Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,201      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Scary thing about these posts on Ayo is that they remind me of the love MS was getting last year. He and Alstork were going to be the high scorers, DaW would probably red shirt and Ebo would be rarely used. Of course those statements were probably not made by the current posters, who are much smarter.

The difference is MS being focused on baseball for years prior to switching the focus to basketball. MS will be fine, but he may never live up to his potential.
Ayo is a completely different story.:illinois:

#2,202      
How about Andre Miller? Same size, seldom if ever dunked, good vision/passing, crafty handles, weaves his way through traffic, killer hesitation and fakes, great finisher, never known for his outside shooting but he hit big shots, quiet guy but competitive...

Andre was one of the best passers of the early 2000s (top 10 all time). Ayo seems to be a more gifted scorer than pure point.

To me, Ayo's best comp is somebody like Jordan Clarkson. Big combo guard that can play spot minutes at the point but is best getting buckets. Ayo is probably a bit less explosive than Clarkson, but more crafty/better feel in time. If Ayo wants to make it in the league, however, he'll need to prove he can be a pure PG, or otherwise hope to be a PG/CG coming off the bench.

#2,203      
More drama on the Ramey recruitment front. Man, I'm glad we grabbed the El General when we did. I have a feeling we may have been left holding the bag on this one.

Louisville target Courtney Ramey will play in the Allen Iverson Classic this weekend just outside of Philadelphia. Because of a mixup in his travel plans, an in-home visit with Louisville for tonight has been postponed. New visit date being worked on.

https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/986683086451732485

My son&myself decided this time around 2 b very patient& diligent throughout this process. I apologies if it hasn't been courteous 2 media & fans but this is what my son wants & I support it. This is y we have ignored 99% of ?s If u hear something its probably not true or from us
https://twitter.com/Rameybasketball/status/986683585674571776

#2,204      
More drama on the Ramey recruitment front. Man, I'm glad we grabbed the El General when we did. I have a feeling we may have been left holding the bag on this one.

Louisville target Courtney Ramey will play in the Allen Iverson Classic this weekend just outside of Philadelphia. Because of a mixup in his travel plans, an in-home visit with Louisville for tonight has been postponed. New visit date being worked on.

https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/986683086451732485

My son&myself decided this time around 2 b very patient& diligent throughout this process. I apologies if it hasn't been courteous 2 media & fans but this is what my son wants & I support it. This is y we have ignored 99% of ?s If u hear something its probably not true or from us
https://twitter.com/Rameybasketball/status/986683585674571776

Saw a car full of basketball coaches leaving Ramey's house on Monday. Pretty sure it was Texas as they were wearing orange. I know Ok State is still on him, but it looked like Texas orange to me.

#2,205      
Scary thing about these posts on Ayo is that they remind me of the love MS was getting last year. He and Alstork were going to be the high scorers, DaW would probably red shirt and Ebo would be rarely used. Of course those statements were probably not made by the current posters, who are much smarter.

It won't ever change, sadly.

#2,206      
If it was these guys I'ma say Mizzou...

clown-car.jpg

hahaha. I was hoping I'd be around when Cuonzo came by yesterday so that I could spit on him, but he must have had the in home earlier in the day.

#2,211      
I find it crazy that kids like Nojel Eastern are declaring for the NBA draft (albeit without hiring an NBA agent). Maybe it will be a good wake up call for him and others - there are too many players thinking they're NBA material when they're a ways off.
Nah, man, it's a smart move for anybody who wants to play in the League. You get to go and get feedback from scouts and industry people and then go back to college scot-free and play some more and work up your game.

Hiring an agent is the differentiator between those who don't want to look back and those who just intend to get feedback about their game.

#2,212      

Tacomallini

Washington State
Lucas Johnson reminds me of a younger, more tenacious, Brian Johnson.

:thumb:plus he had that sweet ride that Brian painted orange and blue his senior year. My 30 second half-assed attempt to find a photo online failed.

#2,213      
Andre was one of the best passers of the early 2000s (top 10 all time). Ayo seems to be a more gifted scorer than pure point.

To me, Ayo's best comp is somebody like Jordan Clarkson. Big combo guard that can play spot minutes at the point but is best getting buckets. Ayo is probably a bit less explosive than Clarkson, but more crafty/better feel in time. If Ayo wants to make it in the league, however, he'll need to prove he can be a pure PG, or otherwise hope to be a PG/CG coming off the bench.

I think I see 3 players (Frazier, Dosunmu, Feliz who can get into the paint, draw defenders and dish....I'm just hoping we can have our players hit that open 3 this year.

#2,214      

IllFanInMi

I
Enough comparisons on Ayo, we should all learn from MS that it is not fair to compare. Let Ayo be Ayo and hopefully that works in everyone's favor on a highly positive side.

P.S., I do think he is like The Fridge, but 160 L Bees less and Fridge could dunk with more power.

