Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't every recruit say that? Then commit to a school early? Especially if that school is Kentucky?

In this case I sure hope that doesn't happen. But thinking it will....

It ends differently depending on the kid, but yeah, literally every recruit in the history of humanity is all gung-ho about taking every single free college visit until they actually have to go through the process. Which makes total sense. Getting wined and dined in some fun locale SOUNDS great. But, being on an official visit to a major D1 revenue sport program that you know you aren't particularly interested in would be miserable and exhausting, IMO. It's a very high-pressure environment, like a free trip to a used car salesman.

The kids who take them all are the ones who honestly don't know where they want to go. Or maybe these days those that are just beyond committed to the social media grind. Whitney doesn't seem like either to me.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Kahlil Whitney article just got published today regarding his top 8. He had some great things to say. https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/938715

Q: You have set your first official visit for Kentucky. When will that take place and why did you decide to set this visit?
A: “That visit will be taking place from August 3rd through the 5th. Me and my family sat down and talked about it and we felt we should take the official visit to Kentucky first then go to the other visits. I will be visiting other schools in the future, but I don’t want to publicize them yet.”

I think this is a battle between Illinois and Kentucky. Just like Ayo's recruitment with Illinois and Wake Forest. MIF, Ayo, and Marri doing all they can to help us out.

Awesome news. Really hoping it plays out this way.

Dan

Admin
Khristian Lander (2021 PG)
Blessed to receive a offer from Coach Underwood and the University of Illinois twitter

Nate Santos (2021 F)
‏Blessed to receive an offer from Illinois!! twitter

Illinois has offered 2019 F Kadin Shedrick of Garner Road/Holly Springs HS. twitter

Tyson Etienne
"..VCU, Seton Hall, UMass, Illinois, Cincinnati and Maryland are the main schools that are contacting me consistently"
http://www.hoopgroup.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=34600&ATCLID=211766869

When there is some substance, I'll consider it. Meanwhile, it appears to be more gas.

They indicted one of his assistants at OSU. What kind of more substance do you need?

The so called blue bloods, Duke, UK, and UNC are not currently part of the investigation. They are looking into Kansas, but so far no indictments, as opposed to OSU.

The whole notion that you can only be a good recruiting coach if you cheat is ludicrous.

Kruger is not known as a great recruiter, but he made dollar Bill.

I think you are stuck in 2003. Bill Self has had 14 straight Big 12 championships, 15 straight NCAA appearances, a national championship, 2 more Final Fours, 5 more Elite Eights, and 2 more Sweet Sixteens since then. I think we are beyond the point of questioning whether he is a good coach or not. He is already in the HOF.

Last edited:

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
From the July Recruiting thread

Here's an article about his father saying Kentucky's staff was unprofessional when he decommitted. Just thought someone might find it interesting. Maybe it will give Whitney pause. Doubtful.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...cruit-father-corey/15hrclr44wp7d16pyly8eg8suw

From reading the tea leaves - i think he decommited to play with Penny Hardaway at Memphis (which is also where James Wiseman could land - KY/Memphis - i think he's the top kid in 2019?)

sacraig

The desert
The most underrated ongoing feat in all of sports, IMO.

I'm not sure I agree. I would if he actually faced decent competition yesr in and year out. But there are a lot of mediocre teams in the Big 12 from year to year, no matter what ESPN tries to tell you.

So to me, the feat is impressive, but not unbelievable.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but out of those seasons in their streak, KU probably only had a legitimate contender to worry about in like half of them.

I think you missed the point. In 14 years, he hasn't had a single.....not one...down year where a decent team (which the Big12 has had plenty of) has sneaked in and stolen a conference title. It's astounding at any major conference as competitive as men's college basketball has become in the last 20 years.

Very obviously underrated.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but out of those seasons in their streak, KU probably only had a legitimate contender to worry about in like half of them.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to dunk on you for that one.

