Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,178      

From the article:

"But Illinois fans need to let this Class of 2019 recruiting class play out before being too dramatic and over-the-top on the future and fortunes of Illinois basketball and its recruiting. Dire straits is when you sign a class of Charles Jackson, Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith and follow it up a year later with a class of Richard Semrau and Brian Carlwell."

I'm all for dunking on Weber, but having said that, sign me up for a repeat of Semrau and Carlwell. I'll pass on the non-basketball related hospitalizations both guys suffered, but in terms of positions and skillsets and talent levels I would be over the moon for a duo like that.

#1,179      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
"...Illinois fans need to let this Class of 2019 recruiting class play out before being too dramatic and over-the-top on the future and fortunes of Illinois basketball and its recruiting. Dire straits is when you sign a class of Charles Jackson, Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith and follow it up a year later with a class of Richard Semrau and Brian Carlwell."

Thank you, Joe Henricksen.

#1,180      
"...Illinois fans need to let this Class of 2019 recruiting class play out before being too dramatic and over-the-top on the future and fortunes of Illinois basketball and its recruiting. Dire straits is when you sign a class of Charles Jackson, Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith and follow it up a year later with a class of Richard Semrau and Brian Carlwell."

Thank you, Joe Henricksen.

Context matters of course. Those were the classes signed in the immediate aftermath of us being one of the greatest teams in college basketball history, sending a bunch of guys to the NBA, and yada yada, and in both of those classes we didn't even fill all of our available scholarships.

But alas, if Jamar had been able to handle the booze, he and Carlwell are probably big contributors to much better teams in 07 and 08. And if we'd offered Jerel McNeal and Robbie Hummel....

Failure to parlay the Dee era into Julian Wright and Sherron Collins and Derrick Rose and Jon Scheyer is NOT the proximate cause of where we are today.

#1,181      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Context matters of course. Those were the classes signed in the immediate aftermath of us being one of the greatest teams in college basketball history, sending a bunch of guys to the NBA, and yada yada, and in both of those classes we didn't even fill all of our available scholarships.

But alas, if Jamar had been able to handle the booze, he and Carlwell are probably big contributors to much better teams in 07 and 08. And if we'd offered Jerel McNeal and Robbie Hummel....

Failure to parlay the Dee era into Julian Wright and Sherron Collins and Derrick Rose and Jon Scheyer is NOT the proximate cause of where we are today.
In isolation, those classes were bad. In context, they're even worse.

I'm not going to say that failing to land specific players led to where we are now. However, the failure to parlay a Final Four run (and nearly two decades of national relevance) into success on the recruiting trail was most certainly the cause of our regression. In hindsight, I think Weber was trying to figure out how to play the big boy recruiting game. When he eventually did, we landed guys like Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson, and Meyers Leonard who have all gone on to play high-level pro basketball. Obviously, what happened with that team's underachievement led to Weber's demise, but the talent was there.

What has directly led to where we are now was a fairly incompetent AD making a bad hire post-Weber.

#1,183      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I know from a very good source that Brunson was never seriously considering Illinois, Darius Paul or not. Sounds like Darius has salty grapes if this story is even real.

#1,184      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Yeah- it would be great to get a guy with a Kentucky, Kansas or Duke offer to stay in Illinois, but it would be tough. Miller will have the offers and I don't expect to be able to save him from the shiny NBA factories.

Hey, Mike Thorne picked us over KS and KY, IIRC. I kid, I kid

Last edited:
#1,185      

sacraig

The desert
Let's not rag on Carlwell. He was a highly regarded recruit (top 100, just outside the top 50). His career obviously didn't go the way we hoped for at least one completely avoidable and unfortunate reason, but he is the sort of recruit that ought to be our bread and butter.

#1,187      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
But of course those talents that Weber did acquire didn't fit his system or his coaching personality at all and it was completely oil and water.

Illinois lost its opportunity to sustain itself as an elite-of-the-elite program when Bill Self walked out the door. We didn't realize it at the time, but it's crystal clear now. What could have happened, what should have happened, is that Bruce Weber should have had the courage and the self-confidence to recruit the players who he both wanted and could get, and to play the kind of basketball he wanted and could get out of his players. Had he done that, we definitely could have sustained as a comfortable NCAA tournament team. Weber is an inherently dislikable character and his style of basketball is dull and ugly, so there surely would have been plenty of complaining as we settled into upper-middle-class relative mediocrity from what came before, but holy cow, can't we see how much better than would have been than the gutter we find ourselves in now?

