Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,601      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Not saying you are wrong but this guy says it is official. Confusing much? Considering the writer of this article my bet is with you.

https://writingillini.com/2018/04/25/illinois-basketball-illini-getting-official-visit-maurice-calloo/

That dude is a brutal writer. Not that I could do much better, but that's why I stick to message board posts, LOL.

The tweet he referenced just said a visit, neither official nor unofficial.

Not sure I'm really pumped about Calloo. I guess if we whiff on both Okoro and Golden, sure. but if we get one of those two, I'd prefer letting the last ride carry over to 19, and we'd have 2 open rides for next year.

#2,611      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Don't think there's any chance we bring in Calloo on an official. We've slow played that guy for so long (as has everyone else).

IMO, not a big deal if Okoro's eventual visit is an unofficial. He's an hour away and has been to campus several times. Remember Mark Smith's final visit?

#2,612      

Deleted member 14522

D
Missouri just added another transfer guard, Dru Smith from Evansville. I think Robertson blowing up for them as a grad transfer may be fools gold. I am glad that we aren't going after so many transfers like Groce did. Gotta think Ramey is going to go to Louisville. Would love to beat them again in the Braggin rights game. That can only help us in future recruitments of St. Louis area prospects.

#2,613      
Groce did a good job of not letting the program go into a free fall unlike what occurred at Indiana. But the cost was bringing transfers, some of them cost us waiting a couple of years for (Rice, Starks) and others just didn't pan out (Paul, Crosby).

I now think the BU and Lovie Smith approach is better for long-term success. Take your medicine and lay the foundation by getting good freshmen.

#2,614      
Comparing Callo to Shaw is not accurate, Shaw was much more impressive in high school. IMHO I think you need to accept that college in going to require more work and intensity to get to the next level. Shaw faced more PF/C his size or bigger and couldn't adjust. But once again, just with MSmith I believe with experience and training would of been an effective player. But review some youtube video on Shaw and he was competitive with some of the best big men in the country.

The comparison of their fall in the rankings as they got older is accurate even if their games truly differ as you suggest.

I want ascending players not guys that are falling apart.

#2,615      
Groce did a good job of not letting the program go into a free fall unlike what occurred at Indiana. But the cost was bringing transfers, some of them cost us waiting a couple of years for (Rice, Starks) and others just didn't pan out (Paul, Crosby).

I now think the BU and Lovie Smith approach is better for long-term success. Take your medicine and lay the foundation by getting good freshmen.

Depending on what you mean by free fall, I'm not sure that Groce saved us from it. I'd suggest that last year falls squarely on his shoulders.

We were constantly putting on band-aids (transfers, most of which were not good) instead of recruiting good high school players and building a program.

#2,617      

The distinction with Lovie and BU is not so much recruiting high school players as torching their inherited rosters as deeply and quickly as possible.

The wisdom of that remains a decidedly unfinished experiment. Wouldn't have been my choice in either case.

#2,619      
The comparison of their fall in the rankings as they got older is accurate even if their games truly differ as you suggest.

I want ascending players not guys that are falling apart.

I get that perspective and agree to it to a certain extent but some people misinterpret the final rankings as a stock. If a player is ranked high in their high school career but drops off significantly, it doesn't necessarily mean that they've had a drop in performance and will continue to decline. In most cases, these players were just more mature or skilled compared to other kids their age. A player that is ranked 120th, but was originally in the top 50, should have the same impact as a player that is ranked 120th but was previously unranked. That being said, I think some sites are really bad with rankings of players outside the top 50 players (ESPN). It seems like they put minimal effort into evaluating in recent years.

#2,620      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Seems a rather egregious error considering they can't extend the same amenities to Okoro that he just enjoyed at Oregon and Purdue. What about a waiver?
Doesn't it just mean that the family would have to pay? He could still do all the other things he'd do on an OV, right? Given that at least one of his guardians is a professor I'm sure they can still do it up nice if they want to.

Not sure I'm really pumped about Calloo. I guess if we whiff on both Okoro and Golden, sure. but if we get one of those two, I'd prefer letting the last ride carry over to 19, and we'd have 2 open rides for next year.
After what happened this season, do you really think we will have only one scholly for '19 regardless? I'm pretty sure we can count on there being at least the two available even if we take another for '18.

#2,621      

sacraig

The desert
Doesn't it just mean that the family would have to pay? He could still do all the other things he'd do on an OV, right? Given that at least one of his guardians is a professor I'm sure they can still do it up nice if they want to.

I have a feeling that your thoughts on what professors (typically) make are inflated. In STEM fields, senior professors can make a pretty penny, but junior professors generally don't make quite as much as a similarly experienced and degreed engineer in industry. In non STEM fields, the picture is quite a bit worse in most cases. It's a decent living, but not enough to be living the high life.

#2,622      
I don't follow the roster maneuverings in football much, but it does not seem that Underwood did this intentionally. The only guy who left who was more than likely pushed out seems to have been Vesel.

I’m not convinced we pushed out Vessel. Did we really need an 8th Scholly this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,623      
I have a feeling that your thoughts on what professors (typically) make are inflated. In STEM fields, senior professors can make a pretty penny, but junior professors generally don't make quite as much as a similarly experienced and degreed engineer in industry. In non STEM fields, the picture is quite a bit worse in most cases. It's a decent living, but not enough to be living the high life.

Their salaries are public if we want to avoid speculation. You're not wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.