Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,401      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Yes it would be an interesting study. Not sure why that 2002 group is not included. Mike Davis certainly wins the exceeds award along with Trent. Failed list has to have Darius Paul near the top.

While I liked teams he played on, Rich McBride as the fourth-highest rated guy on that list is incredible in retrospect. I liked Brian Randle as a dude, but #7? Mychael Henry and Mike Shaw.. ugh.

#2,402      
Meyers Leonard at 7’0 240 with that athleticism to not be rated a FiveStar is a straight up crime.

Remember these are their senior in HS ratings and ML was not a consensus 5 star. RSCI had him at # 30, which meant he had some 4 star and some 5 star ratings. Not sure where the break was for each individual service, but certainly he was right on the cusp of 5 stars.

#2,403      

haasi

New York
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Golden ended up with a 247 composite score of .8894. This is right around DMW and just below Griffin.

Griffey at 0.9611 was considerably higher. I think if any of us thought we were getting Griffey 2.0 we wouldn’t be seriously enthused, but for the possibility that BU has identified someone underrated or can develop him to be something perfect for the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,404      
Griffey at 0.9611 was considerably higher. I think if any of us thought we were getting Griffey 2.0 we wouldn’t be seriously enthused, but for the possibility that BU has identified someone underrated or can develop him to be something perfect for the system.

Griffey at one time was RSCI #68, but faded in the Summer due to an injury. He ended up outside the RSCI top 100. Also didn't Hill fade due to a medical issue in the Summer before his Senior year??

#2,405      

haasi

New York
Griffey at one time was RSCI #68, but faded in the Summer due to an injury. He ended up outside the RSCI top 100.

Is the point that there’s reason to be more excited about Golden than Griffey because of Griffey’s downward trajectory?

#2,406      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
While I liked teams he played on, Rich McBride as the fourth-highest rated guy on that list is incredible in retrospect. I liked Brian Randle as a dude, but #7? Mychael Henry and Mike Shaw.. ugh.

Myke Henry may have had the best NBA season this year of any ex-Illini. (that hurt just typing it...happy for Myke but really says a lot about the program.)

#2,409      

haasi

New York
Brandon Paul ? Meyers?

Henry played the fewest games of the three but had highest scoring average. Toss up which of the three had the best year.

#2,410      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Brandon Paul ? Meyers?

Brandon had a full season in the league which is awesome for him. Meyers was mostly a DNP - Coaches Decision and pretty much fell completely out of the rotation in Portland although he did make a ton of $$ holding his chair down. Myke had more minutes per game, more assists per game and more points per game than either of them. Granted, he was playing for a team that was out of it by early October but he did a nice job after being signed by Memphis.

#2,412      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Body of work: Paul 64 games Henry 20

Really not all that interested in debating Brandon vs. Myke (to be clear...what Brandon accomplished this year was outstanding.) Point is Myke played in the NBA this year and did a nice job with the chance he got. Certainly does not belong on the "ugh" list. (Mike Shaw probably doesn't either since a back injury ended his playing career after he transferred.)

#2,413      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Really not all that interested in debating Brandon vs. Myke (to be clear...what Brandon accomplished this year was outstanding.) Point is Myke played in the NBA this year and did a nice job with the chance he got. Certainly does not belong on the "ugh" list. (Mike Shaw probably doesn't either since a back injury ended his playing career after he transferred.)

My analysis of him on the "ugh" list is a comparison of what he accomplished at Illinois and what he was rated coming in. As one of the Top 10-12 rated guys we've signed since 2000, he did nothing at Illinois. If he's one of the best guys we've signed... ugh, our program is bad.

#2,415      
The ranking on Davis is misleading. I believe he committed a week before classes started at Illinois when it was thought he was going to be going to another year of high school. At that point there is no evaluation and he just gets thrown in at the end.

That said he would have exceeded any rating assigned to him most likely.

Exactly. Davis was an unranked double-double machine!! Made a HUGE jump from his freshman to sophomore seasons too. Kid was a stud.

#2,416      

Deleted member 8896

D
Just finished watching meanstreets and then Mac Irvin fire. Chris Payton looked very timid out there. Maybe he wasn’t feeling good or out of position at center, but he looked very nervous. One play kind of tells it all. The opposing player was coming in from the wing & it would have been easy to take a charge. But, Payton just stepped out of the way and let the guy dunk it. Whitney was the complete opposite. He was very good at all phases of the game. The real player who stood out was Terrence Shannon jr who just got an offer from Loyola.

#2,417      
Just finished watching meanstreets and then Mac Irvin fire. Chris Payton looked very timid out there. Maybe he wasn’t feeling good or out of position at center, but he looked very nervous. One play kind of tells it all. The opposing player was coming in from the wing & it would have been easy to take a charge. But, Payton just stepped out of the way and let the guy dunk it. Whitney was the complete opposite. He was very good at all phases of the game. The real player who stood out was Terrence Shannon jr who just got an offer from Loyola.

They have him at center? He's a sf/pf at the next level.

#2,418      
Chris Payton IMHO opinion is going to be a player who is going to have a strong career somewhere. He reminds me of David Booth (Peoria/DePaul) and Jereme Richmond lite. Add muscle and experience, 3-4 years of college.

He isn't rated high enough on our board, have to think Cahill, EJ, possible others ahead at the wing or stretch 4. But seems to be a player like Robey(Nebraska) that got away while we pursued Cliff Alexander. Difference is we are stronger at the wing/stretch4 and looking to add more (Golden). Best move might to pursue a Wichita St., they've done well with his type of size and game.

#2,419      
They have him at center? He's a sf/pf at the next level.

I watched that game too ( as did BU, Izzo, Avery Johnson, & 20 other college coaches) & also thought he was timid. He jumped center & had to guard a player that had 3-4 inches & 30+ pounds on him. You could see he has athleticism but didn't get a chance to show much of it. He is obviously a good passer & has court awareness, but this wasnt his day.

Last edited:
#2,420      
Game on boys!

tenor.gif

I must have seen Weber 20 times the last couple of days & couldnt get this out of my mind every time I did-LMAO.

#2,422      
247 having DJ and BP as #24 and #25 seems off. RSCI would have them both in the top 10.

Also, look at where the 247 composite has them ranked in their class. They have both outside of the top 100; DJ at 110, BP at 125. They were 35 and 49 in the rsci.

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2009-final

24 7 Sports started in 2010 (with the 2011 recruiting class). They do two rankings, their own and a "composite". Here is a link to an explanation of their composite:

https://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574

They went back and did composites for 2003 through 2010. Some of those look "off." DJ was ranked 42, 38, 40, 45, 38, 46, and 30. How does that possibly become 110?

#2,425      
Sucks that we dont have any new news on the recruiting front, ��

Status
Not open for further replies.