Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,676      
I don't see us getting him or Liddell, but I would bet that we get a good big in 2019 that isn't a big name on these threads at the moment. We narrow it down too much by thinking we need a certain player from the state. We'll have the most success if we continue to recruit nationally, and eventually we'll get in-state guys to stay on a regular basis if we win.

Key point here, carryon going macro in recruiting and it will be rewarding. There are 49 other states and hundreds of countries internationally with top basketball players, as well, from which to choose.

#2,677      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
PSA: Let's lament losing Okoro (or any other coveted in-stater) when it happens.

#2,678      
Losing Okoro to Purdue would be a devastating blow. We are in desperate need of quality big men and Purdue is loaded with them.

Also, losing another elite talent from our own backyard to a conference rival would be tough to stomach.

As I see it, we stand just as good a chance to land Okoro as OU or PU, but we have a wild card. Ayo. He has said and Okoro has confirmed they have been communicating a lot for some time. He has taken many visits to UI campus , and enjoyed them, in his words.

Seems his visits to OU and PU were enjoyed also. He really hasn't said a lot more to indicate much, that I have seen.
Geographical locations don't seem to matter to him, unless what was said about this, aunt and uncle didn't mind that as long as he is going to get a good education was just talk
Taking this into consideration, here is how I break it down. Reclassification is what would happen make this commitment come soon.

#1 He likes OU, but he will be playing behind Bol Bol , so the PT is a factor there. The campus is very nice but 1000+ miles away from home.

#2 He likes PU, likes staff but would likely not be #1 and would share minutes. Campus is about 2 hours away from home. Good education value.

#3 He likes us, would more than likely be #1 at his position from the get go, has a friend already on team, home is about 1hour away. Good education value.

Did simplify that out right? So, reclassification happens, and sounds like test results main factor, when that is cleared up, these are his choices. Interesting to see no real blue bloods chasing him. Is it because he feel he has already made a choice? Not sure, but all indications are that only the 3 have any shot at him.

Looking at how I'm seeing this , Ago being the wildcard, we look to be in very good shape. Anyone else have input?;):illinois:

#2,679      
1. Trent Frazier (8/19/16)
2. Damonte Williams (9/9/16)
3. Jeremiah Tillmon (9/9/16)
4. Javon Pickett (9/9/16)
5. Kris Wilkes (9/9/16)
6. Abu Kigbab (9/16/16)
7. Mayan Kiir (10/7/16)

I'll let someone else do the research on whether we fall in this category and if Groce used up 75% of the official visits in the prior year. For now, I have to get back to this paper.[/SIZE][/FONT]

According to JJB’s beaut of a post Groce used 7 between August and October 2016. We’d need to see how many came before Trent and when. Need two more before Trent it would seem.

#2,680      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
PSA: Let's lament losing Okoro (or any other coveted in-stater) when it happens.

Agreed. Still think we are in good position vs current 2018 options. If he doesn't visit this week, I reserve the right to edit this post!

#2,681      
As I see it, we stand just as good a chance to land Okoro as OU or PU, but we have a wild card. Ayo. He has said and Okoro has confirmed they have been communicating a lot for some time. He has taken many visits to UI campus , and enjoyed them, in his words.

Seems his visits to OU and PU were enjoyed also. He really hasn't said a lot more to indicate much, that I have seen.
Geographical locations don't seem to matter to him, unless what was said about this, aunt and uncle didn't mind that as long as he is going to get a good education was just talk
Taking this into consideration, here is how I break it down. Reclassification is what would happen make this commitment come soon.

#1 He likes OU, but he will be playing behind Bol Bol , so the PT is a factor there. The campus is very nice but 1000+ miles away from home.

#2 He likes PU, likes staff but would likely not be #1 and would share minutes. Campus is about 2 hours away from home. Good education value.

#3 He likes us, would more than likely be #1 at his position from the get go, has a friend already on team, home is about 1hour away. Good education value.

Did simplify that out right? So, reclassification happens, and sounds like test results main factor, when that is cleared up, these are his choices. Interesting to see no real blue bloods chasing him. Is it because he feel he has already made a choice? Not sure, but all indications are that only the 3 have any shot at him.

Looking at how I'm seeing this , Ago being the wildcard, we look to be in very good shape. Anyone else have input?;):illinois:

Not to be a buzzkill, but on your 1st point, he’s already thousands of miles from home. He’s only been in central Illinois for a year and a half. Proximity may not be a huge factor, outside our coachs’ access.

#2,682      
Not to be a buzzkill, but on your 1st point, he’s already thousands of miles from home. He’s only been in central Illinois for a year and a half. Proximity may not be a huge factor, outside our coachs’ access.

Yes this true, but the NBA is in the USA , not his homeland. I think his objective is to play in college, at one of the aforementoned schools. These are the choices I think will pick from soon.. Any more input?

#2,683      
Yes this true, but the NBA is in the USA , not his homeland. I think his objective is to play in college, at one of the aforementoned schools. These are the choices I think will pick from soon.. Any more input?

