Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,626      
Almost everyone that left would have gotten significant playing time so that's doubtful.
If this years team had all of them back and lost most of our recruits I believe we would be no better than last year.

#1,627      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If this years team had all of them back and lost most of our recruits I believe we would be no better than last year.
I disagree with that given that they would have had a full offseason and season to better learn BUs system. That and physical growth and maturity alone would have translated to more wins this season. Plus much less likely there would have been a few of those statistically improbable last second losses like we suffered last season. I'd be willing to bet we'd win at least 18 or 19 regular season games this season, even with the tougher schedule. That said, I think we can still get there with what we have, but with a higher ceiling going forward.

#1,628      

Deleted member 29907

D
Almost everyone that left would have gotten significant playing time so that's doubtful.

Kind of thinking the same thing - i think most saw decreasing time and decided to head to smoother waters:
Finke - no doubt on good minutes
Ebo ? Potential to have Kane pass him by 1/2 way through the season and then of course there is DeRosa
Matik - bench
Lucas - early yes - i am thinking a healthy DJW would overtake him and then of course time used to get Ayo up to speed - but clearly a tough call - he clearly saw his role here and decided it was not enough
Smith - his stock was steadily heading down as the season got tougher - DJW, Ayo, Feliz all more suited to B1G play

#1,630      
Kind of thinking the same thing - i think most saw decreasing time and decided to head to smoother waters:
Finke - no doubt on good minutes
Ebo ? Potential to have Kane pass him by 1/2 way through the season and then of course there is DeRosa
Matik - bench
Lucas - early yes - i am thinking a healthy DJW would overtake him and then of course time used to get Ayo up to speed - but clearly a tough call - he clearly saw his role here and decided it was not enough
Smith - his stock was steadily heading down as the season got tougher - DJW, Ayo, Feliz all more suited to B1G play
I'm not so sure about Smith. Agreed on Lucas. Completely forgot about Matic already since he was pretty much a walk-on in my mind.

#1,631      
I don't think that your definition of 'significant' is the same as some of those that left. And while yes, that isn't a statement that is true for every one of those players, I find it highly likely that some were told their minutes would likely not increase. If a player is told their minutes are not guaranteed and that they should also expect to have significant competition for minutes, that makes the decision to leave that much easier. And we should expect this to be a common occurance as long as BU is HC.
And to be honest, I think this discussion only even applies to a single player, TJL, and that is even a suspect assumption to make. Everyone else seems to have left solely by their own choice. That would include Smith and Finke. Black isn't even part of this discussion. Matic? I don't think we'll ever know the backstory there. I hope he's playing for $$$ somewhere next year.

#1,635      
I don't think that your definition of 'significant' is the same as some of those that left. And while yes, that isn't a statement that is true for every one of those players, I find it highly likely that some were told their minutes would likely not increase. If a player is told their minutes are not guaranteed and that they should also expect to have significant competition for minutes, that makes the decision to leave that much easier. And we should expect this to be a common occurance as long as BU is HC.
And to be honest, I think this discussion only even applies to a single player, TJL, and that is even a suspect assumption to make. Everyone else seems to have left solely by their own choice. That would include Smith and Finke. Black isn't even part of this discussion. Matic? I don't think we'll ever know the backstory there. I hope he's playing for $$$ somewhere next year.
Excellent points. I think our roster for next season is more talented than last. Once again, experience will be lacking, but sometime you have to take a step back to take a step forward. The only guy who could have really moved the needle for us in the win column in the upcoming season is Leron. He got his degree. I don’t believe his departure can be used as an indictment on the current coaching staff. He was leaving regardless...TJL would be what I consider a replacement level B1G player. A useable piece, but if you were expecting anything special, you would be disappointed. Smith will be interesting to watch over the next few years. Maybe he will eventually live up to the hype, but it was tough to see a future star based on his performances last season. We know what Finke is and what he will be. Ebo I was pleasantly surprised with last season, but only because I expected nothing. I fully expect the new guys to be at least what he was, which consisted of some nice cuts to the basket, but not a lot else. Matic? Well...
Good teams encourage competition. Good players leave great teams because they don’t get the run they want. Heck, Charles Matthews had to leave KU to lead a team to the final four. Transfers are gonna happen. More often than not guys leave because they are afraid of not playing. My hope is that we are experiencing turnover because guys are afraid of getting beat in scrimmages against the recruits. Only time will tell.

#1,636      
For any posters who think we will not be better this year, I submit this for a good read...

https://247sports.com/college/illin...ods-system-was-perfect-for-my-game-121213249/

Interesting points, seems Carroll was Leron Black, before Leron knew BU. Also seems that a wing that is coachable, has ability and plays with other of the same mindset along with a great PG...improve dramatically. I think this year will be telling for BU and the ILLINI with more high profile recruits to come. Show this to Shannon especially.

#1,637      
Same concept as many corporations follow. Move up or move out. As long as you're replacing the lesser performers with better performers you're bound to improve.

