Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtesy visit to Illinois imo

I kind of doubt it. These grad visits aren't like high school ones. They seem to be a lot more business like and not much in way of gamesmanship.

These guys have been through process and they don't need the hype, nor do they likely feel the need to save anyone's feelings.

I think (absolutely no inside knowledge) it goes something like this:

Holyfield is done for season and send out communications through back channels that he is interested in moving on and may be interested in playing for his former coach.

Official announcement is made and he gets lots of interest.

This is business decision, not emotional, so while Illinois is favorite and there is comfort with Underwood, due diligence is in order to make certain Illinois offers the best spot for final year.

I kind of doubt it. These grad visits aren't like high school ones. They seem to be a lot more business like and not much in way of gamesmanship.

These guys have been through process and they don't need the hype, nor do they likely feel the need to save anyone's feelings.

I think (absolutely no inside knowledge) it goes something like this:

Holyfield is done for season and send out communications through back channels that he is interested in moving on and may be interested in playing for his former coach.

Official announcement is made and he gets lots of interest.

This is business decision, not emotional, so while Illinois is favorite and there is comfort with Underwood, due diligence is in order to make certain Illinois offers the best spot for final year.
If it didn't come from his mouth, or fingers, it is an assumption that Illinois is the favorite.

TMC999

Not Iowa
I don't know much about his AAU preference, but any significance to the fact that you can break the four down into these two groups?

Adidas - UCLA, Louisville, ASU
Nike - Illinois

I thought UCLA just changed to either Kangaroos or Zips based on how well their coaching search went...

A big rotation of Giorgi, Kofi, and TJ would let us compete with anyone. With Samba and Bernard as deep bench with another year to develop, it looks like a plan. Actually like to see a PG as the last piece in the class. Tall athlete to learn and develop.

Last edited:

IlliniReb

Dallas-Fort Worth
It’s my understanding that TJH is heading to ILL...no idea if you guys have room or not or whatever...kid can play though...

Also heard he actually dropped a clue publicly about this...seems to be having fun with it...

Hope everyone here is doing well :)

sacraig

The desert
It’s my understanding that TJH is heading to ILL...no idea if you guys have room or not or whatever...kid can play though...

Also heard he actually dropped a clue publicly about this...seems to be having fun with it...

giphy.gif

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
IMO I think the possible Big Ten transfer Kedric is referencing to is Isaiah Moss, RS junior at Iowa who is also a Simeon grad. He said this mystery player is a 6’5” 44% 3PT shooter who’s apparently deciding between Illinois, Wisconsin or staying put. Moss shot 44% from 3 in conference this year. Illinois and Wisconsin are both a bit closer to home, and maybe he thinks other schools could give him a better platform to showcase his talent in his final year of college as a grad transfer. Just thinking out loud here. Moss transferring would be a massive blow to the Hawks (yay).

Wow. OK somebody send out the scholarship grid. I'm officially confused.

A big rotation of Giorgi, Kofi, and TJ would let us compete with anyone. With Samba and Bernard as deep bench with another year to develop, it looks like a plan. Actually like to see a PG as the last piece in the class. Tall athlete to learn and develop.
I think Giorgi, Kofi, & TJ still has some gaps for next year...Giorgi may need to grow his game a bit for the 4, I still think 20 mpg from Kofi should be the expectation, & not sure I would call TJ a big. But with all that said, with our recent history at PG, Feliz being a senior, and risk of Ayo going pro next year (or maybe still this year) then we could be short for 2020 and a PG isn't a bad idea. But personally still more worried about bigs & would take Holyfield if we can to give our young bigs a chance to develop, second choice is some shooting and a long wing that can maybe fill some stretch 4 as well.

risk of Ayo going pro next year (or maybe still this year) then we could be short for 2020 and a PG isn't a bad idea. But personally still more worried about bigs & would take Holyfield if we can to give our young bigs a chance to develop, second choice is some shooting and a long wing th
i think we can land adam miller and dj

Wow. OK somebody send out the scholarship grid. I'm officially confused.
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/For...tball-scholarship-grid-2018-2019.24484/page-5
We are officially full according to the scholarship grid...but it seems like (1) Higgs is gone, (2) January isn't going to make it (3) additionally still some speculation on Kane, (4) Ayo is generally assumed back, but there is still a risk....I'm pretty comfortable that we have 2 open spots left for next year, with a non-zero risk on a couple more.

i think we can land adam miller and dj
There is a difference in can and will. At one point on here, a lot of people thought we would have Whitney coming in this fall as well. But it is a another good point on why it might make sense on waiting until next year to add the next PG.

There is a difference in can and will. At one point on here, a lot of people thought we would have Whitney coming in this fall as well. But it is a another good point on why it might make sense on waiting until next year to add the next PG.
but blue bloods came

Status
Not open for further replies.