Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,626      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Please for the love of God don't ask him to 'explain' anything. Needs an editor more than the Illini need an experienced 5.

I'm pretty sure I just woke someone in a cubicle from their morning nap while laughing :thumb:

Go Illini :chief:

#1,627      

AEX

Danger Zone
To put a fine point on it: has there ever been any genuine reason for optimism on Okoro besides where he lives?

Bump. Thought this was a significant question and did not see it get answered. I agree that there seems to be (or was) a lot of optimism around Okoro, but I cannot now recall why that was the case.

#1,628      
Let's regroup on the latest regarding recruiting since a lot has happened in the last few days:

Today we have an in-home with Okoro. I'm sure we'll get a better picture after this visit and will impact the strategy of the prospects listed below.

Maurice Calloo. Is he still visiting this weekend? If so, is it an official or unofficial?

Blake Hinson. Is he still visiting the following weekend?

Bryce Golden is visiting Syracuse this weekend. Has anyone heard anything related to a possible visit here? Maybe it depends on if he gets our of Syracuse alive.

Did I miss anyone or anything else related to rounding out this recruiting class?

#1,629      
Bump. Thought this was a significant question and did not see it get answered. I agree that there seems to be (or was) a lot of optimism around Okoro, but I cannot now recall why that was the case.

Relationship with Ayo
Staff has spent a lot of time on him
He has expressed interest in us in the past
He is right down the Interstate

#1,630      

Illinidreamin

Paris, IL.
Malcom's shot was a bit low and he was a bit slow too, but it worked most of the time due to craftiness. I think Ayo (and Tevian) will take some time to adjust to the speed of defenses, but both have a jumper that isn't broken and just needs strength and skill to raise the release point.

On a slightly different note, I think Ayo is going to be awesome as a CG/SG here, handling the ball a lot but not the main implementer on offense.

I also won't care much about losing Okoro if we can snag Liddell. Hopefully can get one of those two.

LOL all the talk about Malcolm. Dude was what he was and what he was and is a Professional making money and still making headlines. He was one of our all time best and if any of our recruits come close to him and his production we should be happy. Illinois did not go to the tourney during his tenure at Illinois. That fact was not because of Malcolm. It was because of the team. Malcolm was first string on any big ten team. We should be so lucky again. ILL:shield::chief:

#1,631      
It took 4 years for Morgan to become an average B1G center. Hopefully, Ebo ends up beating that result.

Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the scene after.

I distinctly remember that after the orange and blue SCRIMMAGE Mav's freshman year the multiple posts on Loyalty about how Mav was never going to see the floor/should look to transfer out etc. and this was after the preseason scrimmage. Good to see that Loyalty hasn't changed haha :thumb:

Last edited:
#1,632      
Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the seen after.

I distinctly remember that after the orange and blue SCRIMMAGE Mav's freshman year the multiple posts on Loyalty about how Mav was never going to see the floor/should look to transfer out etc. and this was after the preseason scrimmage. Good to see that Loyalty hasn't changed haha :thumb:

Davis was unnecessarily criticized about his rebounding skills. "Lucky rebounds". Kid was a good player. Would have loved to have him this past year.

#1,634      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Let's regroup on the latest regarding recruiting since a lot has happened in the last few days:

Today we have an in-home with Okoro. I'm sure we'll get a better picture after this visit and will impact the strategy of the prospects listed below.

Maurice Calloo. Is he still visiting this weekend? If so, is it an official or unofficial?

Blake Hinson. Is he still visiting the following weekend?

Bryce Golden is visiting Syracuse this weekend. Has anyone heard anything related to a possible visit here? Maybe it depends on if he gets our of Syracuse alive.

Did I miss anyone or anything else related to rounding out this recruiting class?
I realize he is a 2019 recruit, but it has been reported that the staff has an In-Home with Khalil Whitney next Thursday.

#1,635      

jmilt7

Waukegan
When he was a kid, he was fond of fishing and pastry. His grandfather was a watchmaker's apprentice who saved his money to move his family from Georgia to Austria, to avoid the war. Giorgi had a hard time at first, not speaking the language, and especially because he was taller than his classmates. Children can be cruel to outsiders and to kids who stick out. Sadly, Giorgi was both. But he was a fun-loving kid with a quick smile, and a penchant for silly faces, and Monty Python skits. Once given a chance, he became something of an attraction on the playground, a veritable one-man show of silly walks, clown-like antics and faces and voices to match.