#2,215      
Nah, man, it's a smart move for anybody who wants to play in the League. You get to go and get feedback from scouts and industry people and then go back to college scot-free and play some more and work up your game.

Hiring an agent is the differentiator between those who don't want to look back and those who just intend to get feedback about their game.

Yes, but you can only withdraw from the draft twice. I understand the value in getting feedback, etc. That's obvious. But I would think that one might want to use their 'tests' when they're a bit closer to being considered an NBA prospect. Feedback tends to be more valuable when it doesn't involve improving in a bazillion areas, but rather when it can be much more specific and based off a larger sample size (both in games played, minutes played, shots taken, etc.).

#2,216      
Maybe I am missing something, but based on what you posted, I don't see much drama. First part was rescheduling a conflict.

Second part? Kid decommitted to a program due to several issues. Some related to him perhaps, some beyond his control. Now they are being very careful. What's the issue with that? Other than the poor grammar :D

Well, I wish I had the energy to explain in detail, but I don't. Maybe someone else can update you on what has happened regarding his recruitment in detail.

But in a nutshell, Louisville has been in and out and in and out. Everyone thought he was down to two schools, but he came out with ten schools.

I don't fault any kid, or any family, for taking their time, but some communication break downs have occurred to make this recruitment dramatic, just ask Mr. Underwood. He found out what was going on, after investigating, and moved on.

Here is a Louisville oriented perspective, just one school of the ten:
https://bigredlouie.com/2018/04/18/four-star-guard-cancels-visit-with-louisville/

Last edited:
#2,217      
Bottom line everything in recruiting is speculation. Kids who were never ranked become all americans. Baker mayfield was a 3 star turned Heisman. Insert any of the numerous top 25 kids who never pan out, even on a college level.

In fact, i think a better rating system would be a percentage of potential success. Ayo has been consistently ranked in the top 25ish. MS had less than 1 year of good basketball. Alstork was playing in a low major conference and wasnt never a lights out shooter (though he did drop off significantly.)

I wont say Ayo will be who we thought MS or MA would be, but the chances hes a better player than either of them is much higher than the converse.

Also, I still believe the jury is out on MS. Ayo has a higher probability than either to succeed at the collegiate level.

IMHO, there is one question to be answered concerning the success Ayo will have for the Illini. Does he have the same passion to stop his man from scoring as he does to score or assist? Any team needs their best player to have that kind of attitude. If so, he can lead without saying a word and return the program to elite. We will know by Christmas.

#2,219      
... just ask Mr. Underwood. He found out what was going on, after investigating, and moved on.

Here is a Louisville oriented perspective, just one school of the ten:
https://bigredlouie.com/2018/04/18/four-star-guard-cancels-visit-with-louisville/

Would love to know what Underwood thinks about what is going on there. Cannot imagine Chris Mack is impressed at the moment.

From the outside, seems the Ramey family enjoys the drama around this more than the actual outcome.

#2,220      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Maybe I am missing something, but based on what you posted, I don't see much drama. First part was rescheduling a conflict.

Second part? Kid decommitted to a program due to several issues. Some related to him perhaps, some beyond his control. Now they are being very careful. What's the issue with that? Other than the poor grammar :D

Really. When did "myself" become a nominative (or subjective) pronoun?

Anyway, and maybe this doesn't belong here, but they were Illini recruits; will Javon Pickett be playing for Missouri this upcoming season? If so, that will be two former Illini recruits and the following year (if Tilmon stays for his third year) it will be three. And they all at one time signed NLOIs right (maybe not Pickett)? Tilmon will start, Smith probably and maybe Pickett. I just find that weird that Missouri will be fielding an "Illini" team.

Last edited:
#2,221      
Ayo is a basketball player who does good basketball things. MS was pure projection.

well, sure but I see a problem in Ayo's shooting, which was one of Smith's problems and when Damonte starts seeing more playing time.... this is where we will tell if the young man will rise above, or transfer out to a minor SEC team :D:chief::chief::chief:

#2,222      

illini80

Forgottonia
Really. When did "myself" become a nominative (or subjective) pronoun?

Anyway, and maybe this doesn't belong here, but they were Illini recruits; will Javon Pickett be playing for Missouri this upcoming season? If so, that will be two former Illini recruits and the following year (if Tilmon stays for his third year) it will be three. And they all at one time signed NLOIs right (maybe not Pickett)? Tilmon will start, Smith probably and maybe Pickett. I just find that weird that Missouri will be fielding an "Illini" team.
I didn't even realize Pickett had reclassified back a year. Actually I didn't know that was possible. Wonder if his game has progressed. I'm a bit surprised Miznoz was interested. Tough to imagine that one working out well, but who knows.

#2,223      
I remember when I first saw Ayo and came on here and said he reminded me of Frank Nittty people downplayed it.

#2,224      
Slide from the Kahlil Whitney in-home tonight. Heard it went very well.:shield:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.16.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 10.16.14 PM.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,902
Last edited:
#2,225      

haasi

New York
Staff letting the Kool Aid flow - love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk