Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Whitney ends up at UI (and I think he will), Big Reece will go down as a legend. He's the guy that shouted out the I-L-L-I-N-I in Lexington during KW's OV.
I

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
The best news is that we should know about KW relatively soonish. If he doesn't pick us it gives us time to switch our focus. If in fact he does chose us, it should set up the class for success with him being able to help sell the team to our other top options. Either way, him deciding relatively early in the fall is the best news we can get.

Mario McKinney with top 7 soon. It will be interesting to see if we are on there (and I think we will be), because he stated at PJ that he and EJ want like to play together. But those package deals never work.:)

The biggest lure for Kentucky is their track record of one/done and high major NBA pick. Which equates to immediate financial success to a family. Can this be done at Illinois, yes. We saw it done at Oklahoma and Alabama this year. We saw it done at Washington and LSU in previous years. But Kentucky is the first and does it the best with a proven track record. There are also risk of going to Kentucky or Duke, they recruit competitive classes. They also over recruit the following year. If your plan for one and done doesn't work out you might be coming off the bench the following year.

My advice to BU is to continue to recruit Shannon, EJ, and Payton (Bloomington) hard.

Mario McKinney with top 7 soon. It will be interesting to see if we are on there (and I think we will be), because he stated at PJ that he and EJ want like to play together. But those package deals never work.:)

We might make the top 7, but McKinney is not coming here.

Would be pretty unbelievable to get KW & EJ. But realistically I don't think we will get either. Hoping I'm wrong

The lure of UK is obvious, and KW has stated as much, but the lure of family and friends is strong too. I think it's closer than many might believe, but UK is just too strong to say no to when they are pushing that hard for you.

I've always felt that if I was a talented young player what would I rather do? #1 Go to a Blue Blood like Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas and be another face in the crowd or #2 Go to a really good program which has had some down years and be known as the guy who brought the program back? Obviously, other factors are involved such as the talent level of the good program which has been down, family considerations, the education the player would receive, does he fit into the system, does he get along with/respect the coaching staff, etc. Those are my thoughts and I guess you know where I'd go.

Deleted member 649710

D
The biggest lure for Kentucky is their track record of one/done and high major NBA pick. Which equates to immediate financial success to a family.

That's a pretty big lure, especially considering that Illinois has had . . . uh . . . zero one-and-dones and only two lottery picks in 25 years. Add to that (1) perennial Final Four contender, (2) more national exposure, (3) greater fan support, (4) better facilities, (5) less rigorous academics, (6) more talented teammates . . . and I won't even "go there" regarding potential under-the-table benefits, but if they exist, I am sure they are superior. Illinois is no where close to the same league as Kentucky. Few are.

That's a pretty big lure, especially considering that Illinois has had . . . uh . . . zero one-and-dones and only two lottery picks in 25 years. Add to that (1) perennial Final Four contender, (2) more national exposure, (3) greater fan support, (4) better facilities, (5) less rigorous academics, (6) more talented teammates . . . and I won't even "go there" regarding potential under-the-table benefits, but if they exist, I am sure they are superior. Illinois is no where close to the same league as Kentucky. Few are.
Based on what little I've read, it seems that Whitney is primarily focused on getting to the NBA (as he should be, IMO). There's a lot of NBA in his final four -- UK, Oregon (which has sent six guys to the L in the past four years), Georgetown (coached by a guy on the NBA all-time top 50 list), and...us. Selfishly, I hope he's not singularly focused on the NBA.

I've always felt that if I was a talented young player what would I rather do? #1 Go to a Blue Blood like Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas and be another face in the crowd or #2 Go to a really good program which has had some down years and be known as the guy who brought the program back? Obviously, other factors are involved such as the talent level of the good program which has been down, family considerations, the education the player would receive, does he fit into the system, does he get along with/respect the coaching staff, etc. Those are my thoughts and I guess you know where I'd go.

If I recall properly, Andy, you chose to come to Illinois in 1988, the year that they went to the final four. Lou was in the midst of one of the finest runs in Illini history where he was finishing in the top tier of the conference and heading to the NCAA tourney every year. You claimed your spot in Illini lore for 'the shot' vs. Ioway in '93.

What are Sturdy and Zagoria arguing over?

Never mind. I see it’s over KW’s top 4.

Last edited:
Based on what little I've read, it seems that Whitney is primarily focused on getting to the NBA (as he should be, IMO). There's a lot of NBA in his final four -- UK, Oregon (which has sent six guys to the L in the past four years), Georgetown (coached by a guy on the NBA all-time top 50 list), and...us. Selfishly, I hope he's not singularly focused on the NBA.

Wrong. He's focused on a library sciences degree, the opportunity to do research at the Beckman Institute, and access to Chipotle.

This information is available on a super premium website, only for members.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
We made the top 10 for Quincy Guerrier along with Syracuse, Minny, Oregon, V Tech, Maryland, Creighton, Auburn, Vandy, and South Carolina.

We made the top 10 for Quincy Guerrier along with Syracuse, Minny, Oregon, V Tech, Maryland, Creighton, Auburn, Vandy, and South Carolina.

Once more proof that BU has a plan and can get interest in top players. Really can’t stress enough how much we are in more than capable hands. Loving the potential possibilities this class can be.

Mario McKinney drops his top 7: Missouri, KSU, VCU, LVille, Okl. State, Auburn, & Iowa State

Status
Not open for further replies.