Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,651      
Look at the timing of The ElGeneral recruitiment. The TJL suspension and his conduct during such on the bench was not good. I did not see it but supposedly he had some unkind comments on Twitter. Finally, you will never win or for that matter be compettive in the B1G when your PG makes only 5 three pointers all year. UWMKE says it all.
Well he would have been probably third string at PG this year, so I think our PG position would make considerably more than 5 threes. And BU didn't seem to have too much of a problem with his conduct while suspended, because he didn't extend the suspension and he put him back on the court a lot after he came back. And you can look at the timing all you want, it's still not clear that BU forced TJL out and it's not clear he knew who we would get to replace TJL when he left. All that said, who knows. Maybe the staff saw all this coming and wanted Feliz. Could well be. Fact is, none of us know which of them will be better for sure, I'm just making a guess like anyone else.

And lastly, can we stop with the, look where they transferred to game? The calculus of where you can transfer to is different than where you would be able to play without transferring. TJL probably had a better year than Mark Smith did last year but look where they both ended up.

#1,653      

Deleted member 8213

D
Look at the timing of The ElGeneral recruitiment. The TJL suspension and his conduct during such on the bench was not good. I did not see it but supposedly he had some unkind comments on Twitter. Finally, you will never win or for that matter be compettive in the B1G when your PG makes only 5 three pointers all year. UWMKE says it all.

So... you are basically making assumptions and attributing them to "the staff"? Thought so.

#1,654      
That's an understatement. He has been terrible, just one NCAA appearance and one NIT in 6 years with a 45-63 conference record.
I don't think folks appreciate how bad USC was before he came in. Outside of Martin's tenure, they had all of one winning conference record over the past 20 years.

#1,655      
I don't think folks appreciate how bad USC was before he came in. Outside of Martin's tenure, they had all of one winning conference record over the past 20 years.

South Carolina is definitely a tough place to win, certainly tougher than Kansas State and definitely tougher than Illinois. Dave Odom could not do it either, but Frank Martin has not been able to turn the program around.

#1,656      
That's an understatement. He has been terrible, just one NCAA appearance and one NIT in 6 years with a 45-63 conference record.
I think that is a bit misleading without some context, record wise SC was a team in decline and had hit bottom when he took over, had last made the NIT 4 years earlier & was under .500 in each of the last 3 years before he took over. He missed post season first 3 years but slowly improved first 3 years, then NIT, followed by NCAA, & then missed last year with a team that had lost the 2 best players to NBA & 5/8 of there rotation.

#1,657      
If you're only talking about winning this year, I'd take Black over any of our recruits. I'd take Finke and Ebo over any of our bigs. I'd probably take Lucas over Feliz because of his year in the system.

Obviously the solution we all would want is a combination of the two. I was in the pro Ebo party. I would take him over any of our incoming bigs. I know not everyone feels the same, but I have a hard time imagining him on the team this year and not getting 20 minutes a game (assuming he could stay on the floor). His freshman year compares favorably to Egwu's (startlingly similar actually, slight edge to Ebo in most categories). What I wouldn't give for another Egwu right now...
Has anyone on this forum ever looked at last year's team photo? Matic and Ebo are standing next to each other there is about 2 inches different in height. Evo is not 6ft. 9

#1,658      
South Carolina is definitely a tough place to win, certainly tougher than Kansas State and definitely tougher than Illinois. Dave Odom could not do it either, but Frank Martin has not been able to turn the program around.

They may have to find a "Penny" hire themselves in order to attract/recruit/play to turn that program around.

#1,659      
Well, the Bucks could have at least gotten E.J. a Bucks shirt.:)

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 7.36.41 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.