Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,853      
Assuming that he does not transfer, how long are you giving Matic before he becomes "that type of big"? I do not see it happening, but you seem to be much more optimistic than I am.

This chatter about Matic transfer is more about his past performance last year, which we all know was about 0. My thoughts are he might get the chance, but when he was recruited, staff brought his mom with, and her feelings was he was to get a great education, not sure she was worried about basketball. For him to leave, I think he would have to want to. His minutes couldn't get much less, so he would be hard to cut what isn't there.

His aggressiveness seems to be the one thing he needed to overcome. Will he, hard to say, but I don't think he can be creaned. Him being on roster is something that seems to be a given. Hope the staff will get the most out of him. Seems to me till he changes his mind, we have 1 schollie to give out. Time will show who will be the choice or option we have!;):illinois:

#1,856      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The Ramey ship sailed when we signed Feliz.

Until we have 13 in this recruiting class, anything is possible. Please do not disagree, that would be clearly naive.

#1,857      
Griffin is closer to a 2 star recruit than a 4 star recruit. Okoro is not a 5 star recruit, especially if he reclassifies.
NY has a history of producing top players as 2 stars. That's just the lack of competition they have there I guess...that's how NY rolls.

#1,858      
There is no way Okoro isn’t starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

PG: Frazier-Feliz
SG: Dosunmu-Williams
SF: Jordan-Jones-Griffin
PF: Nichols-Kane-Vesel
C: Okoro-Ebo-Bez

If Okoro commits it will be interesting to see how Underwood handles the frontcourt.

Do not agree with PF and C

PF: Nichols-Bez-Vesel
C: Ebo-Kane-Okoro

See Okoro long term as PF as Kane will be C. Just guessing Ebo will be more ready than the rest but foul problems will probably assure at least four of the above have ample playing time. Liddel could change the equation should we get him. Also see the increase in size of a Jones aiding Kipper at the four. Would guess there will be plenty of practice experiments with different combos.

#1,859      

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
Do not agree with PF and C

PF: Nichols-Bez-Vesel
C: Ebo-Kane-Okoro

See Okoro long term as PF as Kane will be C. Just guessing Ebo will be more ready than the rest but foul problems will probably assure at least four of the above have ample playing time. Liddel could change the equation should we get him. Also see the increase in size of a Jones aiding Kipper at the four. Would guess there will be plenty of practice experiments with different combos.

Okoro would immediately step in and be our best frotncourt player. If you think he’s reclassifying to do anything other than start, you’re sorely mistaken.

#1,860      
There is no way Okoro isn’t starting day 1 if he comes here. He may not be ready for the role, but there is literally no one else in our frontcourt who is ready either. Right now this is my best guess on the lineup next year:

PG: Frazier-Feliz
SG: Dosunmu-Williams
SF: Jordan-Jones-Griffin
PF: Nichols-Kane-Vesel
C: Okoro-Ebo-Bez

If Okoro commits it will be interesting to see how Underwood handles the frontcourt.

Feliz was brought in to run the point. If he was brought in as a back up, we would have waited on Ramey. One more player will leave, too. I think we add two more.

Ideally:

C. Okoro, Kane, Ebo
F. Nichols, Golden, Giorgi
G. Dosunmu, Jones
G. Frazier, Jordan, Griffin
G. Feliz, Williams

I think Griffin will move into the rotation early taking someone’s minutes. I look for a big jump for Williams. Kane and Ebo fight it out for rotation, but Kane is almost 4 inches taller.

#1,861      
Griffin is closer to a 2 star recruit than a 4 star recruit. Okoro is not a 5 star recruit, especially if he reclassifies.
Why are you guys arguing over "Stars" and how does what year someone graduates have anything to do with the kind of player he can be? Okoro is mature and is a very very good high school player. One in our state likely only second to Adam Miller. Right now we need a big more. This ranking crap gets old. Last year at this time I'm sure you guys wanted MS more than TF. Cliff Alexander or Carlton Bragg more than less athletic players that blew them away on the court. I'm old n tired and gonna take a break young fellas. By the way, neither McHale, Bird, or the Chief were athletic were 5 stars I guess but somehow are in the hall over much more decorated under achieving high flying athletes.Go Illini!

Last edited:
#1,862      

illini80

Forgottonia
Feliz was brought in to run the point. If he was brought in as a back up, we would have waited on Ramey. One more player will leave, too. I think we add two more.

Ideally:

C. Okoro, Kane, Ebo
F. Nichols, Golden, Giorgi
G. Dosunmu, Jones
G. Frazier, Jordan, Griffin
G. Feliz, Williams

I think Griffin will move into the rotation early taking someone’s minutes. I look for a big jump for Williams. Kane and Ebo fight it out for rotation, but Kane is almost 4 inches taller.
That would be a great line up and a great future for Illinois basketball. Hope it comes to pass.

Always appreciate your input combes.

#1,863      
I like that we’re talking more about Kofi. Huge fan of his game, after seeing him play a few times. Always thoughtit would be a strech to get, but i like that we’re persuing him.

