Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,376      
Just wondering where you saw that? Not saying your wrong just curious where it was reported.

Was off of a Piper twitter feed in the comments section by a poster. That's why I put "reported".

#2,377      
247 Sports Composite now has Ayo as the highest rated Illinois recruit in the last 17 (that's as far back as they went) years.

Last edited:
#2,382      

haasi

New York
Good looking shot, moves well, has decent athleticism. He could probably stand to work on finishing with his left some, but he seems to me like what we all hoped Finke should have been but more athletic.

How does he compare to Griffey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,386      
Man, seeing Ayo next to the Answer gave me some goosebumps! haha. Ayo is a lot taller than I thought (or maybe AI isn't as tall as I initially though) . Either way , I am so stoked that Ayo is an Illini !

#2,389      
He's either exceptionally long or possibly still growing. I'm okay with the former but the latter would make him an intriguing NBA prospect sooner than later. I love Jones and I'm not trying to hype him up too much but he's the kind of kid that wouldn't surprise me at all if he went from being an under the radar prospect to being on mock drafts after a year or two, just due to his potential and length.

I think Jones is a steal as well. Long, athletic and can score from all 3 levels. Displays a knack for anticipating passes for breakaway dunks. Shows a lot of competitiveness too. I think we’ll see sooner than later that our best lineup will be Trent, Ayo, Tevian, Kipper and a big.

#2,390      

haasi

New York
McBride #4. Mike Henry #10. Malcolm 15. BP 25. That’s about all you need to know.

#2,391      
I think Jones is a steal as well. Long, athletic and can score from all 3 levels. Displays a knack for anticipating passes for breakaway dunks. Shows a lot of competitiveness too. I think we’ll see sooner than later that our best lineup will be Trent, Ayo, Tevian, Kipper and a big.

Think the big will be Ebo initially and Kane by the end of season. Tevian may not be opening day starter (probably AJ) but soon after.

#2,392      

illini80

Forgottonia
Great job Illini Nation! Already over 3 times the number of likes on Golden's mothers tweet about the visit vs her nearly identical tweet after Syracuse. Certainly can't hurt our chances. According to Kedric, they didn't expect to be so impressed and he thinks if mom can be won over it would be big.

#2,394      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL

I was trying to decide how many of those guys met, exceeded or failed to meet their expectations based on rating. My natural Illini pessimism is that man you did not meet their expectations, and few really exceeded them.

But seeing Mike Davis down at a rank in the 400's and then remembering what a double double machine he was, he has to be among the leaders in exceeding his rating.

#2,395      

haasi

New York
That’s the key- you’ve got to have a staff that can either recruit 5 star talent regularly or will get more out of recruits than their ranking- that means identifying underrated players, developing players, and developing team chemistry. Even with a guy like Golden- who is borderline 4 stars- to me he looks like he could be in the range of Tyler Griffey 2.0 (which is not bad, significantly better than where Giorgi projects) but whether he ends up being a really exciting piece, and whether Giorgi significantly outperforms his ranking, is yet undetermined and dependent in no small part on the staff. We’ll see.

#2,396      
I was trying to decide how many of those guys met, exceeded or failed to meet their expectations based on rating. My natural Illini pessimism is that man you did not meet their expectations, and few really exceeded them.

But seeing Mike Davis down at a rank in the 400's and then remembering what a double double machine he was, he has to be among the leaders in exceeding his rating.

Yes it would be an interesting study. Not sure why that 2002 group is not included. Mike Davis certainly wins the exceeds award along with Trent. Failed list has to have Darius Paul near the top.

#2,398      

haasi

New York
Yes it would be an interesting study. Not sure why that 2002 group is not included. Mike Davis certainly wins the exceeds award along with Trent. Failed list has to have Darius Paul near the top.

I’d say Mike Shaw? Darius Paul didn’t fail as a basketball player. He failed as a citizen- who knows how good he would have been for us.

#2,399      
That’s the key- you’ve got to have a staff that can either recruit 5 star talent regularly or will get more out of recruits than their ranking- that means identifying underrated players, developing players, and developing team chemistry. Even with a guy like Golden- who is borderline 4 stars- to me he looks like he could be in the range of Tyler Griffey 2.0 (which is not bad, significantly better than where Giorgi projects) but whether he ends up being a really exciting piece, and whether Giorgi significantly outperforms his ranking, is yet undetermined and dependent in no small part on the staff. We’ll see.

Golden ended up with a 247 composite score of .8894. This is right around DMW and just below Griffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.