Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just swinging by to see if anything confirmed with Holyfield yet....not seeing anything out there...has gone a little quiet since he apparently dropped a *hint*...not sure if ILL is making room or what...?

Also reading the posts above...I heard there were some alpha dog issues with Trent and Ayo last season...nothing crazy, just some confusion and confidence issues...in the games I caught, I never was able to make out who the real leader of the team was....seems like Trent went from being 'the man' to deferring...would be great to see them sort this out...could be the top backcourt in the league...
why would we have to make room for Holyfield? Also no alpha dog issues with Ayo and Trent not sure where those rumors are coming from lol.

I'm completely fine if we wind up keeping Kouma for this class. Taking project bigs seems like a great way to fill out the 12th and 13th scholarships on your roster. You'll certainly pull in a fair share of Vessels. But chances are the Vessels are gone after a year or 2 and you bring in more bodies and build up a stable of competent junior/senior big men with what you keep. And you can even find the occasional Giorgi. Big men just seem to be such a crap shoot. Think volume is the best way to find/develop good ones.

Probably because of Trent's funk at times this year.

Why did our staff give him a "committable" offer if they didn't want Kuoma? Same for Holyfield. Just what are you implying?
Trents funk came cause he was trying to find a balance between facilitation and shooting. Im just saying if ORN Holyfield TW commit I wouldn't expect Kuoma to be here next year.

Is it possible Trents partial funk could be from learning more of the system and Brad giving him more responsibilities? Being a freshman and thrust into starting role maybe he had free reign to shoot, pass, drive whatever comfortable with then in 2nd season given more defined roles he had to process? Not a knock in any way because I feel Trent is up to the task and will prosper this season. This also brings the possibility that similar scenario might play out with Ayo and Giorgi? I feel they are both exceptional talents and basketball minds but in the scheme of a team might be reigned in somewhat by the system as younger skilled players get the free reign, at least until the building of the Underwood system if fully implemented and roster is fully stocked ? One of several options need to step up at the 3 out of Griffin, Williams,Nichols or even Jones. The skills the core 3 possess have me optimistic with the addition of actual size and skill down low we can be dancing this season. Interesting times and a time for optimism.

This. Not going to pretend to know what's going on there, but he seems like a contingency plan.
It would not not be good look to make the announcement if he wasn’t really offered a scholarship. I’d like to believe that’s not the case.

Isn't that just a rosier way of saying there was an alpha dog struggle? Or struggling to adjust to not being the only alpha dog?

The struggle would have to be between the two players though similar to Mark Smith being jealous of Trent. That isn't the case here Ayo and Trent are boys no one is trying to be the lead dog over the other. Those two just want to win.

Last edited:
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/23/ncaa-basketball-graduate-transfer-tj-holyfield-five-schools/

Not sure that it has any validity, but article makes sense. Author says its between TTech and us for Holyfield. Seems to me he's already been on officials to Miami, TTech and Kansas, so shouldn't be that long. Seems like almost the perfect pick up for this system. Shoots over 40% from 3, FT% is decent over his career, in the 70s used to guarding guys a little bigger. here's hoping. Could be his decision is the hang up with Kouma being committable? Although seems to me that in spite of Kouma being listed as a 4, his play is more of a 5. Could be they are waiting to see (as unlikely as it may be), if January looks like he will qualify. But if we can get Holyfield, slide him in at Higgins spot, still have two open schollies. Kouma and wing, wing and a PG with at least 2 to play. PG could be very skinny, unexperienced after next year. Definitely lose Tre, probably Ayo, so it's Fraizer and a Freshman/Transfer?

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/23/ncaa-basketball-graduate-transfer-tj-holyfield-five-schools/

Not sure that it has any validity, but article makes sense. Author says its between TTech and us for Holyfield. Seems to me he's already been on officials to Miami, TTech and Kansas, so shouldn't be that long. Seems like almost the perfect pick up for this system. Shoots over 40% from 3, FT% is decent over his career, in the 70s used to guarding guys a little bigger. here's hoping. Could be his decision is the hang up with Kouma being committable? Although seems to me that in spite of Kouma being listed as a 4, his play is more of a 5. Could be they are waiting to see (as unlikely as it may be), if January looks like he will qualify. But if we can get Holyfield, slide him in at Higgins spot, still have two open schollies. Kouma and wing, wing and a PG with at least 2 to play. PG could be very skinny, unexperienced after next year. Definitely lose Tre, probably Ayo, so it's Fraizer and a Freshman/Transfer?
Who are Higgins and Tre?

Need Holyfield but would like Kevin Cross also. Guessing Kuoma is January replacement but if only Holyfield we are in great shape for next year. Rest are future building blocks.

Deleted member 554798

D
Is Kentucky going positionless because Johnny Juzang a 5 Star Wing has reclassified too the 2019 class and Kentucky is expected to get him. Lot of wings headed to Lexington and only so many spots on the court.

Is Kentucky going positionless because Johnny Juzang a 5 Star Wing has reclassified too the 2019 class and Kentucky is expected to get him. Lot of wings headed to Lexington and only so many spots on the court.
Now that Khalil knows Ayo is staying and that we have signed Kofi and that we are down to the wire on Holyfield along with our stable of guards beside Ayo he has to be thinking ( hmmmmmm....... )

But you certainly don't know what a commitable offer is or isn't. Nor does anyone else here.

While true, how do you present a “non-commitable” offer?

“Yeah, we will give you a scholarship, but don’t take it yet. Someone better might come along.”

Status
Not open for further replies.