Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They already have 1 player committed on the wing, not that it would mean end all be all but same position in same class?

Illini get Shannon in long run imo.

You mean a Landers Nolley type situation? Because the short term does not look good.

Considering the timing, I'll be pretty shocked if it isn't FSU. Sucks. That said, Shannon is far from a finished player. VG athleticism and finishing, but really spotty outside shooter.

FSU already has 4 wings on the roster, plus a 2019 wing commit, plus 3 or 4 guys ahead of Shannon in the ratings, so I doubt it's FSU.

EJ33

San Francisco
Piper thinks we're the leader.

I think post-Whitney the staff told him to commit now or they were moving on, so I think he's an Illini.

He's exactly the type of guy we need to land to rebuild this thing. In state, Top 100, and a plus athlete. Hope we get him.

Deleted member 643761

D
How many times are we going to say this? This staff is paid far too well to keep having to say that....
Well there are like four staffs in america that get the majority of their recruits.

illini80

Forgottonia
I have always thought he was ours if we wanted him. This gives me pause though. Would be very discouraging to miss this kid. IIRC we were his first big offer. Would be nice if that meant something other than more offers from other schools.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
We are not in any way whatsoever in the position to make that demand. We are not a recruiting powerhouse, have open scholarships and 0 commitments.

Bologna. You want to play with the big boys, you recruit like the big boys. We got a spot, we want you, but we aren't going to sit around and wait.
Why would we want to go back to Groce recruiting??

I like it. Come on down Shannon!

Deleted member 643761

D
Bologna. You want to play with the big boys, you recruit like the big boys. We got a spot, we want you, but we aren't going to sit around and wait.
Why would we want to go back to Groce recruiting??

I like it. Come on down Shannon!

Well there's a huge difference between telling a player you're done with them if they don't commit and telling a player that other offers will be made on a week.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Well there's a huge difference between telling a player you're done with them if they don't commit and telling a player that other offers will be made on a week.

The difference being that this staff has a recruiting plan vs. previously having a recruiting hope.

Deleted member 643761

D
The difference being that this staff has a recruiting plan vs. previously having a recruiting hope.

Well I'm not sure about the plan or execution. But I'm waiting to see and certainly don't need to jump off a cliff three months before signing day because we might lose a nice recruit

EJ33

San Francisco
We are not in any way whatsoever in the position to make that demand. We are not a recruiting powerhouse, have open scholarships and 0 commitments.

If you recruit like you're weak you'll stay weak. We're absolutely in a position to tell him to take the spot now or we're going to push hard on a couple other wing targets.

Piper thinks we're the leader.

I think post-Whitney the staff told him to commit now or they were moving on, so I think he's an Illini.

He's exactly the type of guy we need to land to rebuild this thing. In state, Top 100, and a plus athlete. Hope we get him.
Wait, seriously? Piper said this since the commitment tweet?

We don't have any OV's to give yet right? After Shannon who is the next realistic guy? I can't seem to find any currently.

I hope we get Guerrier but I think he's going to Oregon. Not getting Shannon Jr. with MIF and Chin would be inexcusable after we lost out on Okoro and Whitney in our own back yard.

If we don't get any more mif players, the long term role of Chin on our staff is questionable.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I hope we get Guerrier but I think he's going to Oregon. Not getting Shannon Jr. with MIF and Chin would be inexcusable after we lost out on Okoro and Whitney in our own back yard.

If we don't get any more mif players, the long term role of Chin on our staff is questionable.

Hot takes for $500, Alex.

illini80

Forgottonia
We don't have any OV's to give yet right? After Shannon who is the next realistic guy? I can't seem to find any currently.
We have 13 OV's as of August 1 from what I have read. That's 9 plus the extra 4 they just allotted. We have a ton of other wing offers out, but I don't know who they will prioritize next if we miss on Shannon.

Chin is doing infinitely better than the other 2 on staff. He should be the last guy looked at. It's sad the lack of results having given Chin 0 room for error, but dont blame him for that

Even more reason to give your best effort and cutbait. Waiting around too long is what hurt us with Grove. BU is casting a wider net and getting more players lined up. But I agree need to get our plan A and B, not the Plan E guys. Though it looks like he found some solid players late.

Status
Not open for further replies.