Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Kofi is not projected to be drafted so we will have see if Adam Miller will be our first one and done then.
I hope miller is "two and threw" lol. It is good to put players in the draft, but that constant Kentucky turnover is nuts every year. Its tough enough to recruit and we have a great staff, but I want some consistency. Goode would be a replacement for Miller, but I want them to play together. Keep stacking good classes, let the new players blend in with recruits from last year to sustain the momentum.

AG shot .416 from 3 last year and .304 as a frosh, so you're quite a bit high there, Ga65.
I meant to say in HS and I believe that is correct. Was trying to compare equivalent stats. Made one poster irate when I noted that TeJons frosh 3 pt % was the same as Smiths in HS. Believe HS stats will generally suffer in college and particularly the first year. However someone pointed out that Goode was playing out of position to fill a spot and that was affecting his shooting.

I meant to say in HS and I believe that is correct. Was trying to compare equivalent stats. Made one poster irate when I noted that TeJons frosh 3 pt % was the same as Smiths in HS. Believe HS stats will generally suffer in college and particularly the first year. However someone pointed out that Goode was playing out of position to fill a spot and that was affecting his shooting.
True that, they had him play PG because they didn't have a good PG, which is a lot to put on a kid. No doubt that move helps his handles & passing, so it'll benefit him/us in the long run.

The one & done worth it more than it used to be though if the immediate eligibility transfer rule happens

You have to be careful with any of those Edwardsville stats. I'm pretty sure the scorekeeper is the AD.

I gotta disagree here. For me, I do not want to become a 1-done school. I also do not think that having a 1-done system brings that many more championships. Plus, I just don't like it. Sorry, irrational, but just opinion.

I agree, on a personal level. I don't want to become Kentucky. Calipari gears his program around the expectation that he will lose his top players after a year to the NBA, and will have to re-load with highly ranked replacements. I don't find fault with him. The top college recruits now generally have both eyes on the NBA and hope/intend to leave after a season. College programs are short-term renting top players.

I don't prefer that as a matter of personal preference, but it is what it is, and I don't see it ever going back. Rather, I see it becoming fully the norm, with relaxed rules about attending college or playing overseas for a year. It would be more straightforward, for example, for the NBA to sponsor a transitional developmental league for players under a certain age. A player's participation would be decided by him and the team that drafts him. Since in most jurisdictions, 18-year-olds are considered "adults", it's hard to justify restricting their athletic and economic freedom of movement.

From a nostalgic perspective (also selfish), I miss the days of college basketball being authentically collegiate, with players staying for their college careers.

But let's be realistic. The one-and-doners aren't collegians. They are pro players in waiting, compelled to defer their careers. No meaningful D-1 program can afford to ignore reality.

I'd like to see Illinois be in the running for top talent, but not sell out fully to stacking its roster perennially with players likely to stay no more than a year. Having, say, 1-2 such players a season, complemented by solid, but not "Top 100" level talent might be a good mix (assuming the personal/relational wrinkles can be ironed out). A danger is development of a class system, with studs, not-quite studs, and fillers. That's where the relational art comes into play.

sacraig

The desert
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but how many times do we HATE when there is a prospect that we don't heavily recruit from the state of IL and then he goes to a rival team (seemingly always Mizz) and blows up every time that we play that team? Let's hope Goode brings that to the table when we play PU & IU. If it works against us...it ought to work for us...am I right?

Who from Mizzou has done that? Most of the examples I can think of played for IU, Purdue, or Wisconsin.

sacraig

The desert
You have to be careful with any of those Edwardsville stats. I'm pretty sure the scorekeeper is the AD.

Also, things may have changed under new leadership, but Edwardsville used to be just an awful, boring brand of basketball that was built around boring the opponent to death since there was no shot clock. With Waldo gone, maybe that has changed.

Javon Pickett is averaging 16.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg while shooting 14-21 from the floor and 4-5 from three in the last two in the Our last two. Funny, he’s the one in hindsight I’d like to have of the three who committed/played/etc for the Illini

Last edited:
I don't prefer that as a matter of personal preference, but it is what it is, and I don't see it ever going back. Rather, I see it becoming fully the norm, with relaxed rules about attending college or playing overseas for a year. It would be more straightforward, for example, for the NBA to sponsor a transitional developmental league for players under a certain age.

They don't have their own league just because of numbers, but the G League development program basically does this, no?

I can see things moving towards greater stratification based on those in the top 10-15 of a HS class and those outside that upper echelon. Those top kids may continue to be less and less likely to make it to college, either going overseas, going to the G league, or (if/when the NBA gets rid of the 1 year rule) going directly to the NBA. The rest of the HS class would then, presumably, go the college route. I'm hopeful this is how things shake out since it might bring back some of the purity of college bball while acknowledging new realities and setting up structures to aid the adjustment.

