieve normal pattern status if that's what's going to keep happening, to be very frank.

A young project who's not hacking it every now and again? Sure. There will be at least one next year, guaranteed. But the Smith and Black type situations cannot be a regular occurrence for a stable, successful program.

Smith type transfers happen, I do agree you do not want it every year but it happens. Sometimes kids just don't work out for one reason or another.

Not sure why you are complaining about Black? Sure we would have loved him to stay, but a kid's ultimate goal is to go pro usually so can't blame him for not wanting to come back one more year when he cane make money. I mean hell that is our ultimate goal for all of our players, to go pro.

As a program looking back the past like 10+ years, we average 1.5 transfers per year. IIRC, there were over 800 transfers in the NCAA last year and I am sure definitely on pace for that or higher. It is what it is, this is how it works nowadays.

Maybe I look at it way differently. If you can't land the higher ranked bigs, I am all for taking flyers on guys. If after a year or two they do not fit or you can improve, go for it until you hit on the right guys.

The problem we have had for years is not good enough players. And holding onto those not good enough players for too long which just leads to losses and losses.

I love where we are now compared to 2 months ago a million times over.

#1,477      
I hope that moving forward every single four star recruit for Illinois that has to make a medical redshirt

1) earns their degree in their fourth year here, and

2) develops well enough to get a pro contract somewhere.

You've spent a great deal of time in this thread the last few weeks bemoaning development and the lack of it. Here's a player that developed and opened up opportunities for himself and this is a situation that should be avoided?

Black's marked improvement under BU and Coach O really gives me hope for Ebo and Kane.

#1,479      
Trent-Ayo-Jones-Kipper-Okoro would be a Top 5 starting lineup in the B1G next year and tournament caliber. Our bench is another story and could range honestly anywhere. My point is that right now Okoro could change the whole outlook for our team next year and the heights we can reach.

I like Okoro a lot but I believe his immediate impact is overstated in your post.

He has only played basketball for 3 years. He has a mountain of natural talent but I think he has a lot to learn still.

#1,481      
This kid would be a monster addition. If we only give 1 ride in 2019 and it goes to him, I wouldn't be upset. Would rather have Liddell but Whitney would be much more than a consolation prize.

Let’s be clear Whitney is not a consolation prize. His upside is thru the roof. I rather have him over Liddell period.

#1,483      
Let’s be clear Whitney is not a consolation prize. His upside is thru the roof. I rather have him over Liddell period.

Eh, think Liddell is bigger get, especially for us. Whitney's athleticism is out of this world, but he's quite a bit smaller than Liddell. Liddell has a body that is ready for B1G play immediately.

#1,484      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80

+1 to Whitney not being a consolation prize. I know rankings aren't everything, but FWIW, they are ranked very closely (52 v. 56). That said, I prefer Liddell because of roster makeup.

#1,486      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
So the two pieces that looked like news to me from that press conference:

We're still looking for a big guy who can score, and Underwood doesn't want to just add a 5th year.

Relatedly, he said he doesn't really believe in class balance anymore because of how common transfers (read: Creanings) are now.

Not sure that's the wisest way to build something sustainable, but that's what he said.

Creanings aren't the only way/reason that these transfers occur. These days, if a kid comes in with high hopes and doesn't play as much as he (or his camp/family/influences) feels that he should, they transfer after one year, instead of working harder to EARN playing time in the following seasons(based on performance).

I guess that I don't assume every transfer is a Crean. Many of them occur because these kids are used to getting everything now and not as willing to work for playing time a couple years later. This might also be the reason we don't seem to see as many red-shirt years at the P5 levels as we did in the past. A lot of kids see things as "No play, no stay".

More kids need to approach things like AJ has during his career with the Illini. His patience and hard work has paid off greatly and hopefully he will take another step up next season.

I'm with you, not a fan of Creaning as a way of life.

Last edited:
#1,487      
Ayo has a great feel for the game and can make contributions beyond points. I think he will struggle scoring his first year unless he improves his outside shooting. He may just be a taller version of Lucas his freshman year.