The cause of where we are now is that Ron Guenther did almost everything wrong, Bruce Weber did almost everything wrong, Mike Thomas did almost everything wrong, John Groce did almost everything wrong, and so far Brad Underwood has done almost everything wrong. No one person pulled the trigger. Any of those previous guys could have done better, could have stopped the slide. One of them still has the chance. Let's go get back on our feet.

This is S&C hyperbole at its finest. I get where you're coming from, but I have a hard time saying that a coach that nearly won us a national championship "did almost everything wrong," though he clearly has limitations as the leader of a high-major program. It's also pretty laughable to say Underwood "has done almost everything wrong." He's had one season with subpar talent. I know it makes many uncomfortable, but clearing out the roster from a team with a culture of losing may prove to be the right decision. I'm not saying BU hasn't made mistakes (Hi THT), but the jury is still very much out, even on many of the decisions he's already made.

#1,188      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
sign me up for a repeat of Semrau and Carlwell. I'll pass on the non-basketball related hospitalizations both guys suffered, but in terms of positions and skillsets and talent levels I would be over the moon for a duo like that.

Wow, they were stiffs. Hard pass. Carlwell was ranked pretty high, but that was completely based on size. He was a stiff in HS. Way, way overrated.

#1,191      
But of course those talents that Weber did acquire didn't fit his system or his coaching personality at all and it was completely oil and water.

Illinois lost its opportunity to sustain itself as an elite-of-the-elite program when Bill Self walked out the door. We didn't realize it at the time, but it's crystal clear now. What could have happened, what should have happened, is that Bruce Weber should have had the courage and the self-confidence to recruit the players who he both wanted and could get, and to play the kind of basketball he wanted and could get out of his players. Had he done that, we definitely could have sustained as a comfortable NCAA tournament team. Weber is an inherently dislikable character and his style of basketball is dull and ugly, so there surely would have been plenty of complaining as we settled into upper-middle-class relative mediocrity from what came before, but holy cow, can't we see how much better than would have been than the gutter we find ourselves in now?

The cause of where we are now is that Ron Guenther did almost everything wrong, Bruce Weber did almost everything wrong, Mike Thomas did almost everything wrong, John Groce did almost everything wrong, and so far Brad Underwood has done almost everything wrong. No one person pulled the trigger. Any of those previous guys could have done better, could have stopped the slide. One of them still has the chance. Let's go get back on our feet.

Just inside actually. RSCI #49

In my view, that's an exaggeration on Guenther and basically just wrong on Underwood.

#1,196      
I was suprised that he didn’t commit there the first time.
Same. Once he decided to go to prep school in Florida, I had no doubt that he would end up at FSU. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a school outside of his top 4 if other area schools reach out.

#1,198      
Weber is an inherently dislikable character

??? How is he inherently dislikable? Seems like an overly antagonistic position. He is clearly respected by many of his peers in the profession, and those who knew him in the community know him to be a really good guy. Bash on his recruiting all you want, but don't stoop to baseless insults.

#1,199      

sacraig

The desert
Weber (and Guenther re: Basketball) did almost everything wrong post-Dee, I should say. Both were also a big, big part of what went right to get us to the lofty perch we were in in 2005.

Fair enough that "almost everything wrong" is probably too strong of language, I'm sure all of those guys managed to put their pants on just fine every morning, but the point is that when you look back at what we had and wonder where it's all gone wrong, you're telling an incomplete story if you don't mention all five of those names.

But like I said, four of them could have turned it around and made themselves the hero and one still might.

Guenther probably more correctly suffered from staying too long in his post and not retiring soon enough. He seems like sort of the old guard of ADs that stayed too long in an era of rapid change, and it caught up with him. He was involved in some pretty great hires (particularly on the basketball side) and then his main basketball sin was sticking with Weber long past the expiration date.

Thomas was a marketing whiz with no idea how to deal with people or judge coaching candidates. In fairness, at the time, Bollant looked like a home run and just didn't work out, but Groce and Beckman... woof.

I still don't get how you can possibly say Underwood has done almost everything wrong at this point. That statement is just beyond comprehension.

#1,200      

Deleted member 643761

D

Just inside actually. RSCI #49

Well, I might be in the minority here, but sustained mediocrity under Bruce Weber or anyone else wouldn't make me very happy. There's a part of me that's happy that Groce failed to land a couple of his PG recruits because we were able to see that he couldn't coach and now we've moved on.

I just don't know how you can say that BU has done almost everything wrong when we have two highly regarded recruits coming in and a couple of others with intriguing potential. Time and time again we've heard your complaints about Underwood, largely because he's losing style points in your book. I just want results, and on the recruiting side we got it in year one and hopefully on the court we'll get it in year two.

Status
Not open for further replies.