Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,102      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If the kid wants to come here and he isn't a head case (I know nothing and am acussing nothing) why wouldn't we take him? We are in no position to be turning down top 100 kids. So he committed too soon and wants to change his mind. It literally happens all the time in football and we don't shoot those kids down.

This. Needs to work hard on his shot and his non-dominant hand. But his athleticism and dawg are strong. Should be a 4 year guy, who, hopefully, really blossoms after a couple years. That said, I figure he's FSU bound (WAG).

#1,103      
Sofas too? :)

No, he very clearly meant this:
illinois-fighting-illini-first-team-microfiber-sofa_mainProductImage_FullSize.jpg

#1,106      
I'm going to put on my UI/HCBU hat and respond to this Shannon development. 1. We offered and you chose elsewhere. 2. When you chose elsewhere we marked you off our list and prioritized some other recruits. 3. Said recruits would get pissed if we came back and said, 'Hey, things have changed, forget our last conversation.' 4. We now know Shannon's commitment can't be trusted. 5. Parents obviously have a lot of pull in this recruitment. Is either parent Pro-Illini? no.... 6. This isn't a 5 star, or high 4 star recruit, can I/we (HCBU/UI) afford to look beholden to lesser recruits by jumping back into this saga? For this particular recruit, no! 7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them. I'd love to have him, but that opportunity has passed..... Next???

Granted, being a 5 star or higher 4 star, or the player playing a critical position of need, changes the dynamics quite a bit. In this case, in this situation. I pass.....

Are you suggesting we should stand on principle unless we really need the player? Teenagers make impulsive choices, so it seems to me a kid should get a 2nd chance, all things being equal.

#1,110      
As a Marine I kind of take this as an insult...
Hope not, that's not what I was going for. If I was going to compare DePaul to a branch of the service, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Coast Guard or something.

#1,111      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them.

Do we want that? I honestly don’t care if we are falling !!!-backwards into guys because their three other preferred choices ran out of rides, as long as they’re good at basketball.

#1,112      

Deleted member 2050

D
Hope not, that's not what I was going for. If I was going to compare DePaul to a branch of the service, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Coast Guard or something.
Being in the Coast Guard, I take offense to that 😅

#1,113      

Tacomallini

Washington State
If DePaul is the Coast Guard of basketball, who is the SPACE FORCE? As an aside, after a stint in the Army I tried to join the Coast Guard reserve but they told me I was too old.

#1,114      

Deleted member 2050

D
7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them. I'd love to have him, but that opportunity has passed..... Next???
This is top ten most ridiculous material.

#1,117      
I am a father and grandfather of active duty Marines, that is why I took exception to your posts. I a very proud of them and in no way can they be compared to basketball recruits.
I think that most people would agree that joining the Marines is a very big decision and one that shouldn't be made lightly (or while intoxicated). I hope that most people would also agree that choosing a college is a very big decision and one that shouldn't be made lightly (or while intoxicated). That's the sum total of how Marines and basketball players were 'compared' in my joke. It hardly seems like a reason to drop trou and pull out a ruler, to be honest with you.

#1,121      
I think they may have been going for

Head
Coach
Brad
Underwood

But if so, we need a better shorthand.

#1,122      
I think they may have been going for

Head
Coach
Brad
Underwood

But if so, we need a better shorthand.

I like BU myself. It fits.

Just like "BS" fits for Bill Self

CC for Coach Calipari as in "CC this email to World Wide Wes so we can get the funds transferred"

Cuonzo Martin...CM...as in " C'Mon man, you weren't at the high school just visiting your sister!"

#1,124      

illini80

Forgottonia
I'm going to put on my UI/HCBU hat and respond to this Shannon development. 1. We offered and you chose elsewhere. 2. When you chose elsewhere we marked you off our list and prioritized some other recruits. 3. Said recruits would get pissed if we came back and said, 'Hey, things have changed, forget our last conversation.' 4. We now know Shannon's commitment can't be trusted. 5. Parents obviously have a lot of pull in this recruitment. Is either parent Pro-Illini? no.... 6. This isn't a 5 star, or high 4 star recruit, can I/we (HCBU/UI) afford to look beholden to lesser recruits by jumping back into this saga? For this particular recruit, no! 7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them. I'd love to have him, but that opportunity has passed..... Next???

Granted, being a 5 star or higher 4 star, or the player playing a critical position of need, changes the dynamics quite a bit. In this case, in this situation. I pass.....
Maybe not at this point, but he shot up the rankings this summer. He could easily be a high 4 star if he continues to improve. I still think he would be a great 4 year player for us if we get him. Unless we have a top 50 guy ready to commit, I'd take him.

#1,125      
I only want recruits that are 5 stars and will only consider playing for UI. If they take a recruiting call from another team then pull that offer! That's how recruits will know we are tough!

We will fill up all our schollies by September once recruits realize how tough we are, and then I expect Luther Head to pay tuition for all the 5* recruits that walk on. /r

(/r for real talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.