Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on individual players, but isn't there a reason that high major coaches generally recruit the top 100-150 first?

Talent and they get the pick of the group...pretty easy when winning, we weren't so I wanted to show that even without that, with where we were, we faired well.

Smart kid who values a 5th year f free education? Samba and January still good is my spin.

Agreed Kouma takes Higgs, January gets in and Samba stays. Kouma redshirts and develops offense from OA.

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
Here is the Roselle Catholic vs. Our Savior Lutheran match with Bernard Kouma (full match)

Nice showing here from Kouma (pronounced Koo-mah), esp. in the 4th quarter. Looks to already be a very good FT shooter with a well-developed elbow jumper and solid touch around the rim. Quickness and mobility need some work but the foundation is there.

Did I hear him say he’d only been playing for 3 years in that video? Man, what a monster he could become!

drsmitty74

Rochester
Watching Oak hill now and you would think that with the highest rated point guard in the class and a top ten sophomore in Cam, they would know how to feed the post! They don't even look to utilize the big man. But the big man needs to fight for position and demand the ball too! A preseason with Fletch and Antigua and Kofi will be a monster!
Been away for a week or sao, so I am just now catching up, so I apologize if this has already been said, but THIS is exactly what I saw watching that game. That team seemed like an AAU season extension........all 1 on 1 offense. You could just see Kofi getting pissed because the other ball hogs wouldn't feed him. Is he going to take some work, sure, but every freshman(outside of the freaks like Zion) needs work. I for one, am excited to see this piece of the puzzle fit in.

Those of you on here that seem to see the negative side is EVERYTHING, need to ask yourself one simple question........is Kofi the kind of player you want to face for the next four years(Fernando from Maryland types)......OR..........have on our side, beating the boards and destroying rims in the Orange and Blue?

drsmitty74

Rochester
We'll take players from anywhere. And that's a very good thing.

I mean, pretty much any staff would take a "good enough" international if the kid fell into their lap. But our staff seems to excel at really beating the bushes for international prospects and sleepers. We used to talk about expanding our recruiting map beyond Illinois. Now, it's the world.
Seems like OA has had his eyes on this guy for some time. The News Gazette article had some great quotes from their head coach regarding OA. Also, seems Bernard's decision was down to us and Pittsburgh, as well as Hofstra as previously mentioned.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...another-new-york-area-big-joining-illini.html

Been away for a week or sao, so I am just now catching up, so I apologize if this has already been said, but THIS is exactly what I saw watching that game. That team seemed like an AAU season extension........all 1 on 1 offense. You could just see Kofi getting pissed because the other ball hogs wouldn't feed him. Is he going to take some work, sure, but every freshman(outside of the freaks like Zion) needs work. I for one, am excited to see this piece of the puzzle fit in.

Those of you on here that seem to see the negative side is EVERYTHING, need to ask yourself one simple question........is Kofi the kind of player you want to face for the next four years(Fernando from Maryland types)......OR..........have on our side, beating the boards and destroying rims in the Orange and Blue?

I get what you are saying but if you don't think Zion needs work you are crazy. I will admit that I don't watch any AAU games but from highlights that I see, it seems like they don't run much offense. High ball screen and if you don't get anything off that just go 1 on 1. It shows in guys when they go to college. I think it is making the transition to the NBA even harder cause all these kids want to be 1 and done. They aren't developing skills enough in college. I really want to see the success rate of the 1 and done players since the rise of AAU. I think it would be an interesting study.

Agreed Kouma takes Higgs, January gets in and Samba stays. Kouma redshirts and develops offense from OA.

I thought it was basically a foregone conclusion at this point that January is going JuCo?

Status
Not open for further replies.