I really don't care what it "looks" like as long as it's a winning strategy. People should understand it when they sign on, whether in business or basketball. If it becomes a matter of spinning your wheels just with different guys every year, then it's an issue. The key obviously is getting better people than the ones that leave and that can be problematic if you're not winning.

I really disagree with this. Illinois loves to sell academics to recruits and stresses the value of a U of I degree. When kids sign on with Illinois, it shouldn't just be for a one-year tryout.

Of course some turnover is inevitable, and I really don't have an issue with a HC initially doing what it takes to get his players in the program. But if you still need to wipe half the roster after Year 4 or 5, the issue is really just poor talent evaluation. And I get Huggins and Martin work that way. But they're kind've outliers and honestly Martin has not been very successful at SCar, outside of his one NCAA run.

Hopefully we just hit on kids like Jacobs, Timme and Liddell, so this becomes a non-issue

#1,638      
and honestly Martin has not been very successful at SCar, outside of his one NCAA run.

That's an understatement. He has been terrible, just one NCAA appearance and one NIT in 6 years with a 45-63 conference record.

Last edited:
#1,639      

the national

the Front Range
That's an understatement. He has been terrible, just one NCAA appearance and one NIT in 6 years with a 45-63 conference record.

Its so bizzare to me. When he was at Kstate he did much better, just generally competing year in and year out. He went to the post season every year (4 NCAA and 1 NIT), reached 20 wins every year and never finish less than 5th in confrence.

#1,640      
If you're only talking about winning this year, I'd take Black over any of our recruits. I'd take Finke and Ebo over any of our bigs. I'd probably take Lucas over Feliz because of his year in the system.

Obviously the solution we all would want is a combination of the two. I was in the pro Ebo party. I would take him over any of our incoming bigs. I know not everyone feels the same, but I have a hard time imagining him on the team this year and not getting 20 minutes a game (assuming he could stay on the floor). His freshman year compares favorably to Egwu's (startlingly similar actually, slight edge to Ebo in most categories). What I wouldn't give for another Egwu right now...

#1,641      

Deleted member 29907

D
Same concept as many corporations follow. Move up or move out. As long as you're replacing the lesser performers with better performers you're bound to improve.

I really don't care what it "looks" like as long as it's a winning strategy. People should understand it when they sign on, whether in business or basketball. If it becomes a matter of spinning your wheels just with different guys every year, then it's an issue. The key obviously is getting better people than the ones that leave and that can be problematic if you're not winning.
Its not a good formula for college athletics - too much churn. "Some" corporations follow this, those that intend to build loyalty and deep commitment from their employees do not. I really don't want to be viewed as a team that does not care. Sure, if players self select because they want more playing time, then fine, but let's not implement forced ranking at UofI.

#1,642      
If you're only talking about winning this year, I'd take Black over any of our recruits. I'd take Finke and Ebo over any of our bigs. I'd probably take Lucas over Feliz because of his year in the system.

Obviously the solution we all would want is a combination of the two. I was in the pro Ebo party. I would take him over any of our incoming bigs. I know not everyone feels the same, but I have a hard time imagining him on the team this year and not getting 20 minutes a game (assuming he could stay on the floor). His freshman year compares favorably to Egwu's (startlingly similar actually, slight edge to Ebo in most categories). What I wouldn't give for another Egwu right now...

Staff didn't feel this way.

#1,645      

Egwu was a great defender, but he wouldn’t have been able to handle the passes coming in to him.

#1,646      

Deleted member 8213

D
Staff didn't feel this way.

How do you know that? Underwood sure talked Lucas up at the end of the year. I never saw any reason to think that he was Creaned. Maybe I missed something that leads you to say it was the staff's choice to replace him?

#1,647      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Egwu was a great defender, but he wouldn’t have been able to handle the passes coming in to him.

giphy.gif

#1,648      
How do you know that? Underwood sure talked Lucas up at the end of the year. I never saw any reason to think that he was Creaned. Maybe I missed something that leads you to say it was the staff's choice to replace him?

Look at the timing of The ElGeneral recruitiment. The TJL suspension and his conduct during such on the bench was not good. I did not see it but supposedly he had some unkind comments on Twitter. Finally, you will never win or for that matter be compettive in the B1G when your PG makes only 5 three pointers all year. UWMKE says it all.

#1,649      
I agree with the staff. As much as I liked Tejon, Feliz can at least shoot it...and shoot it well.

Being in the top 10 JUCO PG's in APG says he's a pass first guard. Very important when the team last year was near last in the B!G in assists.

#1,650      
Being in the top 10 JUCO PG's in APG says he's a pass first guard. Very important when the team last year was near last in the B!G in assists.
I knew that too. I'd say Feliz's passing skills are probably equal to Tejon, but he also gives us another option shooting too. Tejon couldn't do that....thus, should be a benefit to the program! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.