Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,651      
Yeah, people used to criticize him for getting easy rebounds on opponent's FT misses. Classic...

I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. The guys of that time played immediately after a great run of success for our program. If we were to see similar production today, we would be ecstatic.

#1,652      

illini80

Forgottonia
I think it's mostly a matter of perspective. The guys of that time played immediately after a great run of success for our program. If we were to see similar production today, we would be ecstatic.

True. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

#1,653      

So true, we could really use a Shaun Pruitt right now, free throw shooting and all lol

#1,657      
Bump. Thought this was a significant question and did not see it get answered. I agree that there seems to be (or was) a lot of optimism around Okoro, but I cannot now recall why that was the case.

Was there ever a genuine reason for to get involved with Ayo besides where he lives?

#1,658      
Was there ever a genuine reason for to get involved with Ayo besides where he lives?

Because one of our assistant coaches is deeply tied with both his high school and AAU teams? And because he was publicly expressing interest the entire time?

Did Okoro play for the Mac Irvin Fire? Is that why someone mentioned a connection with Ayo?

#1,659      
We have been recruiting Ayo for 4 years I think. Im sure we have a fairly long relationship with Okoro.

On why optimism?...in general this board is optimistic on local recruits. Saw it with Brunson and others. I'm sure the coaches get signals from recruits, families and coaches....members of this board don't have alot of visibility of those signals. I hope we get Okoro...he would be a phenomenal get. My optimism is tempered based on his official to Oregon. I think our surrounding talent and system would enable him to thrive and meet his personal goals.

On a side note, we need some Hummus wisdom today, please!

#1,660      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Ugh. Thanks for the nightmare. That Indiana game where he missed free throws THREE TIMES that could have won the Eric Gordon game still haunt me!!!!!:tsk:

One of the most fun - but disappointing games I've ever attended. I had a BLAST in the crowd yelling many things not suited for TV, hoping to get picked up on the TV audio. I was at the FF in 2005 - this game was more of an electric atmosphere, IMO (maybe since it was a more intimate setting as a home game vs. a football stadium)

Go Illini :chief:

#1,661      
LOL all the talk about Malcolm. Dude was what he was and what he was and is a Professional making money and still making headlines. He was one of our all time best and if any of our recruits come close to him and his production we should be happy. Illinois did not go to the tourney during his tenure at Illinois. That fact was not because of Malcolm. It was because of the team. Malcolm was first string on any big ten team. We should be so lucky again. ILL:shield::chief:

Exactly. That wasn't an affront to Malcolm. He was/is an extremely effective player and scorer despite having a low release on his jumper. And average athleticism. His skill level is through the roof (as noted by the poster below).

But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.

See above. I understand Malcolm had an elite ability to create separation. Not saying or expecting Tevian or Ayo to get to that level of skill necessarily, but their low releases can be overcome in other ways. I expect there will be an adjustment period for both (and a good deal of blocked shots) but also think both have traits that can help them overcome their low release sooner rather than later (pure athleticism for Tevian, craftiness/scorer's mentality for Ayo). Your point is that Malcolm is exceptional, and that is true, but it doesn't mean other exceptional players - i.e. Ayo - can't be exceptional in other ways to overcome a perceived flaw.

Tevian's and Ayo's shots are also not broken, just off on the release point. It's fixable enough to expect a good deal of yearly improvement.

#1,662      
One of the most fun - but disappointing games I've ever attended. I had a BLAST in the crowd yelling many things not suited for TV, hoping to get picked up on the TV audio. I was at the FF in 2005 - this game was more of an electric atmosphere, IMO (maybe since it was a more intimate setting as a home game vs. a football stadium)

Go Illini :chief:

Yes. That was the best environment of any sporting event I've ever attended.

#1,663      
But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.
On Malcolm and recruiting....he is a phenomenal Illini that goes to show what BB IQ and hard work really make a difference for recruits and our young guys.

He perfected that step back because he knew he needed it to gain advantage in the college game. He honed a sweet stroke...would bet over 100,000 practice shots. He was rarely out hustled or outworked. Immensely overachieved as a college player. Love that guy!

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#1,665      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
On Malcolm and recruiting....he is a phenomenal Illini that goes to show what BB IQ and hard work really make a difference for recruits and our young guys.

He perfected that step back because he knew he needed it to gain advantage in the college game. He honed a sweet stroke...would bet over 100,000 practice shots. He was rarely out hustled or outworked. Immensely overachieved as a college player. Love that guy!

No argument with any of that. I just wish we could end that "hard work pays off" story with a triumphant exclamation point of some kind, instead of a sad, quiet, riding off into the sunset.

#1,666      
Yes. That was the best environment of any sporting event I've ever attended.

That was a fun game. Jeff Frank and I were at that one together. Who could forget the Shaun Pruitt FT debacle. Or the Chester pre-game chest bump to Gordon.

#1,670      
The Illini-Iowa game when Kauffman hit that shot was the best I attended. The Bruce Pearl incident and probation were still so fresh in everyone's mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1E_MoJJ_E

I kinda liked EJs shot in 79 to beat Magic or the one we were down big time to Iowa and BJ Armstrong late and stormed back for the W after many had parted.

Unfortunately we lost the next game to a really good OSU team or would a been #1. We will get back there. I think BU is on the right track with these new additions.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,672      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I absolutely hope defenses sag off of Ayo! I don't care how shallow your shot is, if there's nobody in front of him, we'll all see his shooting ability!:illinois:

#1,673      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
No thanks. Shaun Pruitt was a black hole and would be terrible in Underwood's offense. If he struggled with Bruce's motion offense, he'd be worse in BU's.

So true. Underwood would stroke out every time Pruitt caught the ball at the pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.