Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,052      
I may be the only one who prefers Kane over Castleton and Conduit. He just looks like a better athlete to me. Believe if you get the athlete with the size and desire and have the right coaches you have a winner. We can look at video but can't judge the attitude and desire. Our success will depend on our coaches ability to do this. Need to sign the five stars early but don't see our late signing of the others a sign of failure.

We've needed a rim protector ever since Egwu graduated. I don't care how many stars they have next to their name, if they can't play good defense, then they don't fill our need. Kane might not be that guy, but I feel a hell of a lot better about his defensive potential than those other two guys.

#1,053      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I may be the only one who prefers Kane over Castleton and Conduit. He just looks like a better athlete to me. Believe if you get the athlete with the size and desire and have the right coaches you have a winner. We can look at video but can't judge the attitude and desire. Our success will depend on our coaches ability to do this. Need to sign the five stars early but don't see our late signing of the others a sign of failure.

We might have had more fun with the auto-correct on Big George's name, but yeah, agree Kane is a great find and huge upside.

#1,054      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Does anyone know Giorgi's backstory?

All I've found is that he's a native of Georgia (no not that Georgia) and played in Austria before moving to New Jersey. Guessing he was discovered by a basketball club in Austria when he was younger and moved there, then decided to play in the states.

#1,056      
Random tid bit - from looking at Alan Griffin IG page it looks like he has a relationship with Jimmy Butler (yes, that Jimmy Butler)...not many better guys in the league to model yourself after and have mentor you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,057      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Random tid bit - from looking at Alan Griffin IG page it looks like he has a relationship with Jimmy Butler (yes, that Jimmy Butler)...not many better guys in the league to model yourself after and have mentor you.

His dad (Adrian Griffin) was an assistant under Thibs with the Bulls from 2010–2015 and would have coached Butler—thus the connection. Alan has said he wants to model his mental game after Russell Westbrook, who his dad currently coaches in OKC.

#1,058      
His dad (Adrian Griffin) was an assistant under Thibs with the Bulls from 2010–2015 and would have coached Butler—thus the connection. Alan has said he wants to model his mental game after Russell Westbrook, who his dad currently coaches in OKC.

That’s right, I forgot he was a coaches son. Love it.

#1,059      
No, I certainly like Kane more than Conduit. Castleton is a harder choice due to his shooting, which is why I like this Golden kid. He has a multi faceted game, with good size, he can drive the ball and make 3s.

But Kane might become a serious rim protector, so I love his upside. I'll commit, I like him better than Castleton too.;)
Love Castleton as a stretch 4, not as our center though. He would have been better than Bez.

#1,060      
Love Castleton as a stretch 4, not as our center though. He would have been better than Bez.

I think Georgi may surprise people. Only being here a few months is imo likely why he wasn't rated well. I really could care less about that in his case at least.

#1,061      
based solely on recency bias with Euro guys and how uninspiring everything around Georgi is, curious what makes people optimistic Georgi will have a successful career/first year here. I'm only slightly more knowledgeable about his situation than a rock, but I have little hope he will contribute early on.

#1,062      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
based solely on recency bias with Euro guys and how uninspiring everything around Georgi is, curious what makes people optimistic Georgi will have a successful career/first year here. I'm only slightly more knowledgeable about his situation than a rock, but I have little hope he will contribute early on.

Forever wishing for another Damir Krupalija! :thumb::illinois:

#1,063      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

I don't know, Conduit is pretty electric with the ball in his hands. Plus he's really good at finding the outlet pass. I'd still take him.

#1,064      
I think Georgi may surprise people. Only being here a few months is imo likely why he wasn't rated well. I really could care less about that in his case at least.

He played AAU last summer and played at a top high school so it wasn't an exposure thing. He's skilled but his ceiling is limited and he isn't great in any specific area. He could good down the road though. Castleton is likely the better college player.

#1,065      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
He played AAU last summer and played at a top high school so it wasn't an exposure thing. He's skilled but his ceiling is limited and he isn't great in any specific area. He could good down the road though. Castleton is likely the better college player.