Deleted member 29907

D
I agree, on a personal level. I don't want to become Kentucky. Calipari gears his program around the expectation that he will lose his top players after a year to the NBA, and will have to re-load with highly ranked replacements. I don't find fault with him. The top college recruits now generally have both eyes on the NBA and hope/intend to leave after a season. College programs are short-term renting top players.

I don't prefer that as a matter of personal preference, but it is what it is, and I don't see it ever going back. Rather, I see it becoming fully the norm, with relaxed rules about attending college or playing overseas for a year. It would be more straightforward, for example, for the NBA to sponsor a transitional developmental league for players under a certain age. A player's participation would be decided by him and the team that drafts him. Since in most jurisdictions, 18-year-olds are considered "adults", it's hard to justify restricting their athletic and economic freedom of movement.

From a nostalgic perspective (also selfish), I miss the days of college basketball being authentically collegiate, with players staying for their college careers.

But let's be realistic. The one-and-doners aren't collegians. They are pro players in waiting, compelled to defer their careers. No meaningful D-1 program can afford to ignore reality.

I'd like to see Illinois be in the running for top talent, but not sell out fully to stacking its roster perennially with players likely to stay no more than a year. Having, say, 1-2 such players a season, complemented by solid, but not "Top 100" level talent might be a good mix (assuming the personal/relational wrinkles can be ironed out). A danger is development of a class system, with studs, not-quite studs, and fillers. That's where the relational art comes into play.
Will be interesting to see when the college requirement is gone - whether these types of coaches can win with 'lower level' talent.

Will be interesting to see when the college requirement is gone - whether these types of coaches can win with 'lower level' talent.
It probably won't be that interesting...

Most of those guys consistently get top 20 players because they have a track record of getting players ready for the NBA. They didn't start their careers with a roster full of NBA ready players...

KU, Duke, UK, UNC were all doing fine when HS players were allowed to jump directly to the NBA previously. Everyone will just be recruiting the 15-50 ranked players harder. The blue bloods will still be working with as good or better talent than anyone else.

Where are you getting these numbers? Are those from his two Braggin' Rights games? One game where he played one of the worst teams in the country and one where he played a team that hadn't remotely figured itself out yet? His career is 7.2 ppg and 3.6 rpg. He may end up being a really nice player as an upperclassman, but for now I don't feel like we lost out on a ton.
Precisely. Point being, he’s had his way against us in the last two. Your initial response asked who has blown up against us from Mizzou. If the dude isn’t very good but plays, and shoots insanely well against the Illini, that would be the exact definition, correct?

No we didn’t lose a ton. But, he’s been incredibly efficient against Illinois. And, it’s also a jab at the other two. I’ll be looking forward to us beating them this year. Only one I can think of in recent memory.

Last edited:
Kedric Prince Retweeted

AZ Compass Prep

Dragon

@AZCompass_Prep

·
Apr 18

Congrats to AZ Compass 6’10 F/C Unsigned Senior Eduardo Andre on his recent offers from Boston College University, University of South Florida, Illinois and Texas A&M. Andre is considered one of the top Unsigned seniors in the country

Fire

Dragon

@thegrindsession

@VerbalCommits

Deleted member 29907

D

Most of those guys consistently get top 20 players because they have a track record of getting players ready for the NBA. They didn't start their careers with a roster full of NBA ready players...

KU, Duke, UK, UNC were all doing fine when HS players were allowed to jump directly to the NBA previously. Everyone will just be recruiting the 15-50 ranked players harder. The blue bloods will still be working with as good or better talent than anyone else.
However, that was some time ago - seems more lately they've relied on pure talent. UNC struggled when they dropped. Yes, lower tide for all - but dropping the top level some means those teams with strong senior level players move a step up and will compete better.

And are they getting players ready for the NBA or are they already getting players made for the NBA? Inquiring minds want to know...

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago

Agree....but fewer one and dones for blue bloods if the Jalen Green experiment works out. Instead of re cruiting 4-5 of the 5 stars each year, Blue bloods will get more lower ranked 5 stars and 4 stars...and they are more likely to be 2 or 3 and dones.
Definitely will improve college basketball, IMO (without 20 one and dones every year)

Last edited:
Just finished watching a ton of Jaden Hardy film... the kid can play.. he reminds me of a mixture of ja morant, and malcom hill.. weird combo but the kids explosive, can shoot, good vision, and decent passer..
Really hope the staff can real him in.. that'd be a phenomenal addition ..

Status
Not open for further replies.