All rankings from final AP poll

2005: #6 Oklahoma State
2006: #9 Texas
2007: #9 Texas A&M, #11 Texas
2008: #7 Texas
2009: #7 Oklahoma, #9 Mizzou
2010: #7 Kansas State
2011: #16 Texas
2012: #3 Mizzou, #9 Baylor
2013: #12 Kansas State, #17 Oklahoma State
2014: #9 Iowa State
2015: #9 Iowa State, #13 Oklahoma, #16 Baylor
2016: #7 Oklahoma, #8 West Virginia
2017: #12 Baylor, #13 West Virginia, #16 Iowa State
2018: #14 Texas Tech, #15 West Virginia

The idea that the Big 12 is a weak conference is....wow. And all in service of some garbage third-hand Self narrative. This board's motivated reasoning seldom ceases to amaze.

Personally, I don't care what conference you are in, or how weak your opponents may or may not have been, 14 straight conference titles is a hell of an accomplishment.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The only thing more impressive than the 14 straight titles, is how quick some of the Jayhawk fanbase is to claim the end of the run is near and that Self has lost a step based on a "bad" 2 game stretch. "This is the end of the streak because Bill can't get these guys to do _____. Maybe they don't respond to his coaching anymore"

The only thing more impressive than the 14 straight titles, is how quick some of the Jayhawk fanbase is to claim the end of the run is near and that Self has lost a step based on a "bad" 2 game stretch. "This is the end of the streak because Bill can't get these guys to do _____. Maybe they don't respond to his coaching anymore"

True, no one is more guilty of underrating Self than KU fans.

Personal opinion, but I think the biggest (i.e., most difficult) coaching accomplishment in college basketball has been Brad Stevens' back-to-back runner up appearances in the NCAA title game with a team like Butler. But Jay Wright's 2 national championships in 3 years at Villanova, the entire Tom Izzo coaching career (and 21 straight NCAA appearances), and Bill Self's 14 straight B12 championships are right up there as well.

Personal opinion, but I think the biggest (i.e., most difficult) coaching accomplishment in college basketball has been Brad Stevens' back-to-back runner up appearances in the NCAA title game with a team like Butler. But Jay Wright's 2 national championships in 3 years at Villanova, the entire Tom Izzo coaching career (and 21 straight NCAA appearances), and Bill Self's 14 straight B12 championships are right up there as well.

IMHO, Bo Ryan needs to fit in there somewhere.

I always value the big sample size over the small. The Butler thing was amazing, and did in fact prove to be the work of a singular, generational coaching talent, but it was 10 games.

And as an aside, both are of course deserving Hall of Fame legends, but I don't know how a serious person could look at both resumes and say Self isn't clearly a better coach than Izzo. The conventional wisdom on those two from 4-5 years ago has taken a beating in the years since.

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL

Agreed on Brad Stevens and Jay Wright. Jay Wright muscling his way to a blue blood program is very impressive. Throw Mark Few in there as well.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
[QUOTE="Second and Chalmers, post: 1404128, member: 527609"
And as an aside, both are of course deserving Hall of Fame legends, but I don't know how a serious person could look at both resumes and say Self isn't clearly a better coach than Izzo. The conventional wisdom on those two from 4-5 years ago has taken a beating in the years since.[/QUOTE]

Man, a year ago I would have totally disagreed with this, but now I'm inclined to agree. I'm not sure exactly what's changed other than just having more respect for Self than Izzo. The biggest hurdle for me is that come March, Izzo's teams (many of those not nearly as lauded as KU's) always seem better prepared.
Maybe that's a better indication of being in the B1G vs. the Big12 and coming out so tough at the end.

I'm not sure exactly what's changed

The past 3 years Self has gone E8, E8, Final Four while Izzo has gone First Round, Second Round, Second Round, those losses to a 15 seed, and 11 seed, and a blowout at the hands of Self's Kansas.

All this with what were clearly, in my view, better, deeper more talented rosters than what Self had over the same period.

What Self got out of Frank Mason and Devonte Graham stands up there with anything Izzo, or Bo Ryan for that matter, has ever accomplished with a player.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The past 3 years Self has gone E8, E8, Final Four while Izzo has gone First Round, Second Round, Second Round, those losses to a 15 seed, and 11 seed, and a blowout at the hands of Self's Kansas.

All this with what were clearly, in my view, better, deeper more talented rosters than what Self had over the same period.

What Self got out of Frank Mason and Devonte Graham stands up there with anything Izzo, or Bo Ryan for that matter, has ever accomplished with a player.

That certainly clears it up. I admit, my attention to the tourney has been limited with our lack of recent success.

Status
Not open for further replies.