Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,926      
Underwood's mentor, Frank Martin, and his class size signings at SC:

7 guys (2013)
4 guys (2014)
6 guys (2015)
5 guys (2016)
5 guys (2017)

#1,927      
Who would rather have Golden?
And who would rather have Hinson?

Based on current roster structure & immediate needs.

I am deeply conflicted. Hinson is the better basketball player, Golden is the better fit.

I'd be very pleased with either and I will defer to the staff on making such decisions. It certainly seems like they're going harder after Golden.

#1,929      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I am deeply conflicted. Hinson is the better basketball player, Golden is the better fit.

I'd be very pleased with either and I will defer to the staff on making such decisions. It certainly seems like they're going harder after Golden.

GO FOR THE GOLDEN

#1,930      
The flood of Crystal Balls to Syracuse means he just took a visit there, and the "experts" are trying to be the first one to guess that he's going there so they get more "247 Points" or whatever. The longer they have a pick locked in before the kid's decision, the more "insider status" they get. And as soon as one person switches, it starts a chain reaction. Kind of a farce, like insiders on this board. :thumb:

I'm not saying that you're incorrect; I'm just saying that the Crystal Ball trends can't always be trusted.

I also love how they have the hidden VIP picks now. All of Golden's picks are to Syracuse. Hmmmm, I wonder what these VIP ultra-insiders could have possibly picked for his destination?!?!?

#1,933      
Underwood's mentor, Frank Martin, and his class size signings at SC:

7 guys (2013)
4 guys (2014)
6 guys (2015)
5 guys (2016)
5 guys (2017)

Yeah Huggins has brought a couple of 7 man classes to WVU too.

Underwood said himself he doesn't believe in class balance anymore with all the transfers in CBB.

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him ;)

#1,934      
I also love how they have the hidden VIP picks now. All of Golden's picks are to Syracuse. Hmmmm, I wonder what these VIP ultra-insiders could have possibly picked for his destination?!?!?

Yea, the VIP hidden picks are hilarious and poorly executed.

#1,935      

illini80

Forgottonia
I don't see Golden ranked in the top 150. Wouldn't we wait until Hinson visits before taking Golden if he was interested? To me, Hinson is more ready to contribute with his size and strength.

#1,936      
Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't look like Griffin's 247 composite score has been updated to correspond with his ranking bump on Rivals.

Takes about a full day to update I assume will be in about mid 200’s

#1,938      
I don't see Golden ranked in the top 150. Wouldn't we wait until Hinson visits before taking Golden if he was interested? To me, Hinson is more ready to contribute with his size and strength.

Just the opposite.

That is one reason he is visiting first.

#1,939      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Just the opposite.

That is one reason he is visiting first.

Really, really like Golden a lot (based on highlights). He seems like he's everything I wanted Finke to be. Hope the Cuse CBs are based on him visiting recently/nothing legit.

Last edited:
#1,940      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Although the Ramey ship has sailed, here is an interesting tweet from Even Daniel that suggest Louisville, Missouri and Texas to have in homes this week. I thought Louisville was out of the picture:

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/985937341490585600

I mean, Louisville self-disclosed his name at Mack's press conference with the understanding that they could self-disclose his name because they no longer were recruiting him (nor were they going to recruit him), so this seems dubious at best.

#1,941      

illini80

Forgottonia
May depend if Hinson thinks he's a guard or a forward.

Which Blake Hinson are you talking about? I've seen two videos that don't appear to be the same guy. One from Florida and one from Kansas. My understanding is the guy from Sunrise Christian Academy is the one we are recruiting as a PF. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#1,942      
Really, really like Golden a lot (based on highlights). He seems like he's everything I wanted Finke to be. Hope the Cuse CBs are based on him visiting recently/nothing legit.

I think it's based on:
1. Recently visited
2. Wants to play in the ACC
3. His parents want to watch him as much as possible (they live in Virginia, near the Maryland border)
4. The success of the Syracuse program over the years.
5. Syracuse beat writer made his pick and a few followed.
5. The tweet by him mom

But in reality, who really knows. I think Underwood and crew will do whatever it takes (without pulling an Adidas) to impress this kid and family.

I wonder if they will have an open gym?

#1,943      
Which Blake Hinson are you talking about? I've seen two videos that don't appear to be the same guy. One from Florida and one from Kansas. My understanding is the guy from Sunrise Christian Academy is the one we are recruiting as a PF. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably the same guy, Hinson is originally from Florida (Orlando area) but transferred to prep school at Sunrise Academy in Kansas.

#1,946      
Rivals releases their final top 150... and Alan Griffin makes the list! #149. Ayo 28, Tevian Jones #82
https://twitter.com/UIHoopsRecruits/status/985919399075950592
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2018

Ummmm - did y'all happen to notice where THT landed? Just a couple clicks below Ayo.

I'm still ticked (at whom? - I have no idea) that a scenario of Ayo / THT playing together couldn't be a reality. Seriously, what could have possibly happened to get it to that point? Someone steal someone's girlfriend?

Nevermind, no conjecture please.

#1,947      

illini80

Forgottonia
Ummmm - did y'all happen to notice where THT landed? Just a couple clicks below Ayo.

I'm still ticked (at whom? - I have no idea) that a scenario of Ayo / THT playing together couldn't be a reality. Seriously, what could have possibly happened to get it to that point? Someone steal someone's girlfriend?

It was all about THT leaving the MIF. Lot of butt hurt over that. The kids were not the problem.

#1,950      

You wonder if we had landed THT, Nolley and Castleton in the Fall if this roster blowup would have occurred. We were pretty close to a class of Ayo and those 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.