Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,826      
He is good, but Okoro will need to get into the system, I doubt he would be ready day 1. Maybe middle or later, but he would be a 4, maybe a 5 for spots. Still think Ebo will surprise us all, he is a soccer player too. ;):illinois:
he may not make it out of clearing house until November knowing our luck...I just hope if we get him, he gets eligibility by september.

#1,827      
You have more faith in Ebo than I do offensively. Other than a dunk I rather see him just pass, rebound and defend. I think others will be able to surpass him for playing time but we shall see. I hope who ever starts no matter the position I am glad when the attempt an open shot and can anticipate it going in, plus demand to be guarded.

#1,828      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Questions: Is Okoro a starter this year?
Does he start at C instead of Ebo?
Do he and Ebo play together and Kipper moves to 3?

He is getting rave reviews but is he better than Ebo, Kane and GBez right now, particularly if the others come in June and he comes in Sept?

The way BU handled MS last year, I believe he starts until he proves he shouldn't.

Ebo and Okoro will not play together. Neither have the skill set to play the 4 (really a big wing offensively in BU's spread) in this offense.

#1,829      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
One thing is 100% sure....get Okoro in the gym with Spicy G, Giorgi, and Kane and they are all gonna get much better!:illinois:

#1,830      
The way BU handled MS last year, I believe he starts until he proves he shouldn't.

Ebo and Okoro will not play together. Neither have the skill set to play the 4 (really a big wing offensively in BU's spread) in this offense.
I think it depends what we want the 4 to do. I think Okoro could play a 4 in a power forward. He can rebound, get put backs. Shot some mid range, and run the floor. Michigan State kind of way. Karl Malone is my favorite "4" ever. I do realize the game has changed but all 4's dont need to knock down threes

Last edited:
#1,832      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Th
I think it depends what we want the 4 to do. I think Okoro could play a 4 in a power forward. He can rebound, put back, run the floor. Michigan State kind of way. Karl malone is my favorite "4" ever. I do realize the game has changed but all 4's dont need to knock down threes

The position you are describing is basically the 5 in BU's offense. You can't have two guys on the floor that can't handle a bit and shoot from the outside in his version of the spread.

#1,833      

Ebo will never play the 4 but I'm pretty sure Okoro is looking for a place that will let him develop at the 4, which we might do at times even if it means adjusting the offense. I'm not sold that we'll get him though.

#1,834      
That position does not exist in BU's offense.
I think good coaches can adapt at times to thier players. I think he could do it and also it's not like Black shot the three before mid season this year. Okoro could learn this skill set too. Others have done so with less athletic ability.
If he wants to go to the NBA he shouldn't come here if he wont be allowed to play the 4. I highly doubt BU didnt discuss him at the 4, expanding his game and possibly the NBA during his visit. We disagree which is fine.

Last edited:
#1,835      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Ebo will never play the 4 but I'm pretty sure Okoro is looking for a place that will let him develop at the 4, which we might do at times even if it means adjusting the offense. I'm not sold that we'll get him though.

I'm not saying he will never be able to. He clearly needs to learn those skills to continue his basketball past college. I'm saying I haven't seen him demonstrate that he currently possesses those skills in the film I have seen of him.

Black did not demonstrate the ability to do those things prior to this year either. The fact that this staff taught those skills is what they are certainly selling to Okoro. I hope he commits to us and he is able to acquire those skills because that would make him a dominant player.

#1,836      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
I think good coaches can adapt at times to thier players. I think he could do it and also it's not like Black shot the three before mid season this year. Okoro could learn this skill set too. Others have done so with less athletic ability.
If he wants to go to the NBA he shouldn't come here if he wont be allowed to play the 4. I highly doubt BU didnt discuss him at the 4 and possibly the NBA during his visit. We disagree which is fine.

I was answering the question pertaining to the 2018-19 season and his current skill set.

#1,837      
I was answering the question pertaining to the 2018-19 season and his current skill set.
:thumb: I hope he can develop fast and eventually play it some next season a little bit given we land him. Especially vs teams like MSU. We need more rebounding from our 4 and 5. I have faith in Kipper at the 4 but that makes us pretty small.
I wonder how our 4's minutes will be distributed with this new class . Both to start and at the end of the year.

#1,838      
Can okoro make an elbow j or score off 1-2 dribble from the elbow? If he can do one he starts. If he can do two he never comes off the floor.

