Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because one transfer didn't work out, doesn't mean all won't. Bryn Forbes was a pretty good shooter at MSU that transferred from a lower conference and ultimately made it to the NBA. Texas Tech starts two grad transfers.

That Robinson kid from DIII transferred to Michigan and was an excellent shooter. Felix from JUCO and the Dominican shot over 45% from the field this year.

Our
Alstork seemed to struggle in all aspects at Illinois. Even his FT% dropped 8%. He got over 14 shots a game at Wright State, and about 5 at Illinois. Sometimes it's tough for a volume shooter to be relegated to a role player. It certainly seemed to have an effect Mark's confidence.
Tomas is about as highly rated as a JuCo performer as Andres was a year ago. Feliz has certainly earned a major role. Maybe this guy can do the same. The Illini could certainly use someone who can knock down outside shots at decent rate. I am still hopeful that griffin will be one of those guys, but I'm losing faith that Demonte will ever develop a reliable outside shot, despite his efforts to do so.
JuCi transfer in Feliz was a big success imo.

Deleted member 643761

D
If we're using history as a guide, we need a 6'2" white guy. Andy Phillip was an All-American after all.

...I am still hopeful that griffin will be one of those guys, but I'm losing faith that Demonte will ever develop a reliable outside shot, despite his efforts to do so.

Is this because you have been involved in the offseason to see his workouts and regimen will not get the job done? Or, is it just that during the season you were not convinced that he will put in the work to improve?

Deleted member 643761

D
Is this because you have been involved in the offseason to see his workouts and regimen will not get the job done? Or, is it just that during the season you were not convinced that he will put in the work to improve?

lighten up. He said he's losing faith. and so am I. It's not because of seeing him in practice, it's because we've seen him for two years on the court.

We all want to see him turn around his offensive game. If you want to be a pollyanna go right ahead. But don't rip on someone for "losing faith" when there has been absolutely nothing to buttress any faith he might have had.

Acting like all JUCO recruits or transfers from smaller schools are similar is ridiculous.
No, it shows a complete ignorance of simple logic. If 'a' has no influence on 'b', then whatever happened to 'a', is totally irrelevant to 'b'. History may repeat itself because enough influencing variables have not changed much. That doesn't work with different basketball players.
edit: I agree with your point, but feel it is more than ridiculous. Sorry, keyboard needs cleaned.

Last edited:

I don't want to speak for EB but if I can take a stab at it I'd guess it's the 27% that DW has shot over the course of his career that isn't breeding confidence.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
If Damonte stays, I think he will follow Aaron Jordan’s path. We will see a significant jump next year but definitely his senior year.

I’ve seen it before (both in sports and the military). Some people need the right set of circumstances to feel comfortable in their role.

There are three types of leadership on the court all stemming from 3 sources of power/authority. (There are like 7 or 8 types of power I believe) Those 3 are expert power (really good/experienced b-ball players), charismatic power (natural leaders), and legitimate power (upperclassmen who are looked at to be leaders).

Damonte is not charismatic but he is a good ball player and is gaining experience. And once he becomes an upperclassmen, and specifically a senior, I think he will be way more comfortable with EVERY aspect of the game, will take on leadership roles, will be overflowing with confidence, and will have a breakout year.

He just needs that legitimate power/authority. I feel like that is why you see so many breakout years by upperclassmen and why often teams with upperclass leaders do well.

Damonte will no longer look to any players above him in a year or two and will not have the pressure to lead before he’s ready. It will simply be his turn.

That’s my theory/hope anyway.

Edit: Just realized this is in the recruiting thread. Thought it was the 2019-2020 thread. Dan, move as necessary.

Watching the tournament you can tell that we not only need a Kofi but we need 6'9'' power forward who is athletic and aggressive. I think he was trying to get that with Higgs. Underwood knows what he needs to recruit to fix this team

I don't want to speak for EB but if I can take a stab at it I'd guess it's the 27% that DW has shot over the course of his career that isn't breeding confidence.

He shot 22.5% as a freshman and 31.7% last year to get to that 27%. Most would call that improvement.

He also shot the 3 better than Griffin did last year, and that is who the original poster said he hoped would become the shooter...

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
So were Ken Norman and Marcus Griffin.

Were those players only known for their shooting prowess ahead of transferring? I severely doubt it. I believe what the debate is about here is whether strictly shooting % tends to translate. And - at least for Illinois - when we recruit transfers expecting sharpshooters, it doesn't work and they almost never have other qualities to fall back on.

Deleted member 643761

D
He shot 22.5% as a freshman and 31.7% last year to get to that 27%. Most would call that improvement.

He also shot the 3 better than Griffin did last year, and that is who the original poster said he hoped would become the shooter...

And if Griffin doesn't show a marked improvement many will lose faith that he'll become a scorer.

I understand those that want to believe that an offensive turn around is on the way for Williams. But is it really hard to understand the flip side that some people don't have much confidence that it's on the way?

Deleted member 643761

D
Were those players only known for their shooting prowess ahead of transferring? I severely doubt it. I believe what the debate is about here is whether strictly shooting % tends to translate. And - at least for Illinois - when we recruit transfers expecting sharpshooters, it doesn't work and they almost never have other qualities to fall back on.

Hadn't thought about it in terms of shooters. Legion and Cosby never showed, that's for sure.

I will say that anyone under 40% from 3 doesn't get classified as a sharpshooter for me. Solid yes, and valuable. But I tend to think that the great shooters rack up better numbers than that regularly.

For example, I just never expected Alstork to be a great shooter.

Deleted member 746381

D
Hadn't thought about it in terms of shooters. Legion and Cosby never showed, that's for sure.

I will say that anyone under 40% from 3 doesn't get classified as a sharpshooter for me. Solid yes, and valuable. But I tend to think that the great shooters rack up better numbers than that regularly.

For example, I just never expected Alstork to be a great shooter.
I wish stuff like this would get moved to the team discussion thread. Not picking on you necessarily, but I'm just pointing this out as an example.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Drexel’s 6-foot-9 Alihan Demir is transferring, source told @Stadium. Grad transfer who put up 14.8 points and 6.4 boards this past season. This one’s got high-major written all over it.

I know zero about this kid but seemed interesting...

Article in the Dallas Morning news today about Texas Tech and their theory about being the oldest team = the best team. They want junior college transfers in their program because that translates to success on the court. They will take as many as they can get. Not the right path for all teams, obviously, but it works for them.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Article in the Dallas Morning news today about Texas Tech and their theory about being the oldest team = the best team. They want junior college transfers in their program because that translates to success on the court. They will take as many as they can get. Not the right path for all teams, obviously, but it works for them.

Guess they didn't get the memo.

And if Griffin doesn't show a marked improvement many will lose faith that he'll become a scorer.

I understand those that want to believe that an offensive turn around is on the way for Williams. But is it really hard to understand the flip side that some people don't have much confidence that it's on the way?
Griffin is very athletic. I see him being a versatile scorer, not just a 3 point scorer. He just needs time to figure it out.

It appeared the flip side that he was a) improving and b) currently a better shooter than Griffin was lost on a couple posters, so I provided additional stats to provide that context. I'm not sure how that implies I didn't see their point.

Status
Not open for further replies.