Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,526      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Just trying to understand the process - haven't followed it that close before.

Don't worry. It's only a small group of over-zealous posters here who scream for 4 recruits when we have 3 ships open. Same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall. Most staffs will only sign to their obvious open scholarships unless they are a Kentucky or Duke type.

#1,527      
Don't worry. It's only a small group of over-zealous posters here who scream for 4 recruits when we have 3 ships open. Same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall. Most staffs will only sign to their obvious open scholarships unless they are a Kentucky or Duke type.

Not true. We had 3 open scholarships in the Fall last year when we just signed Ayo, so your insinuation that we had no other scholarships available last Fall is simply wrong.

#1,528      

Deleted member 643761

D
Not true. We had 3 open scholarships in the Fall last year when we just signed Ayo, so your insinuation that we had no other scholarships available last Fall is simply wrong.
I didn't take it that way. I think he was pointing out the seemingly perpetual hand wringing over a problem that never materializes

#1,529      
I didn't take it that way. I think he was pointing out the seemingly perpetual hand wringing over a problem that never materializes

It is not a general statement when one says "same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall" when talking about posters wanting to sign more than available scholarships. It is a specific statement. Reality is that we had 3 available scholarships and we whiffed on many recruits. I do not believe that any poster was upset last Fall of not signing more players than scholarships, but people were upset of the many misses on available scholarships. That is reality.

#1,530      

illini80

Forgottonia
I'd be happy with either, or both. With respect to Jacobs, I mean, let's get weird, right? This is a team that thrives on disruption at both ends of the court, and he's a guy who's got unusual abilities that will be a pain to prepare for. If he winds up being nothing more than a change-up, it'll be worth it.

As for whether or not we'll have the room, I think we'll have the room. Odds are pretty good that we'll have four or five rides this year, just because. You can burn one on a guy like Jacobs.
Underwood has said he wants players that can do different things. Jacobs seems to be the definition of that.

#1,531      

Deleted member 643761

D
It is not a general statement when one says "same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall" when talking about posters wanting to sign more than available scholarships. It is a specific statement. Reality is that we had 3 available scholarships and we whiffed on many recruits. I do not believe that any poster was upset last Fall of not signing more players than scholarships, but people were upset of the many misses on available scholarships. That is reality.

Well he can speak for himself. But it is true that some posters talked about oversigning and it is true it was a moot point.

And of course it's true people wanted to fill scholarships. I'm not sure why you believe your true statement conflicts with his true statement.

As I joked a couple weeks ago its never too early on this board to talk about running out of scholarships.

#1,532      
Well he can speak for himself. But it is true that some posters talked about oversigning and it is true it was a moot point.

And of course it's true people wanted to fill scholarships. I'm not sure why you believe your true statement conflicts with his true statement.

As I joked a couple weeks ago its never too early on this board to talk about running out of scholarships.

Again, there was not a single poster last Fall (with respect to Ayo) that complained about not oversigning. Not a single one, so the bolded statement (i.e., "same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall") has zero validity. The views on oversigning indeed differ, but the statement on Ayo (the reason I bolded it) has zero relevance. What does Ayo have to do with it? Please explain.

The only relevance would be an insinuation that last year we signed Ayo and people wanted to oversign when we had no scholarships (which further goes into the rest of post, i.e., we are not Dule or Kentucky). While more scholarships were obviously created in the Spring (with the transfers), the Fall scholarships were not used. When 2 of the available 3 scholarships were not used, what does the Ayo situation last fall has anything to do with oversigning topic again?

#1,533      

Deleted member 643761

D
Again, there was not a single poster last Fall (with respect to Ayo) that complained about not oversigning. Not a single one, so the bolded statement (i.e., "same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall") has zero validity. The views on oversigning indeed differ, but the statement on Ayo (the reason I bolded it) has zero relevance. What does Ayo have to do with it? Please explain.

The only relevance would be an insinuation that last year we signed Ayo and people wanted to oversign when we had no scholarships (which further goes into the rest of post, i.e., we are not Dule or Kentucky). While more scholarships were obviously created in the Spring (with the transfers), the Fall scholarships were not used. When 2 of the available 3 scholarships were not used, what does the Ayo situation last fall has anything to do with oversigning topic again?

