Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice showing here from Kouma (pronounced Koo-mah), esp. in the 4th quarter. Looks to already be a very good FT shooter with a well-developed elbow jumper and solid touch around the rim. Quickness and mobility need some work but the foundation is there.

Footwork does need work, the touch is almost crazy as he seems to flick up some shots....Giorgi has that same kind of effortless unorthodox type of shot at times. This kid will be another great find, backup to Kofi and Kane? Kofi leaves, he becomes our next 5, already seems to fit offensively as they ran some similiar sets.

Talent and they get the pick of the group...pretty easy when winning, we weren't so I wanted to show that even without that, with where we were, we faired well.
For sure, I wasn't trying to argue, just saying that there must be some merit to the rankings, but they're definitely not infallible

Nkamhoua was named to the All tourney team for Bob Kirk Invitational. That's him to the right. Pretty elite company with Keion Brooks #12 and Isaiah Stewart of LaLu. This kid is legit and would be a great find this late in the cycle. N'Flay Dante of Sunrise (between Nkamhoua and Stewart) is also top 15 in country and a legit 6'11".

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 9.56.10 AM.png

Last edited:
Nkamhoua was named to the All tourney team for Bob Kirk Invitational. That's him to the right. Pretty elite company with Keion Brooks #12 and Isaiah Stewart of LaLu. This kid is legit and would be a great find this late in the cycle. N'Flay Dante of Sunrise (between Nkamhoua and Stewart) is also top 15 in country and a legit 6'11".

View attachment 4425
Hmmm....shirt and tie don’t seem optimal for playing basketball. Once Fletch gets him to wear a basketball uniform, sky is the limit!!!!

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Well, yeah, everyone knows the minimum requirement to apply for countrydom is 501 or more.

But seriously, I bet a visit there would be fascinating.

:) It definitely was.

Q
Agreed Kouma takes Higgs, January gets in and Samba stays. Kouma redshirts and develops offense from OA.
If this is true Holyfield is definitely out. Do not see them taking four bigs. Could also be no January or Holyfield and another unknown.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
300 ain't gonna work, but I had been of the impression that Kofi was a "generous" 6'11" listing. Clearly that's not the case.

I'm very excited to see our Large Adult Son in action

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Just saw Kofi measured at 7’0 in shoes. Weighing in at 300 with a 9’3 standing reach and a 7’6 wingspan
Just for some perspective, Isaac Haas's standing reach at the combine was 9'3.5" and his wingspan was 7'5".

I
Just seems like another project nobody else wanted.
After GB I would think some should trust our coach over some ranking service. Also, we just had the NCAa tourney and how many studs did we see that were rated in the top 150? Texas Tech had the best player in the final four that wasnt even rated in the top 300! Sure I am glad when we get a top 100 guy but that really doesnt matter to me as what a good coach and evaluator of talent thinks. I loved what I saw in GBs skill tapes. I also wonder how well foreign players are evaluated when they havent been here long.

I

After GB I would think some should trust our coach over some ranking service. Also, we just had the NCAa tourney and how many studs did we see that were rated in the top 150? Texas Tech had the best player in the final four that wasnt even rated in the top 300! Sure I am glad when we get a top 100 guy but that really doesnt matter to me as what a good coach and evaluator of talent thinks. I loved what I saw in GBs skill tapes. I also wonder how well foreign players are evaluated when they havent been here long.
BU also took Vesel and Ebo and if you would have trusted him on those two over some ranking services, you likely would have been disappointed. Giorgi, who was an absolute blessing, is one data point, and frankly, luck likely played a big a part as anything in him landing at Illinois. We were desperate for post players, because the post players we got in our desperation the year before had not panned out, and our post players who could have returned left. We needed any bodies, and he was available and in the right spot at the right time. If BU lands another low rated big who ends up vastly outplaying his rankings, I'll believe, but until then, I'll trust the rating services about as much as I trust him.

For sure, I wasn't trying to argue, just saying that there must be some merit to the rankings, but they're definitely not infallible

No argument taken....I understood the question/inquiry and I agree for most part rankings are easy if you stay within say the Top 15-25.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
The funny thing is that out of all of those 2-4 types that are on the list, how many are actually capable of guarding PFs? The 4 has secretly been almost as bad as the 1/5 spot, but we just slide our biggest 3 there, so it doesn't feel as bad. If you count Hill as a 3 (I think that was his natural position at both ends) who is the best 4 in the past 10 years?
Uhhh... Leron Black says "Hello"...

BU also took Vesel and Ebo and if you would have trusted him on those two over some ranking services, you likely would have been disappointed. Giorgi, who was an absolute blessing, is one data point, and frankly, luck likely played a big a part as anything in him landing at Illinois. We were desperate for post players, because the post players we got in our desperation the year before had not panned out, and our post players who could have returned left. We needed any bodies, and he was available and in the right spot at the right time. If BU lands another low rated big who ends up vastly outplaying his rankings, I'll believe, but until then, I'll trust the rating services about as much as I trust him.
I think you answered your own question there. Vesel and Ebo were taken in desperation. They may eventually become good players or not, but BU had no time to really screen them. This year, he has had a chance to really check them out. I trust his judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.