Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piper was on Werner show last week...his opinion IIRC was OSU, Illinois, Missouri were all about equal, but since he is a homer maybe he is overselling our chances...but he certainly didn't think OSU was a clear favorite & basically supported the race is wide open.
Piper is the biggest homer out there for Illini reporting. Its shocking how he routinely overrates Illinois' chances with anyone and everyone. And it's weird how barely anyone ever notices or calls him out on it. I have to imagine because hes tied to Werner who is as level headed as you can get. Hes somehow avoided that reputation.

A concern with OSU is that they have had some highly ranked players really not develop. To lazy to look up, but they have had some major fails especially the PF types. Different coach, but I would be concerned.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Piper was on Werner show last week...his opinion IIRC was OSU, Illinois, Missouri were all about equal, but since he is a homer maybe he is overselling our chances...but he certainly didn't think OSU was a clear favorite & basically supported the race is wide open.

Piper’s track record is horrible, to the point where I think you can take this to mean OSU has him in the bag.

Based on the lag time between his first 2 visits and his last 3 I think OSU and Missou are clearly the 2 front runners. Since we are the last visit I think we are running a distant third. I would handicap like this;
OSU - 45%
Mizzou - 45%
Illinois - 8%
KState - 1%
Wisconsin - 1%

I think he set up his visits thinking he probably won't need the last 3. But if he makes it all the way to Oct 12, we've got a chance. Doubt that happens though.

Based on the lag time between his first 2 visits and his last 3 I think OSU and Missou are clearly the 2 front runners. Since we are the last visit I think we are running a distant third. I would handicap like this;
OSU - 45%
Mizzou - 45%
Illinois - 8%
KState - 1%
Wisconsin - 1%

I think he set up his visits thinking he probably won't need the last 3. But if he makes it all the way to Oct 12, we've got a chance. Doubt that happens though.
This.....sadly.

Deleted member 654622

D
Well, October 12th should hence forth be known as EJ Liddell Day in Illinois.
I would totally agree with that EXCEPT that is my birthday and the anniversary of the rape and pillage of the natural Americas. Gonna be tough to pass it

You won't get many clicks if you've already eliminated your target audience. As for us being the last visit, if we truly are the third favorite and he escapes tOSU and Miznoz, maybe he bumps our visit date up? September 21st with a 3-0 football team under the lights against Penn State would be quite the atmosphere. One can dream.

OSU - 45%
Mizzou - 45%
Illinois - 8%
KState - 1%
Wisconsin - 1%

Drats, that is sound logic. Holding out a smidgen more hope with the possibility of Randolph coming for football and that more dirt will come out about OSU that might get him to leave Columbus uncommitted. Tweaking to Mizzou 42%, OSU 39%, Illini 11%, Wisc 7%, KState 1%. A lot of science in those numbers (knowing most of us are going to check each other's math, I hit the calculator). If we knew who team 6 was that missed the cut, the forecast would be even more fun.

In response to 2nd & Chalmers regarding 1978-1979
Steve Lanter was the point guard. Illinois was undefeated and had just beat number one Michigan State with Magic on Thursday. They are playing a very good Ohio State team on Saturday and Lanter got hurt during that game. Knee injury I believe. If Illinois wins they would be number one that Monday. Illinois looses in double overtime had no backup point guard and Illinois goes on to loses most of their remaining games.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Illini fans reaction if EJ had listed us as the first official:
"Oh man, nobody ever commits on the first official. I think if we were last that would really say something. It's always best to be able to get the final word in."

Illini fans reaction when EJ listed us as the last official:
"Oh man, nobody ever makes it to the last official. I think if we were first that would really say something. It's always best to be able to get the first word in."

In response to 2nd & Chalmers regarding 1978-1979
Steve Lanter was the point guard. Illinois was undefeated and had just beat number one Michigan State with Magic on Thursday. They are playing a very good Ohio State team on Saturday and Lanter got hurt during that game. Knee injury I believe. If Illinois wins they would be number one that Monday. Illinois looses in double overtime had no backup point guard and Illinois goes on to loses most of their remaining games.

It's a little like the 2000 Michigan game. The most Illinois moment possible, and yet, it did not stop the bright future from arriving at the end of the day.

Deleted member 186590

D
Of course only 32 teams made the tournament in Henson's early years and the B10 was allowed no more than two teams. Lou finished above .500 in each of the years that you mentioned, but one, and would likely have made the tournament in those years if the current format had been in use.
This - plus Henson was 43 when Illinois, not 53 - he had a 9 year track record as a D1 head coach, and led NM st. to a Final Four!

If we brought in a coach with Lou's track record as our head coach instead of Underwood -we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Deleted member 186590

D
These are poor results. Technically different than performance. Ever played poker (or, say, existed in life)? You can do everything perfectly and still have bad results.

