Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      
I wouldn’t be surprised. But Trent had a very very good year and is a great shooter and extremely quick. Not sure Ayo’s skill set will transfer as immediately, but he’s very talented so we’ll see. If I had to guess Ayo is all frosh team and has a good season for a freshman with some games where he dominates and others where he’s not so effective and his stats come in a little below Trent’s last year. He will be an excellent piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that’s a fair assessment. I could see Ayo averaging about 10.5 pts, 4.2 rebs and 3.5 assists and a steal a game

#1,327      
I think that’s a fair assessment. I could see Ayo averaging about 10.5 pts, 4.2 rebs and 3.5 assists and a steal a game

Ayo has a great feel for the game and can make contributions beyond points. I think he will struggle scoring his first year unless he improves his outside shooting. He may just be a taller version of Lucas his freshman year.

#1,328      

haasi

New York
Just as a reference point for Trent and Ayo - Dee averaged 12 his freshman year, Deron averaged 6. Sometimes bigger guards who rely on their body and control to score can take longer to adapt to college.

#1,329      

chief78

Florida
Ayo has a great feel for the game and can make contributions beyond points. I think he will struggle scoring his first year unless he improves his outside shooting. He may just be a taller version of Lucas his freshman year.

So Ayo, who was one of the top scorers last summer against the best AAU competition is possibly just a taller Lucas? We will see.....

#1,331      
Should we be getting some signed letters today?
Will all of our commits sign.

#1,332      

Kostas

Naperville, IL
So...today's NLOI signing day. Any update on who's sent in letters yet? I think many of us will be far more relaxed when this class puts some ink on paper.

#1,333      
Just as a reference point for Trent and Ayo - Dee averaged 12 his freshman year, Deron averaged 6. Sometimes bigger guards who rely on their body and control to score can take longer to adapt to college.

Ayo is quicker than Deron as a freshman, and we will also be much more dependent on Ayo to produce than we were Deron as a freshman. At least that’s what I would assume. I find it reasonable to think Ayo could get 2 layups, 1 mid range jumper and 4 free throws a game. Thoughts?

#1,334      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
So...today's NLOI signing day. Any update on who's sent in letters yet? I think many of us will be far more relaxed when this class puts some ink on paper.

BU press conference at 2:30pm

#1,335      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Ayo is quicker than Deron as a freshman, and we will also be much more dependent on Ayo to produce than we were Deron as a freshman. At least that’s what I would assume. I find it reasonable to think Ayo could get 2 layups, 1 mid range jumper and 4 free throws a game. Thoughts?

Not unreasonable. I didn't see Deron pre-Illini, but I would guess that he used strength and size to overpower players and had to adjust to play in College against players with similar size.

Ayo uses quickness, length, and control to get shots off at the rim. Different game which probably translates quicker. Key is shooting open 3's well enough to force defenders to fight through screens so he has angles to get to get to the rim.

#1,336      
That would be a very, very good freshman campaign for Ayo. I am thinking more like 7 pts 3 assists 3 rebounds a game. His inconsistent outside shot will be a problem. Obviously I am hoping for the best and excited about his arrival.

Considering Frazier and Feliz are good outside shooters, then add Jones and Griffin and Ayo is a perfect fit. Won't be forced into shooting roles.

#1,337      
Deron was naturally wired as a facilitator, and was a freshman on a team loaded with scorers. He averaged almost 5 assists a game in just 27 minutes. Ayo is a scorer. What he's college-ready to do is break guys down off the dribble and get buckets. But because he's not a strong jump shooter, teams are going to sag off of him. The key to getting him going is gonna be ball movement and having other strong shooters out there so he's faced up against rotating defenders closing out on him. He'll gobble those situations up.

#1,338      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Might sound crazy, but Tejon is just as good if not slightly better than Zavier Simpson IMO. Groce was recruiting both simultaneously, for those that didn't know. Simpson committed to Michigan and a week later Lucas committed to Illinois. IIRC, the board was pretty split on who they liked more. But given our lack of a PG at the time, we were excited to get either. If you're a PG without a good outside shot then you need talent around you. Lucas would be fun to watch on that Michigan team.

Yeah, he is. But Simpson pretty much sucks.

#1,340      
Deron was naturally wired as a facilitator, and was a freshman on a team loaded with scorers. He averaged almost 5 assists a game in just 27 minutes. Ayo is a scorer. What he's college-ready to do is break guys down off the dribble and get buckets. But because he's not a strong jump shooter, teams are going to sag off of him. The key to getting him going is gonna be ball movement and having other strong shooters out there so he's faced up against rotating defenders closing out on him. He'll gobble those situations up.

I’m dreaming of the scenarios where one of Ayo, Trent or Feliz are leading a fast break with Griffin, Tevian, DMW, Kipper and or AJ running the wings with Kane trailing behind.

#1,341      
redriver said:
Lol. Those magical stars. 'Duval and Trent will almost certainly end up spending a lot of time in the G League, where former McDonald’s All Americans are a dime a dozen.' https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/9/1...e-one-and-done

Great article... makes the case for players "fitting" with the system & with one another as being more important than stars

True.

However, how is it that kids do not learn the basics or are not taught it. A top-notch guard and cannot shoot from the outside?

#1,342      

Deleted member 654622

D
Ayo will be in C-U this summer I suspect.

Graduated seniors do not play AAU, to bring the topic back to recruiting :D

Thank you! I was not for sure how that worked...to stay on recruiting, how does that work for Francis if he reclasses to 19? I don't see it a good thing that he is playing with Beal Elite

Also does everyone know Okoro has a little brother that already can go elbow deep on a dunk?

#1,344      
That would be a very, very good freshman campaign for Ayo. I am thinking more like 7 pts 3 assists 3 rebounds a game. His inconsistent outside shot will be a problem. Obviously I am hoping for the best and excited about his arrival.

I posted in more detail back on page 9 of this thread comparing Ayo's potential Freshman year to other recruits in his ranking range over the past few years. What I came away with was we should probably look for around 25 minutes, 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists so I don't think you are too far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.