Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The biggest lure for Kentucky is their track record of one/done and high major NBA pick. Which equates to immediate financial success to a family. Can this be done at Illinois, yes. We saw it done at Oklahoma and Alabama this year. We saw it done at Washington and LSU in previous years. But Kentucky is the first and does it the best with a proven track record. There are also risk of going to Kentucky or Duke, they recruit competitive classes. They also over recruit the following year. If your plan for one and done doesn't work out you might be coming off the bench the following year.

My advice to BU is to continue to recruit Shannon, EJ, and Payton (Bloomington) hard.
We keep saying that the draw to UK is the one and done Nba track record of success. Maybe it's implied, but playing at a premier blue blood and legit shot at a Championship every year has it's perks too.

The biggest lure for Kentucky is their track record of one/done and high major NBA pick. Which equates to immediate financial success to a family. Can this be done at Illinois, yes. We saw it done at Oklahoma and Alabama this year. We saw it done at Washington and LSU in previous years. But Kentucky is the first and does it the best with a proven track record. There are also risk of going to Kentucky or Duke, they recruit competitive classes. They also over recruit the following year. If your plan for one and done doesn't work out you might be coming off the bench the following year.

My advice to BU is to continue to recruit Shannon, EJ, and Payton (Bloomington) hard.
After KWs Freshman year,....Blue bloods wont be fighting over top 10 at that point....they will be fighting over #15 to #50 recruits....and the '19 one and done candidates will have some HS competition in the draft. A watershed year is coming in '20.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We keep saying that the draw to UK is the one and done Nba track record of success. Maybe it's implied, but playing at a premier blue blood and legit shot at a Championship every year has it's perks too.

Yeah, the 6 Pack ain't exactly Wildcat Lodge. :ROFLMAO:

JJB

Chicago, IL
After KWs Freshman year,....Blue bloods wont be fighting over top 10 at that point....they will be fighting over #15 to #50 recruits....and the '19 one and done candidates will have some HS competition in the draft. A watershed year is coming in '20.

Latest scuttlebutt is that one and done will remain in place through 2021 draft and 2022 class would be first one to have HS seniors back in the pool. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24087675/nba-summer-league-rookies-buzz-news-rumors-more

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
That's a pretty big lure, especially considering that Illinois has had . . . uh . . . zero one-and-dones and only two lottery picks in 25 years. Add to that (1) perennial Final Four contender, (2) more national exposure, (3) greater fan support, (4) better facilities, (5) less rigorous academics, (6) more talented teammates . . . and I won't even "go there" regarding potential under-the-table benefits, but if they exist, I am sure they are superior. Illinois is no where close to the same league as Kentucky. Few are.

Someone needs to research guys that had legitimate, "committable" offers to Kentucky who then opted to go elsewhere, and how they fared in college and the pros. Lots of folks say that those good players will be found or will have success wherever they go, and point to stats on the McD's kids or the Top 10, but it would be more telling to see if the kids Kentucky actually pursues really do have success wherever they go.

"Kahlil, if Kentucky wants you, it just validates what we already know -- that you're very good, likely to become great, and likely to make the NBA. You don't have to go to Kentucky to achieve that. You're already on that path, and here's the data that shows it...."

Deleted member 29907

D
Someone needs to research guys that had legitimate, "committable" offers to Kentucky who then opted to go elsewhere, and how they fared in college and the pros. Lots of folks say that those good players will be found or will have success wherever they go, and point to stats on the McD's kids or the Top 10, but it would be more telling to see if the kids Kentucky actually pursues really do have success wherever they go.

"Kahlil, if Kentucky wants you, it just validates what we already know -- that you're very good, likely to become great, and likely to make the NBA. You don't have to go to Kentucky to achieve that. You're already on that path, and here's the data that shows it...."

Agree - would be nice to know. I don't think Cal is a miracle worker in development - rather - the school itself is attracting NBA talent and passing them through. Perhaps just my disdain for the individual and program, but I don't see it.

We made the top 10 for Quincy Guerrier along with Syracuse, Minny, Oregon, V Tech, Maryland, Creighton, Auburn, Vandy, and South Carolina.
Apparently also proving that for some recruits there is no home state affinity. Look at that geography!!

Where are the athletes living on campus nowadays? That is before they are in apartments.
Basketball payers have to live in 6 pack freshman year and sophomores - seniors live at West Quad (which is really nice).

This. Groce was good at ID-ing talent. And usually early, at that. But when plan A kids opted elsewhere, he failed to land the plan B/C kids and had to settle for plan D.
There were some years we didn't even have plan "D"s on the roster at 1 & 5, throw in the combination of the bad breaks/misses all coming at the 1 & 5 in Snider/Paul2.1 & 2.2, and that he inherited only 1 pg & 1 big. We just had terrible roster balance through the Groce era.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Basketball payers have to live in 6 pack freshman year and sophomores - seniors live at West Quad (which is really nice).
The 6-pack no longer exists. It's all about The Ike now.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
According to Terrence Shannon’s crystal ball chart, he just got a CB to DePaul.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I've always felt that if I was a talented young player what would I rather do? #1 Go to a Blue Blood like Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas and be another face in the crowd or #2 Go to a really good program which has had some down years and be known as the guy who brought the program back? Obviously, other factors are involved such as the talent level of the good program which has been down, family considerations, the education the player would receive, does he fit into the system, does he get along with/respect the coaching staff, etc. Those are my thoughts and I guess you know where I'd go.

I'm never going to understand this argument. If you have the talent, you can be a legend anywhere.

If you had the opportunity to be coached by Calipari, Roy Williams, or Bill Self and possibly win a national championship, you would pass that up to be coached by Brad Underwood (no offense to BU, but he doesn't have any track record) and *hopefully* bring back an Illinois program to which you have no more allegiance than you do to any other school? We care about U of I because we attended there, but before I attended Illinois, I cheered for Ohio State because my mom's family is from Ohio. Although we fantasize about it and play up the rhetoric, these kids have no allegiance to U of I just because they live here. I don't even have any allegiance to this (crappy) state, just to the University (because it's my alma mater).

This is why Illinois is fighting an uphill battle with every recruit until we're back on the national stage and have a top 25 number next to "Illinois" on the screen when we play.

According to Terrence Shannon’s crystal ball chart, he just got a CB to DePaul.

Crystal ball was given by DePaul insider. Timely given OV but not much has been discussed. Wouldn’t put too much stock in prediction until commit actually occurs.

Kentucky is Google. We're BlackBerry

This made me LOL. I don't know if it's quite that dire. The old Research in Motion status I would reserve for a school like Depaul. I was tempted to say that we're Microsoft in this example, but I think that's an argument for UCLA to make. I would call us Hewlett Packard. Good historical brand recognition with some bad acquisitions along the way and facing some headwinds. With the right leadership, we too could return to prominence!

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

Has this changed? Not that many years ago only Freshman had to live in a dorm and it didn't have to be the 6 pack. It could be any university affiliated dorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.