Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three-Point Play: Mick Cronin, Tre Jones, big weekend visits

Finland native
Olivier Robinson-Nkamhoua

will take his second official visit of the spring to
Illinois this weekend. Pitt is in a fine spot for him as his trip to the Oakland campus went very well last weekend. It would seem Robinson-Nkamhoua will pick between the two programs, though Tennessee is also involved.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...play-mick-cronin-tre-jones-big-weekend-visits

He would be a very good pickup, selling the 3-4 in/out type of player needed. A little Keldon Johnson type of player possibly as far as style?

Haven't seen any clips of Nkamhoua but am confused by strategy. Guess it means January is definitely out and Holyfield a question mark as doesn't seem likely to take four bigs, particularly if they are all freshmen. Holyfield would be more of an instant impact as well as giving more class balance. Maybe it's "there is a Giorgi in there somewhere". Personally I would like a Jordan Murphy clone and a GiorgiII.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746381

D
Haven't seen any clips of Nkamhoua but am confused by strategy. Guess it means January is definitely out and Holyfield a question mark as doesn't seem likely to take four bigs, particularly if they are all freshmen. Holyfield would be more of an instant impact as well as giving more class balance. Maybe it's "there is a Giorgi in there somewhere". Personally I would like a Jordan Murphy clone and a GiorgiII.
I think the staff would take both Holyfield and Robinson-Nkamhoua. The writing seems to be on the wall re: January, and it's clear Higgs is likely gone, too (medical scholarship).

Haven't seen any clips of Nkamhoua but am confused by strategy. Guess it means January is definitely out and Holyfield a question mark as doesn't seem likely to take four bigs, particularly if they are all freshmen. Holyfield would be more of an instant impact as well as giving more class balance. Maybe it's "there is a Giorgi in there somewhere".
I don't think it is that confusing, if you look at the scholarship grid we are full, so there will be attrition:
1) Higgs - reports from many sources for awhile that health issues have ended his career, here, saw a Tate link, Werner show...seems like a done deal, but suspect this is just a case of he will be missing on the roster at some point with no explanation
2) January - writing seems to be on the wall that he isn't coming, latest I heard was Piper on Werner show saying they don't expect him to qualify...maybe have a better idea next week with signing day.
3) Kane - Underwood interview on Piper show, he went to lengths to mention Griffin/Tev, no mention of Kane seemed suspicious & Werner questioned this - No real idea if he is back, I hope he is...but I think there is a risk here.

So from my perspective we are down at least 2 bigs from grid roster & we were short already...we have guards out the wazoo & are missing big wings/4/5...room for Holyfield for sure & at least 1 open scholarship for the new version of the mighty Fin....the fact he looks like a could fill a 3/4 type also gives us something down the road...for when Whitney goes 1 & done/s

So next year we have Kofi, Giorgi, maybe Kane whose is maybe more ready, and now Bernard who realistically isn't probably ready to be in the rotation...Holyfield would be a godsend at a position of need, Nkamhoua gives us another 4 for the future & lets Tev play some 3 down the road, plus gives us another option if Holyfield goes elsewhere. We still need bigs.

Last edited:
I don't think it is that confusing, if you look at the scholarship grid we are full, so there will be attrition:
1) Higgs - reports from many sources for awhile that health issues have ended his career, here, saw a Tate link, Werner show...seems like a done deal, but suspect this is just a case of he will be missing on the roster at some point with no explanation
2) January - writing seems to be on the wall that he isn't coming, latest I heard was Piper on Werner show saying they don't expect him to qualify...maybe have a better idea next week with signing day.
3) Kane - Underwood interview on Piper show, he went to lengths to mention Griffin/Tev, no mention of Kane seemed suspicious & Werner questioned this - No real idea if he is back, I hope he is...but I think there is a risk here.

So from my perspective we are down at least 2 bigs from grid roster & we were short already...we have guards out the wazoo & are missing big wings/4/5...room for Holyfield for sure & at least 1 open scholarship for the new version of the mighty Fin....the fact he looks like a could fill a 3/4 type also gives us something down the road...for when Whitney goes 1 & done/s

So next year we have Kofi, Giorgi, maybe Kane whose is maybe more ready, and now Bernard who realistically isn't probably ready to be in the rotation...Holyfield would be a godsend at a position of need, Nkamhoua gives us another 4 for the future & lets Tev play some 3 down the road, plus gives us another option if Holyfield goes elsewhere. We still need bigs.
Found a clip of Nkamhoua and he looks more like a wing than a PF. Another guy that doesn't seem to be an early option on offense but handles the ball well and made some good passes. Not a strong rebounder but a good defensive player. Much different player than Bernard but doubt if he would see much time next year. Still need Holyfield.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Nevada freshman Jordan Brown has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Former McDonald's All-American.

No idea if we would have a shot. Gotta think he may be following Musselman

I'm guessing Isaiah Moss, redshirt junior for Iowa. He'd be a great get for a 5th-year guard. IL needs shooters.
My first thought was Joe Weiskamp, lol.

How about Darrell Brown from Bradley? Seems redundant with Frazier, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.