I think that's what a lot of people are missing here. Or maybe having the wrong conversation. Based purely on results, it's pretty disappointing, but do you think they are doing the right things, taking the right steps? Reasonable people can disagree on that (and I'm sure we all will), but I think we need to change the framing of the discussion...

You are correct, they are different. You can have a good poker strategy, take the right line in a hand given your position, board texture and someone sucks out on the river on you - yes, that is poor results with good performance due to bad luck. But, if you played 32, two hour sessions over the course of a season, you would have to have a lot of blind spots to think you are a great poker player if you had poor results and you were losing in the same ways a lot of the time. At some point results have to show.

My criticism of BU's performance can be tied to late game strategies, his perception going into the season that we were "good with what we have" and "you guys are a lot more concerned with size than I am" then to see the team get hammered on the boards with an inability to defend the paint. That wasn't bad luck, that was a coach in over his head not knowing what it takes to compete in the big ten. Maybe his strategies and recruiting approach worked at SF Austin, but they aren't working in the Big Ten. Hopefully he'll adjust, good coaches do - but the jury is still out. Whitman is obviously not going to fire him, given his contract and admission of a hiring mistake. But it would be foolish to think Whitman is not questioning whether he made the right hire or not at this point.

"Oh man, nobody ever commits on the first official. I think if we were last that would really say something. It's always best to be able to get the final word in."

"Oh man, nobody ever makes it to the last official. I think if we were first that would really say something. It's always best to be able to get the first word in."
And if we were in the middle, we are clearly the forgotten middle child. No significance.

OSU - 45%
Mizzou - 45%
Illinois - 8%
KState - 1%
Wisconsin - 1%

Maybe some of you all forgot what it’s like to be a senior in high school, but I think it’s more likely he has school functions or even family functions between the Mizzou and K State visits.

Also: If you’re having EJ visit us, someone here tell me a better weekend than homecoming.

Liddell’s have been here enough on their own dime, I think they’d want to get treated for all the effort and time they’ve already put in here. People complain about “wasting” OVs in guys that don’t come here. Liddell is a guy that you give an OV to in any circumstance (besides already being committed somewhere).

Last edited:

Deleted member 643761

D
Maybe some of you all forgot what it’s like to be a senior in high school, but I think it’s more likely he has school functions or even family functions between the Mizzou and K State visits.

Also: If you’re having EJ visit us, someone here tell me a better weekend than homecoming.

Liddell’s have been here enough on their own dime, I think they’d want to get treated for all the effort and time they’ve already put in here. People complain about “wasting” OVs in guys that don’t come here. Liddell is a guy that you give an OV to in any circumstance (besides already being committed somewhere).

I think a better weekend is earlier.

I think a home football game is good, but even that probably isn't critical. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make a decision prior to our scheduled visit.

Deleted member 643761

D

I rarely hear anyone say the first, although I'm sure some have. I think many say that last, because, isn't it generally true? Can you name a guy who committed to his fifth visited school?

Deleted member 643761

D
You are correct, they are different. You can have a good poker strategy, take the right line in a hand given your position, board texture and someone sucks out on the river on you - yes, that is poor results with good performance due to bad luck. But, if you played 32, two hour sessions over the course of a season, you would have to have a lot of blind spots to think you are a great poker player if you had poor results and you were losing in the same ways a lot of the time. At some point results have to show.

My criticism of BU's performance can be tied to late game strategies, his perception going into the season that we were "good with what we have" and "you guys are a lot more concerned with size than I am" then to see the team get hammered on the boards with an inability to defend the paint. That wasn't bad luck, that was a coach in over his head not knowing what it takes to compete in the big ten. Maybe his strategies and recruiting approach worked at SF Austin, but they aren't working in the Big Ten. Hopefully he'll adjust, good coaches do - but the jury is still out. Whitman is obviously not going to fire him, given his contract and admission of a hiring mistake. But it would be foolish to think Whitman is not questioning whether he made the right hire or not at this point.

You realize coaches spin for the media, don't you? He should have told us all he expected to win five games and you'd be doing cartwheels over us over achieving.

Piper’s track record is horrible, to the point where I think you can take this to mean OSU has him in the bag.
I agree with the sentiment, however he also says Mizzou is as good of a shot as OSU, & seemed to think KSU wasn't out of it...just not sure his color blindness applies to him seeing Lidell as a yet to be determined.

#1,000      
Our starting PG, Steve Lanter, went down with a season ending knee injury. While Lanter wasn't all-conference good, he was good. Perhaps more importantly, there was quite a gulf between Lanter and his backups (Bontemps primarily, IIRC). That team was VG, but wasn't able to overcome the loss of Lanter. The B10 was stacked back then.
Bontemps wasn't on the '78-'79 team. He was as freshman on the '79-'80 team. You had Judson, who was a shooting guard and Perry Range, freshman combo guard, and I am thinking Larry Lubin was the backup PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.