Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I di

I disagree. OA had seen GB for some time. This wasn't a desperation move. This was a move we see teams like WI and others make, where we sit back and think, we have to face this guy for 3 more years?......why can't we recruit players like that.............under the radar, high IQ ballplayers.
Perhaps I'm misremembering the recruitment. Didn't they spot him while recruiting Naz Reid and offer shortly thereafter? I'm pretty sure the Tribune article about him said that BU didn't know who he was when he saw him play and that was in late January of last year.

201154JC

Rockford, IL
FWIW I took the time to watch the entire Our Savior vs Roselle Catholic game. I gotta believe this is another great under the radar pick up. Bernard has great hands, a nice stroke and rebounds very well. Thought his defense was very good around the rim. He is a natural big. Plays with fluidity. Kouma, Kofi and Giori B........looks like we're back. I'm encouraged.

Perhaps I'm misremembering the recruitment. Didn't they spot him while recruiting Naz Reid and offer shortly thereafter? I'm pretty sure the Tribune article about him said that BU didn't know who he was when he saw him play and that was in late January of last year.

Wasn't the staff after Valdir Manuel, Giorgi's teammate, first?

Could well be, most of my info was just coming from the Tribune article that Shannon Ryan wrote about Giorgi. That article says BU and OA were there to watch one of Giorgi's opponents. Maybe Manuel had committed somewhere by then or otherwise fallen off the radar.

Yes and Manuel was the primary, I always thought he was a typical east coast recruit, meaning not leaving the area, and he seems to be. Giorgi was the unexpected diamond that was found.

Common theme in the tournament was rim protection. Good offensive players get to the rim despite the defense. Need protection there and two seven footers is a good start. Knew we would have a problem when opponents had two bigs vs Giorgi. Not sure how the pieces are going to fit together but have faith that there is a plan.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Just realized that the Nike Hoops summit is here in Portland (local for me). Would you all expect Kofi to get decent tick in that? Debating whether to go...

HC Illini

HC Illini
Even more curious is that UCLA job has been open for several weeks and they finally settled on Cronin from Cincy yesterday. It would be interesting to know who has been leading that recruitment, UCLA or Addidas.
Cronin to UCLA will greatly improve their situation in Miller’s recruitment. Cronin is in there pretty good with some of Miller’s people.

Kofi is up against the #4 player in the class and he is neutralizing Isaiah Stewart!

I kinda thought he got worked to be honest. He's a man-child physically but still needs to learn how to harness his size and add some agility. Mostly was bummed that he didn't have the fire to dominate whenever he was in, which was a clear contrast to Stewart. Hopefully Underwood can help with all three -- no doubt he'll be a huge contributor at some point, but this game is making me temper expectations for Year 1. If you don't get it up for a nationally televised semifinal game, I'm not convinced a Big Ten arena will suddenly change things. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Practice will certainly change with the addition of Kofi, Bernard, and maybe Antwan to Giorgi and Samba. Think that should help everyone's development including the guards ability to finish at the rim. Really expect Giorgi to lead that group and fire them up. How they fit into the chemistry and affect the defense will determine next year's success IMO.

Evan Daniels @ EvanDaniels
19h

No less than 15 coaches complained at the Final Four about how stupid this spring/summer recruiting schedule it. Rightfully so. One told me they left in the middle of the head coaches meeting explaining the changes b/c they couldn't handle the level of stupidity w/ the changes.

Brian Snow @ BSnow247
Just had a coach say this to me, "You guys get to go out and evaluate kids all the time. We only get one weekend. This is (expletive) stupid."

Last edited:
Who does Kofi compare to in the current NBA. I haven't watched a ton of his game tape, but just strictly based on build he kind of reminds me of Boogie Cousins. I have a feeling he will play more like Steven Adams. He seems like a bully on the court (which I love). Anyone seen him play more than just on highlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.