Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I saw this article a couple days ago and thought it might be of interest. Although it comes from an IU fan site it seems pretty straightforward. Even a small compliment to next year's Illinois team.

"A first look at who is coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2019-20 season". Just kind of a nice list of who's returning, NBA draft early entrants, who's leaving, who's arriving.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/...-going-in-the-big-ten-for-the-2019-20-season/

Flight#33

Flight#33
My question is why, if they dont have anybody transferring why are they having so many players in for a visit? And these players play different positions? They are looking at 4s and shooters like they can take both.

So how many open scholarships do we have this year? Somebody here knows it off the top of their head and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

Deleted member 11241

D
Here you go

1) Aaron Jordan (Kouma)
2) Adonis De La Rosa (Cockburn)
3) Anthony Higgs (TBD, suggest Holyfield )
4) The 13th spot has been open (TBD, suggest Woldetensae)

The 13th spot would technically be occupied by Antwan January. As of @rbachhuber scholarship grid, we have no available scholarships at this moment. But it's been pretty well stated here that January will not make it to campus and Higgs will no longer be on scholarship so we are currently looking at 2 scholarships available

Last edited by a moderator:
Kipper could be a big contributor next year just because he had an off junior year doesn’t mean he can’t come back like he did his sophomore year. If you can find his three point stroke again I think he could be a strong contributor
Kipper needs to fix his stroke...last year his form was just awful. I was amazed he ever made a 3. Fix that and he could contribute on the offensive end. The defensive end is a bit more of an issue bc it seems he struggles to grasp and remember his responsibilities with consistency. I hope like heck, as I do for all of our guys, that he has a great season.

Didn't see this posted yet, but it is a scouting report on Kofi from nbadraft.net

Kofi Cockburn C Jamaica/Oak Hill Academy (VA) 9/1/1999
7’0 in shoes, 302 lbs, 7’6 wingspan, 9’3 standing reach
3 Pts, 6 Reb

Kofi was back for a second year with the World team in 2019. His size and bulk remind you of a middle-aged Shaquille O’Neil. He is all power around the basket and tries to play bully ball. That is his strength, and he tries to exploit anyone that gets in his way. He has surprising athleticism for his size. He can really run the court and shows good bounce off the floor when in space. He lacks a legit NBA skill to score the basketball unless he over powers his opponent. His shooting range is limited, and he struggles at times to react to the pace of play. He doesn’t play off defenders, and he doesn’t have the agility to alter his pre-determined moves in the post. He can be a massive force in the paint, and he can defend the low post because of his size but I wouldn’t consider him a great rim protector. He will always be considered an NBA prospect because of his size and athleticism. He would have been a lottery pick 15-20 years ago, but it is hard to see how his game translates to the NBA in today’s game of pace and space. I expect he will be a great Div. I player for multiple years, but his upside for the NBA is a big question mark. He should try to lose some of his bulk and improve his skill set as much as possible next year at Illinois. The fighting Illini are getting a heck of a college player who will dominate the day he steps on campus, but I just don’t know how he fits in today’s NBA.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't see this posted yet, but it is a scouting report on Kofi from nbadraft.net

3 Pts, 6 Reb

Kofi was back for a second year with the World team in 2019. His size and bulk remind you of a middle-aged Shaquille O’Neil. He is all power around the basket and tries to play bully ball. That is his strength, and he tries to exploit anyone that gets in his way. He has surprising athleticism for his size. He can really run the court and shows good bounce off the floor when in space. He lacks a legit NBA skill to score the basketball unless he over powers his opponent. His shooting range is limited, and he struggles at times to react to the pace of play. He doesn’t play off defenders, and he doesn’t have the agility to alter his pre-determined moves in the post. He can be a massive force in the paint, and he can defend the low post because of his size but I wouldn’t consider him a great rim protector. He will always be considered an NBA prospect because of his size and athleticism. He would have been a lottery pick 15-20 years ago, but it is hard to see how his game translates to the NBA in today’s game of pace and space. I expect he will be a great Div. I player for multiple years, but his upside for the NBA is a big question mark. He should try to lose some of his bulk and improve his skill set as much as possible next year at Illinois. The fighting Illini are getting a heck of a college player who will dominate the day he steps on campus, but I just don’t know how he fits in today’s NBA.
I didn't realize he's already going to be 20 by the time he plays a game for us. Being essentially already a grown man is going to help immensely in his adjustment to college ball, just as it helped Giorgi.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'

3 Pts, 6 Reb

Get Kofi to drop ~20lbs, increase his athleticism a little in the process; there's a place for him. Saying this without ever seeing him play a college game, but it's just a projection. You don't have to be Kevin Durant; Andre Drummond seems more of a reasonable aspiration.

3 Pts, 6 Reb

Translation: Doesn't project to leave early, will be issuing beat downs on smaller college players for a minimum of three years

Status
Not open for further replies.