A taller version of Lucas is a bad take. Ayo gets criticized for his outside shot because it's not very pretty. I think he is going to surprise some people with his outside shooting. I have never seen a top 30 recruit get criticized so much on this board.

#1,489      
+1 to Whitney not being a consolation prize. I know rankings aren't everything, but FWIW, they are ranked very closely (52 v. 56). That said, I prefer Liddell because of roster makeup.

I say we take both. Whitney adds a NBA level talent. I'd be pretty happy with him.

#1,491      
I get it, but for one thing I still find Creaning gross even as it has become increasingly destigmatized, and secondly I don't remember who said it, but there was a recent quote about West Virginia that they "get old and stay old". I think that's the way you win, especially as a system team.

Signing 6 freshman in your first full class doesn't prevent that from happening, but my fear is that roster chaos begets roster chaos.

I was thinking the same thing before Underwood said it. It is not all Creaning, it is the players and their parents/coaches/advocates as well. I'm not convinced all the players that left Illinois were "creaned". It just seems like the players jump early to the pros (NBA, G leaduge, overseas) or transfer for better or lesser competition.

#1,493      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
I think you're largely right, but it's not necessarily a question of willingness to work hard or not being willing to wait. Tejon Lucas working hard at Bradley is going to yield more playing time than working hard at Illinois. There's nothing wrong with deciding you want to play at a different/lower level. To each his own.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a lateral or downward move. Kids need to find what fits them the best. Some kids stay the course, some kids don't. My main point was that, just because a kid transfers, doesn't mean he was Creaned.

#1,495      
With the guys all being signed, and BU saying he is looking for a big, makes you feel good. We all want, and staff looking for the same thing. With the group we have coming, talent upgrade yes, but lacking experience. Hope the staff will indoctrinated guys fast, Fletch work his magic and we ready for fall. Getting the whole group here for summer would be great, get the jump and the system.

One thing alot all not really mention, is Damonte. We all missing the fact he will be a key to alot that happens next season. At the end of the year,, he was rebounding, good D, and making FT. I know his shot was lacking, but I still think his improvement will be there, his stroke is good, more practice will fix a %.

Not gonna make predictions, way to early, but BU seems pleased, now see what he can do with his guys.;):illinois:

#1,497      
A taller version of Lucas is a bad take. Ayo gets criticized for his outside shot because it's not very pretty. I think he is going to surprise some people with his outside shooting. I have never seen a top 30 recruit get criticized so much on this board.

I hope I’m wrong, but once teams figure out they can back off the shooter and play the drive, it’s Lucas all over again. Lucas plays good D , gets steals and gets to the hoop when he gets the chance. Again, I hope Ayo proves me wrong.

#1,498      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
It is an overrated topic, very biased in perspective. Every player that leaves/transfers from a rival, it is creaning or was forced out, every kid that leaves our school (and that goes for multiple fanbases) he either did not work hard, did not earn playing time, or it was his decision to leave.

Transfers are pretty much the same, not a pleasant situation where there is a break up in the the relationship. The rest is hearsay and totally biased perspectives.

I agree, but it seems that there are quite a few on here claiming that most (or all) of this current year's transfers were Creaned by BU. Why are these biases now that we Crean as well?

My point was that not all transfers now, or in the future, are a result of us Creaning someone. Sometimes, the relationship just doesn't work out and no one is at fault. Everyone is always looking to blame someone...

#1,499      

blackdog

Champaign
I hope I’m wrong, but once teams figure out they can back off the shooter and play the drive, it’s Lucas all over again. Lucas plays good D , gets steals and gets to the hoop when he gets the chance. Again, I hope Ayo proves me wrong.

There is also a huge difference between a 6'4 (and long) guy driving inside and a 6'0 guy. Add to that Ayo is definitely a willing shooter and even if he is not a great shooter he is at least respectable so defenders can't just leave him wide open.

#1,500      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.