Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of JC have already been in contact (NW Florida, Indian Hills, Arizona Western) just to name a few.

This has been the plan for a while, just hadn't been official until a few days ago.
If Underwood & Staff were still interested, wouldn't it make sense to place him at a more "local" JUCO such as Lakeland (Mattoon), Lincoln Trail (Robinson) or Olney Central (Olney)?

Deleted member 500209

D
If Underwood & Staff were still interested, wouldn't it make sense to place him at a more "local" JUCO such as Lakeland (Mattoon), Lincoln Trail (Robinson) or Olney Central (Olney)?
With whom would you rather play the “I’ll scratch you back if you scratch mine”?

sacraig

The desert

Wouldn't you rather place him at a JUCO that you are confident will develop him maximally for when you might go back and re-recruit him once he is eligible? Wouldn't you want to send a high-quality player to a JUCO with which you want to develop a strong relationship for other future recruits? It's pretty clear that geography is not really a defining factor in Underwood's recruiting strategy.

As odd as it sounds these days, January and his mother might also be having second thoughts about playing time. He would be fighting with Kane, Kipper, and Kouma for the scraps left over from Giorgi & Kofi.

Has anyone else noticed the Illini are developing a "Special K" front court for next season?

As odd as it sounds these days, January and his mother might also be having second thoughts about playing time. He would be fighting with Kane, Kipper, and Kouma for the scraps left over from Giorgi & Kofi.

Has anyone else noticed the Illini are developing a "Special K" front court for next season?
Will this Special K help treat the Illini basketball induced depression I have been suffering from?

sacraig

The desert

Not if you stop referring to some players by their first names and others by their last and if you remove players that aren't signed yet. In that case we have 2 Ks and 2 non-Ks, plus Kipper shouldn't really be a big. He's really more of a wing when not forced to play out of positions.

Yes, I know, yada yada positionless basketball rabble rabble.

Wouldn't you rather place him at a JUCO that you are confident will develop him maximally for when you might go back and re-recruit him once he is eligible? Wouldn't you want to send a high-quality player to a JUCO with which you want to develop a strong relationship for other future recruits? It's pretty clear that geography is not really a defining factor in Underwood's recruiting strategy.
Oh i get it but I was only thinking of Marcus Griffin going to Lincoln College and Ken Norman ending up at Wabash Valley. It is 2019 and distance doesn't mean as much now as it did 20-30 years ago.

Deleted member 633632

D

Playing time was not the issue from what I'm hearing. As many have alluded to on this board before, January was all set in January and a plan was in place when he visited...

But he dropped the ball, he went AWOL, & he didn't stay on track with the guidelines that were set, in-order to be here in the fall, bottom line...

I might just also add, The Staff handled it in a very classy way and gave him every opportunity and tried to work with him to the very end but... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Morgan Park’s jet-quick junior point guard Marcus Watson picks up an offer from Illinois following the live April period. The 5-10 Watson leads the EYBL in assists this spring.
https://twitter.com/joehoopsreport/

Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Illinois - Jabri Abdur-Rahim (2020 F)
Brad Underwood watched him hit 10 threes & drop 44 vs. Mac Irvin on Saturday. Unreal shot-maker with length
https://twitter.com/DPiper247/

Deleted member 500209

D
From day 1, I was highly skeptical whether he would ever make it to our campus. Oh well. Next.
I know nothing, but it could have been chess all along. If it looks like January won’t qualify, we assist him to a top notch JUCO, we establish relationship with top notch JUCO (perhaps getting one if there players this year or soon), win/win/win.

Call me crazy, but I think BU is going to pull off a big surprise on all of us. He acted like he could barely control himself when Rob asked him about recruiting in the Kofi announcement video. But, I can’t say I would be disappointed in what we have and are expected to get. I’ll be thrilled with just Holyfield and Kofi.

January replied to my comment on Instagram about the reason he reopened his recruitment. I said he didn't qualify at Illinois. His reply was " not true" , take it for what it is, if it really is him even.

I then asked for the real reason with no reply

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but people like this make our fan base look bad with comments of this nature on recruits instagram/twitter. You should be aware. You have quite literally zero information on the matter and are telling the kid he didn’t qualify.

I apologize if I offended, I was just going off of what has been mentioned on this board about his status.
I did mention to him as a fan I would love to see him at Illinois, nothing I said to him was mean spirited.

220illini you know nothing of the person I am.
Without knowing you, asking a student athlete if they are eligible academically, can be seen negatively.

I apologize if I offended, I was just going off of what has been mentioned on this board about his status.
I did mention to him as a fan I would love to see him at Illinois, nothing I said to him was mean spirited.

220illini you know nothing of the person I am.
Yeah, not cool man. Words of encouragement on Twitter/Instagram, fine/whatever. Anything else, not cool and makes the fanbase look bad.

He's still a kid, and that's his and his family's business. Blows my mind that people think messaging kids they don't know is fine. Weird world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.