#1,840      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Can okoro make an elbow j or score off 1-2 dribble from the elbow? If he can do one he starts. If he can do two he never comes off the floor.

Giorgi can hit the elbow j and score off 1-2 dribbles with either hand and is a plus passer. Not the athlete Okoro is (obviously), but CBU fell in love with him for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,841      
Giorgi can hit the elbow j and score off 1-2 dribbles with either hand and is a plus passer. Not the athlete Okoro is (obviously), but CBU fell in love with him for that reason.

And that is the separating factor if okoro can do those things

#1,842      
Questions: Is Okoro a starter this year?
Does he start at C instead of Ebo?
Do he and Ebo play together and Kipper moves to 3?

He is getting rave reviews but is he better than Ebo, Kane and GBez right now, particularly if the others come in June and he comes in Sept?

There is no way Okoro isn’t starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

PG: Frazier-Feliz
SG: Dosunmu-Williams
SF: Jordan-Jones-Griffin
PF: Nichols-Kane-Vesel
C: Okoro-Ebo-Bez

If Okoro commits it will be interesting to see how Underwood handles the frontcourt.

#1,843      

jmilt7

Waukegan
He is good, but Okoro will need to get into the system, I doubt he would be ready day 1. Maybe middle or later, but he would be a 4, maybe a 5 for spots. Still think Ebo will surprise us all, he is a soccer player too. ;):illinois:

Does he know Larry Bird?

#1,844      

sacraig

The desert
Why exactly does this board keep running with the number #1 player in NY thing for Griffin? Wasn't that by some guy that is not nearly as well regarded as Rivals/ESPN/247? 247 just put him as the #9 player in the state and a 3star. I'll use that ranking as the most accurate and most up to date.

Rivals was the site that listed him as top in the state.

#1,845      

Agreed, I have higher hopes for Georgi than others do. I think the competition will only make our beloved better. Okoro has more NBA potential but potential doesnt always beat out skill right away, you must apply it. How badly could we have used a big like Loyola had this season? It's not just about being an athlete. You have to apply your potential and make it happen on the court. I think it's clear Georgi has worked hard on his skill set. It's also clear Okoro can put rebound all of our guys now and has a higher ceiling too.

#1,846      
A regional site rivals is partnered did that. Rivals themselves do not have Griffen even being close to the number 1 player in New York.

Correct. The ranking was about the top high school player, not the top prospect.

#1,847      

sacraig

The desert
A regional site rivals is partnered did that. Rivals themselves do not have Griffen even being close to the number 1 player in New York.

Correct. The ranking was about the top high school player, not the top prospect.

Look, I am not about to argue about who is or isn't the best prospect as I am not an expert in this and haven't seen them play, and whatnot. However, the site that has Griffin as top senior and above Brown is https://nychoops.rivals.com/, which certainly seems like it is Rivals to me, at least on some level. Check the bottom left.

Again, I am not a talent evaluator, have not seen either play, and generally have no clue who is better, but it isn't like it was just some random Tumblr page who had him ranked number 1 in the state.

#1,849      

sacraig

The desert
If it is his first official visit since decommitting from Pitt, why would it not be typical for the pundits to hedge their respective bets on him committing to Syracuse? I am sure that some of them talked to him at some point, whether it was during his visit, on his way home, or after he got home, but I find it highly unlikely that he is going to tell them that he made his decision at some point this weekend.

But you never know. Maybe he called his AD to let him know that he is going to be committing, to get the gym ready for a presser, and Golden, himself, let it leak to an insider. I really do not know, but given the fluidity of these things, it is like watching a wave go back and forth. Should he schedule another official, things will die down a bit and it is likely that some of the pundits may change their CB picks; it is doubtful, though, that they would change it until noon of the day that he signs so that they look good if they hedged correctly or get the change in so that their respective accuracy ratings are not negatively affected.

We've been over this many times, particularly when it pertains to crystal balls, and the bottom line is this: everyone here is an expert and anyone who disagrees clearly is naive.

#1,850      
Quick Points

Think Trent is good with and without the ball, similiar to Dee. Ayo has also shown to be a combo guard who excels in transition. Once again good with and without ball.

Those that can defend, rebound, and handle the ball will be our 1-2-3 starters.

I see Ebo getting his share of minutes. See the best rebounder, defender, rim runner get the minutes at 5. We will need a big that can pass, pick, and shoot. Only see Kipper who can fill that role, and he is really a 3. Possibly in the future Georgi and Matic can be that type of big.

Status
Not open for further replies.