If Giorgi could eventually turn into 3/4 of what upperclassmen Mav was offensively but better defensively then that would turn out to be a well-used scholly.

#1,066      

I just like what I saw in this video from July 2017. He should have improved since then. I doubt our other bigs could do this drill so well.

https://youtu.be/gXbLEjoVKZ4

#1,067      
I don't know, Conduit is pretty electric with the ball in his hands. Plus he's really good at finding the outlet pass. I'd still take him.

Nope. Unless he's committed to the beloved,

a) he peaked too early
b) his growth plates are closed
c) he's not an everyday guy or doesn't exhibit our "winning" culture
d) his skills are more attuned to an 8-sec offense (aka, not a good fit for BU's system)

#1,068      

Very Clever.... not sure everyone will get electrician humor though?!

That said his tendency to switch on defense is both a positive & a negative...

Last edited:
#1,070      

a) he peaked too early
d) his skills are more attuned to an 8-sec offense (aka, not a good fit for BU's system)

You forgot, he isn't a banger!!

#1,072      
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But hard to see us avoiding a Creaning or two if we go into 2019 with one scholly.

I think "avant garde" would be a kind way to describe the roster management that has been practiced thusfar by Josh Whitman's two major hires.

I'm not convinced we have Creamed anyone to date...Black makes no sense, Finke - Piper said in one of the podcast that the staff wanted him back, but weren't going to beg him to stay, but with as many open scholarships as we have keeping him seems better than bringing in another project big, in the same podcast Lucas said the staff was surprised he wanted to leave & he was starting at the end of the season, so maybe it is a cover story, but seems more likely he didn't like his role going forward?.. Mark Smith is just a freshman and seems early to write him off, seems more like the kid's preference than getting creamed.

I would bet we lose a big or 2, but with this many young bigs on the roster not sure it won't sort itself out as well.

#1,073      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Does anyone know Giorgi's backstory?

When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war. Giorgi had a hard time at first, not speaking the language, and especially because he was taller than his classmates. Children can be cruel to outsiders and to kids who stick out. Sadly, Giorgi was both. But he was a fun-loving kid with a quick smile, and a penchant for silly faces, and Monty Python skits. Once given a chance, he became something of an attraction on the playground, a veritable one-man show of silly walks, clown-like antics and faces and voices to match.

The teachers noticed, too, but especially, Tobias Boll, the young Mathematics teacher who also coached the boys basketball team. He saw in young Giorgi an energetic and physically dextrous child, who also happened to be 6' tall in 7th grade.

Tobias approached the boy, but Giorgi wasn't sure; when it came to sports, he preferred football and darts. But the football coaches always put him in the goal, and the darts coaches were all drunkards, as darts coaches are. Basketball had never been a consideration in his small town, though of course he had heard of greats like Otar Korkia and Levan Moseshvili, who had won medals with the Soviet teams. Even as he started to grow, he hadn't considered basketball as a option.

Tobias got the boy to practice, and showed him some funadmental drills, and the connection was immediate. Giorgi thrived in the freedom that basketball offered, and his flexibility, long arms and quick feet all worked to his advantage. And after every practice, Tobias had a box of fresh kada, purchased from a speciality bakery. Oh, Girogi loved those days, and finally felt settled in: silly games on the playground, basketball practice after school, and fresh kada while sitting under the giant beech tree, staring at the distant alps.

Or, at least I assume it went something like that...

#1,074      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80

a) he peaked too early

Hahaha + infinity. Illinois' low ranked guys are all diamonds in the rough/exceptions to the rule, while higher ranked players that choose to go elsewhere are misfit, culture cancers. :thumb:

#1,075      
You forgot, he isn't a banger!!

Yep, that should be a).

Unless he's committed to the beloved,

a) he's not a banger (or prototypical stretch 4)
e) he's too much of a project and we're no longer interested in projects (except for the projects that are currently committed)

Status
Not open for further replies.