My only comment would be that your list makes very good sense to you and to me, but that does not assure us that we can think of his list in its entirety and that is, of course, the important list. Still, your logic is appealing

#2,684      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
One of my thoughts about Okoro choosing PU is the amount of work he will get against other bigs in practice. Playing time is huge, but who you practice against every day would be a big factor IMO.:illinois:

#2,685      
One of my thoughts about Okoro choosing PU is the amount of work he will get against other bigs in practice. Playing time is huge, but who you practice against every day would be a big factor IMO.:illinois:
Thanks. The ray of hope that FCIlliniman offered is suddenly wiped away with this post. I'll stay positive though.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#2,688      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Okoro, is not going to base his decision on he goes against in practice.!

I'm not suggesting this is what he will base his decision on. FC asked for input, I was just joining the conversation with an angle that may be a consideration.

I was not trying to be a downer! :illinois:

#2,689      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Did he jump or was he pushed

I don't follow the roster maneuverings in football much, but it does not seem that Underwood did this intentionally. The only guy who left who was more than likely pushed out seems to have been Vesel.

Agree. I don't know why this bothers me so much. Of all the "transfers" Vesel's is the one that leaves a bad taste. It just seems as if he was the only one who was pushed out. The others may have been too but it seems more of a mutual thing with them. But Vesel was still hanging out, practicing with the others who are still on campus or whatever until recently. He did not announce that he was transferring to another school or that he planned on resuming his European career. He just left, abruptly. No word as to why. At least that I have heard. I have to guess that it was a creaning.

I don't really want to go into whether he was going to be good or bad, a contributing player or relegated to the bench because we really don't know. We can only conjecture. There was evidence to point to both viewpoints. I am or I would be disappointed if it turns out he was "pushed" out in a rather Machiavellian manner in the hopes of securing someone better. So maybe someone can assuage my sense of fair play (that is, that it was not fair) about this. I guess I kind of expected better of BU and this staff.

#2,690      
Agree. I don't know why this bothers me so much. Of all the "transfers" Vesel's is the one that leaves a bad taste. It just seems as if he was the only one who was pushed out. The others may have been too but it seems more of a mutual thing with them. But Vesel was still hanging out, practicing with the others who are still on campus or whatever until recently. He did not announce that he was transferring to another school or that he planned on resuming his European career. He just left, abruptly. No word as to why. At least that I have heard. I have to guess that it was a creaning.

I don't really want to go into whether he was going to be good or bad, a contributing player or relegated to the bench because we really don't know. We can only conjecture. There was evidence to point to both viewpoints. I am or I would be disappointed if it turns out he was "pushed" out in a rather Machiavellian manner in the hopes of securing someone better. So maybe someone can assuage my sense of fair play (that is, that it was not fair) about this. I guess I kind of expected better of BU and this staff.

Statefarmcenter has been posting for months the vesel leaving was a done deal, just not public. He also said the agreement was the staff allowing him to workout and practice despite the fact that he was leaving. He seems to be pretty spot on for a few months in a row on this one.

#2,691      
From my twitter machine:

@RyanEasterling
2018 signee Tevian Jones is here in Indy rocking the #illini jacket watching Brad Beal Elite take on Team Takeover.

Oh, and Blake Hinson committed to Ole Miss per his twitter machine.

#2,692      

t7nich

Central IL
From my twitter machine:

@RyanEasterling
2018 signee Tevian Jones is here in Indy rocking the #illini jacket watching Brad Beal Elite take on Team Takeover.

Oh, and Blake Hinson committed to Ole Miss per his twitter machine.

Cheers to Hinson in his commitment (not to Missouri)

#2,693      
Apparently Okoro asked Fletch for some tips on how he can get more agile. Fletch told him “Lighten up, Francis”.

Ole ward ya done it again.

#2,694      
Apparently Okoro asked Fletch for some tips on how he can get more agile. Fletch told him “Lighten up, Francis”.

Ole ward ya done it again.

Lol

I’d prefer he said, “I’ll show you on campus in July”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,698      
Statefarmcenter has been posting for months the vesel leaving was a done deal, just not public. He also said the agreement was the staff allowing him to workout and practice despite the fact that he was leaving. He seems to be pretty spot on for a few months in a row on this one.

Not sure this was insider tip or a hunch that all was true, but Matic had to know his spot on the team had little chance of movement. BU couldn't tell him he had to go , scholarship's are guarenteed for 4years. Now did BU continue to reinforce that fact and use a little mind game on him? Hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Fact is Matic left, with little fanfare , unfortunately it left exactly what staff needed, an open slot. Hopefully he has a good life, and his Illini exp was a good one. College basketball is like a business, there are many ways to have people move on without any having to fire them. Except in our government, guys get fired all time, most just because they are doing there job!:D;):illinois:

#2,699      
So let’s say okoro reclassifies but can’t get on campus for summer workouts. Can he play the summer aau circuit while he is reclassifying to keep playing against top competition in preparation for starting college in the fall?

Also, if he’s over 17, how is he playing 17u?

#2,700      
So let’s say okoro reclassifies but can’t get on campus for summer workouts. Can he play the summer aau circuit while he is reclassifying to keep playing against top competition in preparation for starting college in the fall?

Also, if he’s over 17, how is he playing 17u?

Hopefully he gets reclassification and commits by end of May, not sure he can join summer camp unless he gets clearance from NCAA. If that all goes well your second question becomes a non issue.

Curious , when is his birthday? Not sure he played any AAU games last fall, maybe he turned 18 then, so that would make him ineligible because of the 19 age factor in the fall? That I can't answer but I hope all goes thru in May, we get commit, and life is good in O+B !;):illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.