Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,026      
As impressed as the Illini nation was this season with Trent Frazier, I feel as though this upcoming season will be about the introduction of a once in a decade or so basketball talent in Ayo. My expectations for him are through the roof. He has next level vision and ball control along with good size for a college or pro guard. His shot is unique and might be an area he has to adapt to quickly at the college level but the other things he does very well will more than cover up that short learning curve.

I will be shocked if he plays more than 2 season of college ball. I go back and forth on hyping up a player so much. Sometimes you watch a player over and over and you realize this guy has the basketball IQ/talent to take that hype and then some and perform beyond it. I'm very glad he chose to play ball at my school.

I think we will see a big bump in wins this season because of amazing guard play.

Just to give you perspective. Matthews was a McAA entering 4th year of post hs career. Extremely good NCAA run but many feel he needs to get his jumper right.

Think Ayo will be really good, but needs several years of college to improve game.

#2,027      
Just to give you perspective. Matthews was a McAA entering 4th year of post hs career. Extremely good NCAA run but many feel he needs to get his jumper right.

Think Ayo will be really good, but needs several years of college to improve game.

That’s not what pro scouts thought when they saw him at the Jordan Brand practices. The kid will be here 2 years max. He is that good. Once he gain strength and redefine his shot lookout.

#2,028      

I see that video and I think okoro is in the pinch post year one as much as fouls/conditioning allows. Hopefully he is able to eat up enough time so other minutes can be split by ebo, Samba and giorgi. Worst case scenario all 4 of those guys give us 10mpg each due to fouls and typical big man learning curve.

But going into the second year, I’m sure okoro would do a lot more work like what’s seen on the video, so he can play in the 4 out or the pinch post. Dream scenario is kane develops a bit in that offseason and You have the height and athleticism between those two that makes scoring around the rim very uncomfortable for the other team, but the skill level is there to not miss a beat on offense.

A man can dream.

#2,029      
As impressed as the Illini nation was this season with Trent Frazier, I feel as though this upcoming season will be about the introduction of a once in a decade or so basketball talent in Ayo. My expectations for him are through the roof. He has next level vision and ball control along with good size for a college or pro guard. His shot is unique and might be an area he has to adapt to quickly at the college level but the other things he does very well will more than cover up that short learning curve.

I will be shocked if he plays more than 2 season of college ball. I go back and forth on hyping up a player so much. Sometimes you watch a player over and over and you realize this guy has the basketball IQ/talent to take that hype and then some and perform beyond it. I'm very glad he chose to play ball at my school.

I think we will see a big bump in wins this season because of amazing guard play.

I see a 4 year player. Jumper needs work, speed of the college game will get to him right away. He is a great finisher, but that is a tough transition to the college game with more athleticism and size. The lane fills up quickly in the college game.

I just don't see it. This old guys been wrong before though.

#2,030      
That’s not what pro scouts thought when they saw him at the Jordan Brand practices. The kid will be here 2 years max. He is that good. Once he gain strength and redefine his shot lookout.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Ayo in the NBA in two years if he's hoping to be a first round draft pick.

#2,031      
I see a 4 year player. Jumper needs work, speed of the college game will get to him right away. He is a great finisher, but that is a tough transition to the college game with more athleticism and size. The lane fills up quickly in the college game.

I just don't see it. This old guys been wrong before though.

I've only seen highlights, but I see the concern here. He's not physically developed yet, and I wonder about his durability given his attacking style (which I love!). I am not concerned about our back-court with him coming in. He and Trent are passionate players, and that should be fun to watch if the new players can make progress understanding the offense.

#2,035      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Doesn't surprise... wasn't most of the Hinson/Illini smoke prior to Jones committing? Between Jones and Griffin PT on the wing doesn't seem as wide open as it was.

Based on Hinson's offer/visit list, I don't think the college coaching community is as high on him as this board has been.

#2,038      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
#2,043      
Doesn't surprise... wasn't most of the Hinson/Illini smoke prior to Jones committing? Between Jones and Griffin PT on the wing doesn't seem as wide open as it was.

Griffin is ideally a 2 for me.

If we're going to have a lineup well suited for Underwoodball I'm pretty much shifting everyone down a position. Length, length, length.

#2,044      
This is a good thing not a bad thing!

I agree that Ayo is most likely a 4 year player. I wouldn’t call it a bad thing but if he’s going to be here for four years that means not tremendous production the first couple of years most likely. This team could really use some instant impact players. If you could trade a four year player for someone who is going to have a more immediate impact I think you would do it. Having said that I am thrilled to have Ayo on board!

#2,045      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Golden would fill an immediate need/depth issue, and shouldn't affect the Okoro recruitment (unless he reclassifies). I don't want one more than the other, but I think Okoro has a much higher ceiling than Golden. I mean, have you seen this video...

https://twitter.com/chibestfrank88/status/965787008437276674

My rationale is this: I think finding a big that can operate in the pinch post, hit a three in the pick-n-pop, and finish around the rim would be an absolute gamechanger for this offense. Golden ticks all those boxes. We saw what Underwood was able to do with Tyler Walkup, who was also adept at all those things, but was 6'4". Golden is a legit 6'9".

Don't get me wrong, Okoro is a beast, and I certainly want him to be an Illini, but at this point his offensive game is significantly more limited. Yes, he would be our best rebounder and shot-blocker as soon as he arrived on campus, but IMO those skills aren't as rare as what Golden can bring.

#2,046      
I agree that Ayo is most likely a 4 year player. I wouldn’t call it a bad thing but if he’s going to be here for four years that means not tremendous production the first couple of years most likely. This team could really use some instant impact players. If you could trade a four year player for someone who is going to have a more immediate impact I think you would do it. Having said that I am thrilled to have Ayo on board!

Ayo will have an instant impact. He's not going to have a Kobe-like usage rate, nor should we want him to in this offense with Trent Frazier next to him, but he's got tools to work with that we haven't seen in awhile here. I'm not sure we've had a first step and crossover like that since Frank Williams. With his length and finishing ability that's going to impact games even if not in a volume scoring sense.

As a focal point there is some development left to go. But he's a guy you'd better not be closing out off-balance on from day 1. Like Mark Alstork, except the exact opposite.

#2,047      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Based on Hinson's offer/visit list, I don't think the college coaching community is as high on him as this board has been.

And not ALL on this board are high on him.

#2,049      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Ayo will have an instant impact. He's not going to have a Kobe-like usage rate, nor should we want him to in this offense with Trent Frazier next to him, but he's got tools to work with that we haven't seen in awhile here. I'm not sure we've had a first step and crossover like that since Frank Williams. With his length and finishing ability that's going to impact games even if not in a volume scoring sense.

As a focal point there is some development left to go. But he's a guy you'd better not be closing out off-balance on from day 1. Like Mark Alstork, except the exact opposite.

That was gold.

#2,050      
I've been comparing him to Sir Frank for a while now. Same size and ball handling ability. He gets wherever he wants on the floor.

Ayo's actually bigger and longer than Frank was, but he's not the same kind of electric athlete or showstopping dime-dropper.

Frank is probably my favorite Illini ever, I wouldn't pass out that comp lightly. The closest I've seen among players we've been involved with in recent years is JaQuan Lyle (complete with the hot-and-cold motor and general flakiness, it would appear).

Status
Not open for further replies.