#1,866      
Its a good bet that there's a reason everyone keeps dropping out of the "Ramey sweepstakes."

Are teams actually dropping? We got Feliz and Mack said he isn't recruiting him but there are still a bunch of schools recruiting him. What the story behind schools losing interest in Ramey? It seems like a rumor to me.

#1,867      

Deleted member 631370

D
Are teams actually dropping? We got Feliz and Mack said he isn't recruiting him but there are still a bunch of schools recruiting him. What the story behind schools losing interest in Ramey? It seems like a rumor to me.

I would imagine Oklahoma State and Texas are still recruiting him, right?

We dropped out (presumably) because we took Feliz. Mizzou may or may not be out based on getting Mark Smith, but that appears to be related to some personal history between the Smiths and the Rameys. Beyond that.......

#1,869      
Why are you guys arguing over "Stars" and how does what year someone graduates have anything to do with the kind of player he can be? Okoro is mature and is a very very good high school player. One in our state likely only second to Adam Miller. Right now we need a big more. This ranking crap gets old. Last year at this time I'm sure you guys wanted MS more than TF. Cliff Alexander or Carlton Bragg more than less athletic players that blew them away on the court. I'm old n tired and gonna take a break young fellas. By the way, neither McHale, Bird, or the Chief were athletic were 5 stars I guess but somehow are in the hall over much more decorated under achieving high flying athletes.Go Illini!

Praise the basketball gods. Common sense here spot on.

#1,870      
I would imagine Oklahoma State and Texas are still recruiting him, right?

We dropped out (presumably) because we took Feliz. Mizzou may or may not be out based on getting Mark Smith, but that appears to be related to some personal history between the Smiths and the Rameys. Beyond that.......

OSU and Texas are definitely still recruiting Ramey.

#1,871      

jmilt7

Waukegan
This chatter about Matic transfer is more about his past performance last year, which we all know was about 0. My thoughts are he might get the chance, but when he was recruited, staff brought his mom with, and her feelings was he was to get a great education, not sure she was worried about basketball. For him to leave, I think he would have to want to. His minutes couldn't get much less, so he would be hard to cut what isn't there.

His aggressiveness seems to be the one thing he needed to overcome. Will he, hard to say, but I don't think he can be creaned. Him being on roster is something that seems to be a given. Hope the staff will get the most out of him. Seems to me till he changes his mind, we have 1 schollie to give out. Time will show who will be the choice or option we have!;):illinois:

Agreed. I am probably over optimistic about Vesel. Seems as if we are of two minds on Vesel. Most I think, have him all but packed and out the door already. While a few of us think he isn't going anywhere and actually could be a decent player the upcoming year. As I mentioned in another thread, this coming year is the one year that he has the opportunity to show that he can do something. Maybe not become a starter but a key player off the bench perhaps. Kane and Giorgi are going to be this past year's Ebo. That is, they are freshman and as such will probably play as much as Ebo did. They will get minutes but not at first. So this is the opportunity for Vesel to come off the bench and be the player that a lot of people say he is in practice.

Although he did not play a lot in games, just being at this level may give him a slight advantage over the incoming freshmen. The game may have slowed down for him a little now.

I was reminded by someone here that Vesel was not a starter on his last team. So this staff must have seen something in him otherwise why would they go with someone who didn't even start?

Also, Vesel mentioned somewhere that he was going to be spending a lot of time in the weight room with Fletch this summer. So maybe he isn't going anywhere just yet.

Of course, all bets are off if we get Okoro or Golden or a 5th year transfer.

#1,872      

haasi

New York
While a few of us think he isn't going anywhere and actually could be a decent player the upcoming year.

I don’t think vesel has any shot of being a real contributor this year. if he sticks around, I think best case is he shows he’s able to play spot minutes and be a little bit effective (which would be a big jump) and then next year actually contributes as a junior. Seems like the odds are very much against him, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he developed into a solid contributor as a junior/senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,873      

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
I don’t think vesel has any shot of being a real contributor this year. if he sticks around, I think best case is he shows he’s able to play spot minutes and be a little bit effective (which would be a big jump) and then next year actually contributes as a junior. Seems like the odds are very much against him, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he developed into a solid contributor as a junior/senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me BU likes what he thinks Matic can become.
Is all of the "Matic is leaving" discussion borne of Fan Forums or legitimate reporting?
Perhaps Matic could take a soph redshirt to prepare for a bigger contribution later...

#1,874      
Okoro is gone...says it in the officials he has taken to Purdue and Oregon...and also in his quotes: "they asked...I granted (but it's not really my choosing to have them come)". It's never over, but if there ever was a case to plan big time for a plan C/D/E...it would be now.

#1,875      
Okoro is gone...says it in the officials he has taken to Purdue and Oregon...and also in his quotes: "they asked...I granted (but it's not really my choosing to have them come)". It's never over, but if there ever was a case to plan big time for a plan C/D/E...it would be now.

I would smack my kid in the head if he chose to take an official to a school 45 minutes away from home if schools all across the country were recruiting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.