Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,055      
Here you go. Enjoy this new video of Ayo feeding dimes. With the way Ayo, Trent, and El General can feed dimes, has to bode well for big guys: Mr. Okoro, Mr. Golden, Mr. Kane, Mr. Liddell, Mr. Bezhanishvili, etc.

https://twitter.com/SLAM_HS/status/986274753857163265

Everything Ayo does just looks so effortless. Even when it comes to finishing has anyone actually seen him go up hard for a dunk? It seems like he is why waste the energy type of guy and lets just do a simple lay-up

#2,056      
Everything Ayo does just looks so effortless. Even when it comes to finishing has anyone actually seen him go up hard for a dunk? It seems like he is why waste the energy type of guy and lets just do a simple lay-up

Being a good layup-maker is an underappreciated skill. It's not flashy, but can't be understated.

#2,058      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Correct, some are just high on their usual stuff.

200.gif

#2,059      
Frank has been my favorite Illini throughout the years as well. His ability to take over games (especially against Mizzou) and change the flow was unparalleled. I also agree with the JaQuan Lyle-Ayo comparison.

It is interesting that neither my favorite Illini player ever (Frank) nor my favorite non-Illini player ever (Dwayne "Pearl" Washington) had the expected NBA career after college. But both were amazing college players and fun to watch.

Frank had a way of just dominating games.

#2,062      
Being a good layup-maker is an underappreciated skill. It's not flashy, but can't be understated.

Yeah i agree 100%. I guess i was more going for that he could be explosive if he wanted to as far as finishing goes but he just doesn't bother.

JJ Redick did an interview years ago after his first dunk or something and he said yeah he can dunk but its not his game. if he can take a lay up why waste the extra energy

#2,064      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I've been comparing him to Sir Frank for a while now. Same size, vision, passing ability and most of all, ball handling ability. He gets wherever he wants on the floor and he's super crafty finishing around the rim.
Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

#2,068      
Being in the building for this was a good time.
[YOUTUBE]Z7vUFeDa5FQ[/YOUTUBE]

Will we ever see 2 behind the back passes for dunks/lay-ups in a game again?

Wow! I forgot how awesome Frankie was, but I still remember the FEELING of watching his games. That's the difference between a dunk and a lay-up... The energy and excitement is a powerful thing that should not be undervalued. Sure they're both worth 2 pts, but momentum can shift with a sweet dunk.

Ayo seems like a gamer, and I'm hoping he knows when to turn it into showtime

:chief:

#2,072      
I think with Ayo's quickness and finishing ability, as well as length and prototypical size for an NBA guard, if he contributes his first two years here, he'll be drafted after that. His shot isn't terrible like some posters here are implying and to be frank, shooting prowess isn't a huge factor in getting drafted anyways nowadays.

Honestly we need more guys in the NBA and I think it would be incredibly beneficial for the sustainability of BU's program to take a Chicago PG and get him drafted.

#2,073      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Man I could watch that kid play every day and twice on Sunday!
Thanks for those videos, its been a while.

If Ayo even comes close to that, its gonna be wonderful Illinois basketball for however long we are blessed to have him! :thumb::illinois:

#2,074      
Ayo's actually bigger and longer than Frank was, but he's not the same kind of electric athlete or showstopping dime-dropper.

Frank is probably my favorite Illini ever, I wouldn't pass out that comp lightly. The closest I've seen among players we've been involved with in recent years is JaQuan Lyle (complete with the hot-and-cold motor and general flakiness, it would appear).

Just wanted to go on record that HRF is also my favorite Illini ever. Is Ayo really that much bigger and longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.