Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,577      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
ChRy.gif

#1,584      
Well this feels like good news. I don't know ow if it IS good news, but it feels like it.

I hope it's good news, but it's also 2 weeks later, which is 2 more weeks we have to hold our breath that he's not going to commit elsewhere before we get our chance to impress.

#1,585      
Did someone say my name?
That's awesome. Those are two quotes I have on my IPod as just audio.

I'm liking the switch for Oscar. Gives Wiseman a hurry-up to commit to Kentucky (hard to type...sounds like a cuss word). WVU still seems like team to beat, but I'm feeling hopeful. I see our impressive visit list and interest from Timme & Kofi as possible good push for Oscar. Similar case for TSJ with Liddell, of course hinging on Liddell getting past early visits.

#1,586      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Assuming the staff wasn't trying to over sign by one last fall because they didn't is the same as assuming they wanted to roll two rides over to the spring because that's what they did.

Again.....not talking about the staff. Was never ever talking about the staff. Was all about my pet peeve of posters assuming we should over sign. But the french cartoon character continues to like all of the posts that have nothing to do with what I am talking about. Oui oui.

#1,592      
I REALLY like him finishing after contact. THAT reminds me of Black. I think we might be able to use him.

I was referring to the Liddell video. That wasn't included in my reply.

Last edited:
#1,593      
Christian Braun takes an UV to KU and is offered by JHawks after open gym on Thursday.

#1,594      
The player turnover on Huggins/Martin/Underwood coaching tree rosters is consistently huge.
More than any other teams in college basketball.
Its an intentional strategy and its not a factor of "rebuilding" a roster, as if it would somehow eventually lessen or stop once the roster is set ...
People just need to get used to it and accept it as reality.
Available scholarships are never going to be a problem.
We won't need to oversign because many players will leave every year.
Every. Single. Year.

This is not a coincidence:
Huggins adds 7 (2011); 3 (2012); 7 (2013); 5 (2014); 4 (2015); 3 (2016); 5 (2017); 6 (2018) - (this does NOT include transfers ... the numbers are actually higher)
Martin adds 6 (2011); 4 (2012); 7 (2013); 4 (2014); 6 (2015); 4 (2016); 5 (2017); 5 (2018) - (this does NOT include transfers ... the numbers are actually higher)
Underwood adds 6 (2013); 6 (2014); 6 (2015); 6 (2016); 6 (2017); 8 (2018) - (this DOES include transfers)

#1,595      
The player turnover on Huggins/Martin/Underwood coaching tree rosters is consistently huge.
Its an intentional strategy and its not a factor of "rebuilding" a roster, as if it would somehow eventually lessen or stop once the roster is set ...
Every. Single. Year.

Huggins adds 7 (2011); 3 (2012); 7 (2013); 5 (2014); 4 (2015); 3 (2016); 5 (2017); 6 (2018) - (this does NOT include transfers ... the numbers are actually higher)
Martin adds 6 (2011); 4 (2012); 7 (2013); 4 (2014); 6 (2015); 4 (2016); 5 (2017); 5 (2018) - (this does NOT include transfers ... the numbers are actually higher)
Underwood adds 6 (2013); 6 (2014); 6 (2015); 6 (2016); 6 (2017); 8 (2018) - (this DOES include transfers)

Personally, not a fan of the concept. Not a good look. But, hey if you win, all's well.:thumb:

#1,596      
Personally, not a fan of the concept. Not a good look. But, hey if you win, all's well.:thumb:

I think it works in theory if you keep the top best half of your roster and circulate the bottom half each year.
That is fine.
If you aren't doing exactly that, and you end up circulating eligible guys at the top like Black, Finke instead and replace them with freshman ... then you might be getting into trouble.

#1,597      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
On the surface, I am with you. I will hold judgment and see how it plays out here. If its taking flyers on guys that fill an open spot and mutual parting of ways if it doesn't work out, that's fine. Not a fan of forcing guys out, but I am sure I would learn to live with it if we are dancing and making runs in the tournament each year.

#1,598      
Based on this, at SFA BU brought in 24 players in a 4 year period...seems like a lot. I would expect over time it may stabilize at avg 4.5 or 5 per year instead of 6 per year avg.
Every. Single. Year.

Last edited:
#1,599      

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Same concept as many corporations follow. Move up or move out. As long as you're replacing the lesser performers with better performers you're bound to improve.

I really don't care what it "looks" like as long as it's a winning strategy. People should understand it when they sign on, whether in business or basketball. If it becomes a matter of spinning your wheels just with different guys every year, then it's an issue. The key obviously is getting better people than the ones that leave and that can be problematic if you're not winning.

#1,600      
Every. Single. Year.

Players leaving every year is why you oversign.

Status
Not open for further replies.