Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone would complain of a class made up of Shannon, Timme, or Cockburn.

No sir, nobody would/should complain if that were to happen. However, 2 of those 3 are pipe dreams so I don't think anyone will have the opportunity to complain. :cool:

Oh, really? Why would UK do that? Maybe if he's still on the fence after a couple of weeks, they might give him a prod. But now? An ultimatum could easily backfire.
The timeshare salesman gambit!

(apologies to any of you who might be timeshare salespeople)

Deleted member 643761

D
I don’t understand why he’d release a top 4 after the UK visit just to commit to them without taking more visits. We shall see.

To build up drama and excitement? It's the new way. This board knows this more than any.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another visit happen before Whitneys decision.

Take another visit, then cut the list to 2, and then decide.

Remind anyone of someone else's recruitment last year??:shield:

Perhaps Calipari is pressing harder these days because Duke has seemingly finally fully embraced going after the “one and doners” and has beaten Kentucky for many of them and Calipari is getting frustrated. Time to double down on those remaining — or, at least, the remaining 5 stars.

Illini nation needs to get out and vote to take down UK!

Screenshot 2018-08-06 at 10.22.15 PM.png

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Oh, really? Why would UK do that? Maybe if he's still on the fence after a couple of weeks, they might give him a prod. But now? An ultimatum could easily backfire.

Because Cal knows the longer he waits, the more the shine of his visit wears off.

And if Cal has more top recruits in his hand, he has more to sell other top recruits.

A bird in the hand...

Honestly, you can kind of see the chess match-esque strategy going on. While I’m not a fan of Cal, I’m impressed at how he definitely played this one perfectly. Now we wait to see if it works out for him.

Last edited:

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Alexander was a different scenario. he was just an extra in a class that looked full.

As to PGs we didn't get because we were chasing others, that seems to be revisionist. We just flat out lost guys like Perrantes and Shamet to other schools that most of us felt we should have beaten for that talent. I believe it was less about not having a plan B and more about not landing the guys in plan B.
I also can't help but feel that recruits and the AAU circuit coaches figured out that Groce wasn't a tier 1 coach, either, or that he was some kind of outsider to the shoe company/AAU "process", and that this is at least part of what hindered recruiting success for plan A or B recruits.

Deleted member 29907

D
That's a bold strategy. I would be put off by that as a recruit.

"Slots are going fast" - create an environment of scarcity and pressure. I'd be put off by smarmy Cal alone, but perhaps that's just me.

Deleted member 643761

D

Isn't this a strategy that virtually every program uses? "We've got other offers out there. Depending on what they do, your spot might be gone."

It's not always that way. We pretty much told Cliff that he'd have an offer all the way through signing day. But Whitney knows that Cal's got other options at his position and that his place there might be taken. I'm not sure why any recruit would be put off by that. It's pretty much assumed by all I imagine.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
Isn't this a strategy that virtually every program uses? "We've got other offers out there. Depending on what they do, your spot might be gone."

It's not always that way. We pretty much told Cliff that he'd have an offer all the way through signing day. But Whitney knows that Cal's got other options at his position and that his place there might be taken. I'm not sure why any recruit would be put off by that. It's pretty much assumed by all I imagine.
There’s a difference between it being assumed and a coach explicitly giving a player an ultimatum. Especially at the very start of August.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Same, but I also hate it when other people dictate my timeline. (I’m a horrible person in bad traffic)

But if Cal laid on the charm to someone who doesn’t hate him and said something like,

“Khalil, we want you here young man. You’re the next big UK star. You may only be in college for one year but at UK, you’ll be a title contender and most likely a favorite to win it all. Once you do leave, you’ll make millions guaranteed if you keep up your amazing work ethic. Just look at my former players and their collective billions in guaranteed contracts!

Now, having said that, I have to be fair and allow the first person who wants to commit a position on the team. I hate rushing you as that’s not who I am but, as I’m sure you know, I can never stop recruiting otherwise I’ll fall behind. I’m bringing in another recruit in a couple weeks, and no I can’t mention who it is...NCAA rules and all that. *small chuckle*

But if you can give me your pledge and commit to me before that person gets to campus in a couple weeks, I won’t continue recruiting him. Go home, think it over for a bit and let me know, young man. I can’t wait to see you in Wildcat Blue.”

I don’t think I’d be put off by that...if I were ignorant of Cal. Especially after having an awesome, fun filled, all expenses paid, low pressure OV up to that point.

But because I do know him my above example reads more like the bad guy coach in a sports movie rather than the wholesome, charming and real person he portrays.

For some reason I feel like UK put him on the clock. “Commit soon or your spot will be gone” sort of thing.

I could throw out many scenarios, all of which are only slightly more likely than me winning the lottery, but I'll toss a wild, hair-brained idea out there:
MIF has more influence than we estimated, we've done the right things to have a seat at the table, and there's still some behind the scenes talking yet to be done.
I think that's a long shot, because if true, I don't think he'd all of a sudden be on a short timeline, or have his school list cut to 4. However, as others have said, a shorter timeline may be a blessing in disguise, especially if he's already sold on UK.
For now, I'll go with the crystal balls....

Deleted member 2050

D

If you interview for a job and an offer is extended - that offer doesn't last forever. The spot needs to be filled, and if you don't act, someone else will.

Recruiting is no different. We don't always view it as such, but this is business.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Wouldn't be surprised to see another visit happen before Whitneys decision.

Take another visit, then cut the list to 2, and then decide.

Remind anyone of someone else's recruitment last year??:shield:

Uh, where to begin? Recruits that narrowed their lists to two schools (UI was one, obviously)

Ayo Dosunmu UI vs WF
Elias Valtonen UI vs ASU
George Conditt UI vs ISU
Colin Castleton UI vs Mich.

Did I forget anyone. Almost could add Nolley as most thought he had narrowed to UI vs. VT but then he chose Georgia briefly. But I don't think anyone except Georgia took that seriously.

Deleted member 643761

D
There’s a difference between it being assumed and a coach explicitly giving a player an ultimatum. Especially at the very start of August.

I'm not sure how the term ultimatum comes in. That would be the case of "You commit now (or some date certain) or we'll pull the offer." I highly doubt that's the case.

More likely he's being told that others have offers and others are coming in for visits and that whatever number of slots they're looking to fill might be filled at some point and the offer will be gone. Whitney is not in the position of being able to demand a spot regardless of how long he holds out. (e.g. Okafor, Anthony Davis, etc.).

Whitney's not stupid. He knows the situation at Kentucky so he's well aware that they've got others with offers this year and that in future years other players that might compete with him for minutes will be coming in.

Uh, where to begin? Recruits that narrowed their lists to two schools (UI was one, obviously)

Ayo Dosunmu UI vs WF
Elias Valtonen UI vs ASU
George Conditt UI vs ISU
Colin Castleton UI vs Mich.

Did I forget anyone. Almost could add Nolley as most thought he had narrowed to UI vs. VT but then he chose Georgia briefly. But I don't think anyone except Georgia took that seriously.

THT?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The lure of UK is obvious, and KW has stated as much, but the lure of family and friends is strong too. I think it's closer than many might believe, but UK is just too strong to say no to when they are pushing that hard for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.