Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,726      
He wouldn't necessarily have to take the required classes at his high school.

So for anyone trying to figure out with has been posted, correct me if I 'm wrong. ;

Okoro. Has required test score of 32, but is lacking core classes, which ones are unclear.

Golden has decided he WILL NOT commit to U of I . Nothing confirmed but good insider info. From last posts, which all were pretty cryptic, is what I could gather.

Please correct this if any missed translation.

#2,727      
Okoro sounds like he understands Illinois give him the earliest chance of playing time. With his recent test I believe he will meet with Illini academic advisors to see if he has met the core class requirements.

I bet he is on track with honors and AP coursework that may satisfy the requirements with 3 years of HS.

I called out this scenario about 6 months. Still think it happens.

#2,728      
Okoro sounds like he understands Illinois give him the earliest chance of playing time. With his recent test I believe he will meet with Illini academic advisors to see if he has met the core class requirements.

I bet he is on track with honors and AP coursework that may satisfy the requirements with 3 years of HS.

I called out this scenario about 6 months. Still think it happens.

Still speculation, but sounds logical. He takes an unofficial visit, this transcript issue could be settled. Always nice to meet with admissions office, then he would have a clear idea of what exactly needs to be done. Wonder if that happened with his PU visit before travelled to EYBL over weekend. This all seems very logical. It would solve any remaining requirement issues. Love it when a plan comes together ! ;):illinois:

Golden issue seemed more cloudy, maybe we can get answers to that issue!

#2,729      
Still speculation, but sounds logical. He takes an unofficial visit, this transcript issue could be settled. Always nice to meet with admissions office, then he would have a clear idea of what exactly needs to be done. Wonder if that happened with his PU visit before travelled to EYBL over weekend. This all seems very logical. It would solve any remaining requirement issues. Love it when a plan comes together ! ;):illinois:

Admission counselors wouldn't be the ones that would check his status for the clearinghouse.

#2,730      
Admission counselors wouldn't be the ones that would check his status for the clearinghouse.

So is that the athletic department concern? I would think that a university would have someone in admissons that would be totally versed in NCAA Clearinghouse issues ? We do have many students that are involved as athletes who would need this on a regular basis. Do tell whom one talks to in this situation?

Last edited:
#2,734      
Regardless, props to Okoro for getting a 32, really great score. Shows me that academics are a priority for him, should bode well for Illinois in that regard.

#2,735      
Regardless, props to Okoro for getting a 32, really great score. Shows me that academics are a priority for him, should bode well for Illinois in that regard.

Clearly a very bright kid, but I'm not sure how you qualify in three years of high school. Usually these reclassifications are Canadian kids aren't they? Where their normal curriculum is five years?

#2,736      
Clearly a very bright kid, but I'm not sure how you qualify in three years of high school. Usually these reclassifications are Canadian kids aren't they? Where their normal curriculum is five years?

That's where I'm actually pretty confused. He was in 8th grade in fall of 2014, so he should have been in track to graduate in 2019 but it's possible that he was taking extra classes to put him ahead prior to attending Normal West. That being said, if he's in a public school, a student should meet the school's graduation requirements as opposed to just the state requirements. There must be some special circumstances if he's truly able to reclassify. I've only heard of one student graduating from a public school in 3 years but that was not a student athlete.

#2,737      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL

Yes, we should expect hear news this week of Okoro on campus sometime soon.

#2,738      

I knew a couple kids in high school (central Illinois) who graduated a year early. Like other posters have noted it all depends on his core classes taken.

#2,739      

That is why I said he would meet with academic advisors who are well versed at looking at both clearinghouse and Illinois academic standards for athletes.

#2,740      
That is why I said he would meet with academic advisors who are well versed at looking at both clearinghouse and Illinois academic standards for athletes.

Either one wouldn't help at this point. The family knows what they need to do if that is the concern , it would just be a waiting game to see if they'll accept everything. They can tell him what his chances are that he'd be good to go but that's about it. It's an NCAA issue not an issue through the college.

Last edited:
#2,741      
Because public schools get paid based on attendance... why would they set up programs to get rid of kids early... especially their best students?!?

They could be allowing him to graduate based off of state requirements instead of those set by Normal West but that would be incredibly shady. That wouldn't fly for any ordinary junior.

I apologize for writing so many comments on this. Regardless of how he's trying to make it work, there has to be some concern that he wouldn't get cleared right away if he does choose to reclassify. I'll stop until we get more concrete news though.

Last edited:
#2,742      
At his age, couldn’t he take the ACT get a qualifying score and then take his GED test? I know that is what Bryce Harper did to get into JUCO. I know U of I standards are much tougher but a 32 ACT would probably qualify with a GED.

#2,743      

TEYPAY

Springfield
Because public schools get paid based on attendance... why would they set up programs to get rid of kids early... especially their best students?!?

Some schools allow their kids to graduate early and then have a partnership agreement with the local community college -- they still "attend" the high school (so the high school is getting credit for attendance for state aid) but they are really taking community college courses so at the end of their "senior" year in high school - they already have 15 or so credit hours.

#2,744      
They could be allowing him to graduate based off of state requirements instead of those set by Normal West but that would be incredibly shady. That wouldn't fly for any ordinary junior.

I apologize for writing so many comments on this. Regardless of how he's trying to make it work, there has to be some concern that he wouldn't get cleared right away if he does choose to reclassify. I'll stop until we get more concrete news though.

There are many different graduation plans out there. Switching between them is not uncommon, just not necessarily preferred.

#2,745      
Besides a commitment, what would be the next good step with Okoro?

#2,746      

IllFanInMi

I
At his age, couldn’t he take the ACT get a qualifying score and then take his GED test? I know that is what Bryce Harper did to get into JUCO. I know U of I standards are much tougher but a 32 ACT would probably qualify with a GED.

NCAA has different requirements for an athlete to qualify for participation and athletic $ for D1, & D2. JUCO, is regulated by the NJCAA. Harper did what he had to do to be eligible; this does not mean he would’ve been eligible per the NCAA Clearinghouse to play D1 or D2.

#2,747      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Well, the visit. Underwood has done a a bad of job getting a start on the 2019 class so they really need to land Okoro to make up for that. I think he goes to Oregon though.

Not sure that is fair or accurate. The staff had to spend more time than they would have liked this Spring scrambling to fill the 2018 class, but they are strong with there main targets for '19: Liddell, Whitney, and Cockburn. I'm not saying they are leading for any of them, but they are solid. They probably would like to be stronger with secondary targets as well...that's probably the main result of the time spent working from behind in '18.

The Oregon guys are confident on Okoro, so there is certainly smoke. We have a strong relationship with him and his family as well, and a good sell. He won't be a starter at Oregon, while he is a starter here day 1. The 5 position in Underwood's offense highlights skills for athletic bigs. The way they used LeRon is a good sell. At his size, he has to be able to play inside and out to get to the League which he will be eased into here. I don't think that works for him at Purdue, so I think it comes down to Oregon or UI who both use versions of the Spread. Probably comes down to the glitz of Oregon and the facilities with Oregon vs being close to family and support structure in our favor. Hope his familiarity with our staff and players win out.

#2,748      

haasi

New York
Are Oregon’s facilities much better than ours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.