The teachers noticed, too, but especially, Tobias Boll, the young Mathematics teacher who also coached the boys basketball team. He saw in young Giorgi an energetic and physically dextrous child, who also happened to be 6' tall in 7th grade.

Tobias approached the boy, but Giorgi wasn't sure; when it came to sports, he preferred football and darts. But the football coaches always put him in the goal, and the darts coaches were all drunkards, as darts coaches are. Basketball had never been a consideration in his small town, though of course he had heard of greats like Otar Korkia and Levan Moseshvili, who had won medals with the Soviet teams. Even as he started to grow, he hadn't considered basketball as a option.

Tobias got the boy to practice, and showed him some funadmental drills, and the connection was immediate. Giorgi thrived in the freedom that basketball offered, and his flexibility, long arms and quick feet all worked to his advantage. And after every practice, Tobias had a box of fresh kada, purchased from a speciality bakery. Oh, Girogi loved those days, and finally felt settled in: silly games on the playground, basketball practice after school, and fresh kada while sitting under the giant beech tree, staring at the distant alps.

Or, at least I assume it went something like that...

And he lived happily ever after after a successful Illini basketball career and two NCAA championships.

Excellent post. (I'm still behind on reading these posts hence why I am late responding)

#1,636      
Davis was unnecessarily criticized about his rebounding skills. "Lucky rebounds". Kid was a good player. Would have loved to have him this past year.

Davis turned out to be the 5th overall pick in the 2012 D-league draft and has had a cup of tea with the Reno Bighorns and Westchester Knicks. On another note, Egwu is now in the G-league. Proud of him. Back to recruiting...

#1,637      
Just saw Oshae brisset is returning to Syracuse, I wonder if this will help us with Bryce golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,638      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Malcom's shot was a bit low and he was a bit slow too, but it worked most of the time due to craftiness. I think Ayo (and Tevian) will take some time to adjust to the speed of defenses, but both have a jumper that isn't broken and just needs strength and skill to raise the release point.

But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.

#1,639      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

Indeed. He was a fantastic rebounder. If I recall he led the conference (or was at least second) as a Junior at over 9 boards per game. I think it's because was not a "banger" that he was often criticized.

#1,640      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Exactly, Mike Davis also comes to mind as someone who showed pretty much nothing his first year as an unheralded recruit and then burst onto the scene after.

I'm glad Mav didn't transfer - but I certainly remember many thought that he was the big that would transfer out - and Colbert was going to stay.

Go Illini :chief:

#1,642      
Relationship with Ayo
Staff has spent a lot of time on him
He has expressed interest in us in the past
He is right down the Interstate

That last part is less significant for national recruits. These kids are also friends with players all over the country Time spent from the staff is overrated by our fanbase.

Players like Okoro care about playing time, winning, and the resources to get him to the next level. Everything else is a tier below in significance. We have one check mark but everything else is not certain despite our sales pitch.

#1,643      

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida

Yeah, people used to criticize him for getting easy rebounds on opponent's FT misses. Classic...

#1,645      

illini64

Southeast Missouri
But Malcolm also had a crazy effective step-back, fade-away jumper that was exclaimed over by every new announcer that did one of our games. It's not a skill that many guys have or develop. So we can remove him from the set of "low, slow" release guys that we use for comparison.

Any skill/athletic area that Malcolm lacked, was overcome by one of the greatest hearts ever in an Illini uniform.

#1,646      
I know this is meant as a hypothetical, but in my reality Josh Whitman has made big time hires and knows Illinois is building programs and cultures from the ground up. These hires are not a mistake constantly teetering on the brink. They and Josh are in for the long haul.

Yep... have to agree with you on this~!

#1,648      
There was a quote from Mack that he could talk about Ramey and Simmons because they are not recruting them. Which begs the question, what if Ramey really WAS interested in Louisville? Would they have to bow out? Would the NCAA do anything?

lol, thanks for bringing a little levity into my day.

#1,649      
There was a quote from Mack that he could talk about Ramey and Simmons because they are not recruting them. Which begs the question, what if Ramey really WAS interested in Louisville? Would they have to bow out? Would the NCAA do anything?

Nah, that's a self-reported secondary violation don't do it again sort of thing. Especially given the context. It's not exactly a competitive advantage to go public saying you're not interested in a recruit by name.

Status
Not open for further replies.