Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
-----------------------------------------------------------
Live Evaluation Periods:
April 20-22
April 27-29
NCAA Recruiting Calendar (pdf)

2018 Illini Basketball Commits
Andres Feliz (Juco PG) committed on Apr. 8th, signed on Apr. 11th
Tevian Jones (2018 F) committed on Apr. 3rd, signed on Apr. 11th
Giorgi Bezhanishvili (2018 PF) committed on Mar. 26th, signed on Apr. 11th
Samba Kane (2018 C) committed on Mar. 9th, signed on Apr. 11th
Alan Griffin (2018 G) committed on Mar. 2nd, signed on Apr. 11th
Ayo Dosunmu (2018 PG) committed on Oct. 19th, signed on Nov. 8th

rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 04/30/2018

Last edited:

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
April has arrived. It all comes together in just a few weeks.

Illiniguy24
Give me Feliz, Jones and a JUCO big man or roll a scholly over. I’ll be a happy happy man all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me Feliz, Hinson, and either Jones, 5th year big man, or roll scholly.

Any reports from Milwaukee NY2LA this year? I didn't get to see any of the 17U games.

Give me Feliz, Hinson, and either Jones, 5th year big man, or roll scholly.

Would be very happy with Hinson as well. I feel like Jones could be a beast on this team though, gives me the warm fuzzies thinking about him on the floor with Trent, Ayo, Kipper, and Kane (especially if they are all around for the season after this one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
RiverCityChief stated this in the March thread (i couldn't quote it as that thread is locked):
"According to Finkes quote he stated the program decided not to renew his scholly. Sure didnt should like it was his choice at all. Finke flat out said Illinois will not renew his scholarship.

The staff must have confidence in our incoming class being better than him I guess."

I just wanted to clarify this statement with something I heard on the Werner show or Tay and Carp that was discussed by Piper. Finke received his Bachellors in December 2017 and began grad school in Spring 2018. Since he was only halfway through grad school - the University had to "not renew" his scholarship. However, Piper made it very clear that Finke was a priority to return and he was not pushed out. Just wanted to clarify what I heard on the radio.

Go Illini :chief:

RiverCityChief stated this in the March thread (i couldn't quote it as that thread is locked):
"According to Finkes quote he stated the program decided not to renew his scholly. Sure didnt should like it was his choice at all. Finke flat out said Illinois will not renew his scholarship.

The staff must have confidence in our incoming class being better than him I guess."

I just wanted to clarify this statement with something I heard on the Werner show or Tay and Carp that was discussed by Piper. Finke received his Bachellors in December 2017 and began grad school in Spring 2018. Since he was only halfway through grad school - the University had to "not renew" his scholarship. However, Piper made it very clear that Finke was a priority to return and he was not pushed out. Just wanted to clarify what I heard on the radio.

Someone mentioned that and I am glad that's the case. I hope there young inside guys all develop both physically and fundamentally. I am excited about our future and if we land another surprise like TF in this class then I think we may do better than others think. Go Illini and I wish all the Finkes the best.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Someone mentioned that and I am glad that's the case. I hope there young inside guys all develop both physically and fundamentally. I am excited about our future and if we land another surprise like TF in this class then I think we may do better than others think. Go Illini and I wish all the Finkes the best.

apologies - as I finished that thread i noticed it was clarified. I jumped the gun while not yet catching up. My bad!

I hope we grab a 5th year big to bridge the gap this season - a rebounder who can defend specifically - give me someone that will average 24 minutes, 6 points, 8 rebounds and a block - and I'll be THRILLED. We don't need a superstar, just someone to help ease the loss of Finke/Black. I think scoring will be fine - but we're gonna need rebounding and defense.

apologies - as I finished that thread i noticed it was clarified. I jumped the gun while not yet catching up. My bad!

I hope we grab a 5th year big to bridge the gap this season - a rebounder who can defend specifically - give me someone that will average 24 minutes, 6 points, 8 rebounds and a block - and I'll be THRILLED. We don't need a superstar, just someone to help ease the loss of Finke/Black. I think scoring will be fine - but we're gonna need rebounding and defense.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but in losing black and Finke we lost average rebounding and absolutely no defense, but really good offense in the form of black. I do have some concern replacing black's points. The rebounding and d would be nice since those were the biggest inadequacies on last year's team and helped keep us from being a good team. We need rebounding and defense not because those two are gone but in spite of them!

Hinson looks like he could play the 4 but Jones more of a wing. Which has the highest priority? GBez effective first year? Matic a possibility? Like to see Kipper at the three as improved rebounding in total if we have someone to defend the 4. However he would match or exceed (on a per min basis) Black in every category except scoring. So are we better with Jones as a three and Kipper playing the four or Hinson at the four and Kipper at the three or none of the above.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but in losing black and Finke we lost average rebounding and absolutely no defense, but really good offense in the form of black. I do have some concern replacing black's points. The rebounding and d would be nice since those were the biggest inadequacies on last year's team and helped keep us from being a good team. We need rebounding and defense not because those two are gone but in spite of them!

What I'm trying to say (I'm not the most articulate) is that I'm expecting the scoring to improve with the pieces already added. I'm not necessarily concerned about how next years team will score. I'm VERY concerned about their ability to play defense and rebound. We are in DESPERATE need of a big that can rebound and defend, IMO.

I hope that clarifies my stance. Go Illini :chief:

Very confident we will get Tevian. Also hearing Syracuse is looking at Griffin and he is not for sure committed to us anymore.

Very confident we will get Tevian. Also hearing Syracuse is looking at Griffin and he is not for sure committed to us anymore.

"Hearing" means listening to Ryan Evan live feed last night and mentioning Gerry McNamara at Syracuse is snooping around at Griffins HS. They just lost player of similar position to D League...Griffin followed McNamara, McNamara followed Griffin....rumors fly. Brubin just regurgitating Ryan Evan

Tevian Jones is probably a strong offer....Haven't seen nor heard of anything other than Griffin is ecstatic to be coming to Illinois? Rumor? Source for information on Griffin?:chief:

If I'm Griffin and the home state school is only just now trying to recruit me after I committed to a P5 team elsewhere, I'd tell that old chrone Boeheim to go fly a kite.

That old chrone definitely needs to go fly a kite

"Hearing" means listening to Ryan Evan live feed last night and mentioning Gerry McNamara at Syracuse is snooping around at Griffins HS. They just lost player of similar position to D League...Griffin followed McNamara, McNamara followed Griffin....rumors fly. Brubin just regurgitating Ryan Evan

Thanks for surfacing (even if regurgitated) and thanks for clarifying. As I basically get all my info from here, it's very useful!

Relax people Alan Griffin isn't going anywhere he's stoked to be an Illini, besides that McNamara was there to watch and offer Adrien Jr, and RJ Davis.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
If the staff pushed an official visit, might be something to Griffin looking around. Griffin already took an unofficial here and we are low on official visits to give out. Would have been nice to try and bank one if possible. Obviously if he requested one you give it anyways.

This is what I was thinking - if we're devoting an OV to Griffin's visit - maybe there is some smoke (which i just heard based on the brubin note above)

I would hate to lose Griffin - i think he's going to help a lot next year in the scoring department.

I hate that we have to use our remaining OV's to secure verbals :(

t7nich

Central IL

Austin Trice is the recruit that said he was announcing on the 11th because it is grandfather's birthday.

However, it was said that Jones would announce on the 11th as well. We'll see if that sticks, he was wanting to take another visit or two before deciding.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
This kvetching over OV totals/usage is lame even by our own standards of being lame online message boarders talking about recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.