Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,027      

Deleted member 4723

D
If he sticks with the number in the picture, who was the last #14 for the Illini? I'm usually pretty good at remembering numbers, but I can't recall this one.

Ryan Schmidt 2015, but Fred Miller was probably the best #14.

#1,029      
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But hard to see us avoiding a Creaning or two if we go into 2019 with one scholly.

I think "avant garde" would be a kind way to describe the roster management that has been practiced thusfar by Josh Whitman's two major hires.

#wewillcrean ?

#1,030      
Who can help me out. Feliz commits to South Florida, under the Antigua brothers, out of high school. Both brothers are fired under a cloud of academic fraud. Feliz ends up at Northwest Florida State which seems to be a junior college. Did the new South Florida coach not want him? Did he no longer want South Florida if there were no Antiguas? Were there no other schools that wanted him and he ended up at a junior college? Did he not qualify for South Florida due to academics and went the j.c. route? Was he part of the academic fraud? How did he end up at Northwest Florida State?

NCAA never cleared him due to the academic fraud, thus forcing him to go the 2 year JUCO route.

#1,036      
Really? Sounds to me like they're recruiting him.

With the recent news of the visit to Oregon and the reported strong interest from Purdue and the apparent strong interest Illinois now has in Bryce Golden, in my opinion, they are having the in home to gauge where they are at with Okoro the same they did with Ramey. We seen what came after that, Ramey came out with a top 10 which was a strong indicator that Ramey wasn't that sold on Illinois and I say that because not only did the OV stay planned with El General BU took his commitment. I feel BU is taking the same approach with Okoro. BU wan't to fill his team with the best possible palyers but he is not going to wait. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
#1,037      

ratdawg

ratdawg
Harrisburg Ilinois
so.... after looking at the scholarship grid.... does BU fill it up this year? Or, leave a spot open for next year? not much space available as of now

#1,039      
so.... after looking at the scholarship grid.... does BU fill it up this year? Or, leave a spot open for next year? not much space available as of now

I am thinking he is filling it this year. No need to hold a spot open. The guys he is bringing in are going to compete and it they have what BU demands will be here next year if not roster spots open, kind of like self-creaning.

#1,040      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Colbert - Might as well have been outside of the top 500, at ODU now!

Dude not even. He transferred from Old Dominion to Hampton after his sit out year before playing a game. Apparently his brother died and he had trouble committing to basketball, so I feel for him. He applied for a hardship waiver and transferred I assume closer to home to Hampton College, but I think it was denied. He played out his 1 year of eligibility last this season average 3pts/game and 13mins/game. Saw his last game myself in person when ND beat Hampton in the NIT opening round.

#1,041      
With the recent news of the visit to Oregon and the reported strong interest from Purdue and the apparent strong interest Illinois now has in Bryce Golden, in my opinion, they are having the in home to gauge where they are at with Okoro the same they did with Ramey. We seen what came after that, Ramey came out with a top 10 which was a strong indicator that Ramey wasn't that sold on Illinois and I say that because not only did the OV stay planned with El General BU took his commitment. I feel BU is taking the same approach with Okoro. BU wan't to fill his team with the best possible palyers but he is not going to wait. Just my opinion.

It’s really not an opinion as much as it is speculation.

#1,042      

Deleted member 4960

D
Welcome Mr Feliz! Did you folks notice he also shoots 77% from the line! Will be nice to put the ball in the hands of someone sure with the ball who can make some free throws at the end of the game!

#1,043      
I think we actually already have a sampling of BU's talent assessment abilities -- based upon his first four recruits:

Mark Smith
Mark Alstork
Greg E.
M. Vesel

I'm not a huge fan of any of the four. The sample size now grows, and we'll be in a better position to judge a year from now.

I'm still a proponent of the Lou Henson approach --- lock down the best in-state talent year-after-year.

I do believe we're missing the NCAA Tourney again next year.

How? How do you lock down the best players in state year after year? It's nice to spit that out and say, "I wish I'd of thought about that," but when the blue bloods come a'calling......then what?

#1,044      
I may be the only one who prefers Kane over Castleton and Conduit. He just looks like a better athlete to me. Believe if you get the athlete with the size and desire and have the right coaches you have a winner. We can look at video but can't judge the attitude and desire. Our success will depend on our coaches ability to do this. Need to sign the five stars early but don't see our late signing of the others a sign of failure.

#1,045      
I may be the only one who prefers Kane over Castleton and Conduit. He just looks like a better athlete to me. Believe if you get the athlete with the size and desire and have the right coaches you have a winner. We can look at video but can't judge the attitude and desire. Our success will depend on our coaches ability to do this. Need to sign the five stars early but don't see our late signing of the others a sign of failure.

I’m with you. I want a true 7’0 athletic big on the team. We haven’t had that in such a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,046      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Not the only one, sorry!

#1,047      

100% agree. Kane is loooonnnggg. The shot blocking talent alone puts him ahead of those guys, based on our needs. Great late find.

#1,048      
Our staff has recruited players that will put a team out on the floor that has a lot of versatility. Long athletic guards, some keen on driving, some keen scoring, some keen on passing. A big that can rim protect and run the floor, a big that can space the floor and Kipper who can go both ways.

I think we will be 5 or 6 wins better because of it next season, if we stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,049      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
So we we now have a player from:

Illinois, New York , Florida, New Jersey, California and the Dominican Republic....I like the world travelers that we have become. Now lets make that name for ourselves once again and then truly get the picks that we always want.

+ Slovenia, Nigeria, Senegal, and the Republic of Georgia (via Austria)

#1,050      
I think we actually already have a sampling of BU's talent assessment abilities -- based upon his first four recruits:

Mark Smith
Mark Alstork
Greg E.
M. Vesel

I'm not a huge fan of any of the four. The sample size now grows, and we'll be in a better position to judge a year from now.

I'm still a proponent of the Lou Henson approach --- lock down the best in-state talent year-after-year.

I do believe we're missing the NCAA Tourney again next year.

He went out and got those guys in a pinch with basically no time here as coach to establish relationships or anything. The jury is out on 2/4 of them still. GE looks promising in small samples. We basically know very little about Matic. Everyone was on edge over getting Smith and would have blown a gasket if we didn't get him. That isn't a talent evaluation problem. And I have no clue what happened with Alstork but that wasn't a talent evaluation miss either. And Alstork was great defensively. That offense just didn't transfer with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.