Well he never said that anyone complained. So you're putting words in his mouth.

Each signing season there are people who dream of things going so well that we should over sign and dump the thirteenth guy on the roster. And it never is an issue.

What does ayo have to do with it? He was the entirety of our fall class thus obviously there was no issue with over signing.

#1,534      
Well he never said that anyone complained. So you're putting words in his mouth.

Huh? The statement made was "a small group of over-zealous posters here who scream for 4 recruits when we have 3 ships open. Same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall. "

What does ayo have to do with it? He was the entirety of our fall class thus obviously there was no issue with over signing.

You continue to argue with my about my response that specifically says (contrary to the original post) that Ayo has absolutely nothing to do with oversigning, and it was not the "same thing last year" and now you say yourself that the Ayo situation last year had nothing to do with oversigning (which is exactly my post). You are making no sense.

Last edited:
#1,535      
Anybody know how Jacobs is defensively? I'm on him if he isn't a liability on that end of the floor

As I mentioned in the past I coached against Jacobs in the 2nd round of the IHSA playoffs they won 81-57 a player of his caliber should have beat us by 50 points easily. My players gave a hell of an effort but they're future accountants and lawyers their basketball careers ended that night. So to say the least I wasnt overly impressed at his effort on that end of the floor.

#1,536      

Deleted member 4333

D
Huh? The statement made was "a small group of over-zealous posters here who scream for 4 recruits when we have 3 ships open. Same thing last year, and we end up with only Ayo in the fall. "

You continue to argue with my about my response that specifically says (contrary to the original post) that Ayo has absolutely nothing to do with oversigning, and it was not the "same thing last year" and now you say yourself that the Ayo situation last year had nothing to do with oversigning (which is exactly my post). You are making no sense.

:popcorn:

#1,537      

foby

Bonnaroo Land

Wow. Did you even bother reading my post or the posts that led to it?? There were definitely posters calling for 4 SIGNEES last fall when we had only 3 SCHOLARSHIPS open. SAME THING THIS YEAR. There are posters calling for 4 signees with only 3 scholarships open. Citing the Ayo result was just emphasizing that those zealots wanting 4 were way off base regardless.

#1,538      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I think that was more of we will offer Ervin Small to make sure we get Nick as opposed to a true duo, but, then again, maybe that's just semantics.

Ervin and Nick are Jewish? :noidea:

#1,540      
Citing the Ayo result was just emphasizing that those zealots wanting 4 were way off base regardless.

Wanting 4 recruits is not off base at all, especially in a program that is in transition like Illinois. Fall recruiting is the cornerstone of successful recruiting . What was off base was our inability to actually sign recruits and ending up with 2 out of 3 scholarships unused.

#1,542      
Board seems a little testy and on edge...or is it just me? I think we need a Fletch video (the trainer Fletch,..but the movie is good too.)

#1,543      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Board seems a little testy and on edge...or is it just me? I think we need a Fletch video (the trainer Fletch,..but the movie is good too.)

I just think it's funny that someone can state "the few on the board" then those "few" sure enough just pop up with a brick wall defense. Guilty conscience maybe? Negative vibes are aware they are sending out negative vibes it seems.

#1,545      
Dan, any chance you can create a thread with helpful suggestions for the coaching staff? I'd hate to think that they'd have to sift through an entire thread to get great tips and advice on recruiting.

Thread? Isn't that the sole purpose of this entire board? ;)

#1,546      

Deleted member 2050

D
Me: *scrolls through yesterday's posts*

Also me:
giphy (1).gif

#1,549      
Did someone say my name?
Reminder; Anthony Higgs 6' 8" approx. 215 lb. 7' 2" wingspan.
The 86" wingspan gives him a huge advantage shooting, rebounding, defending and
is very athletic. The above allows Higgs to play the 3-4-5 spots although he would be best suited
as a SF or stretch 4. Having along wingspan is arguably the biggest advantage anyone can have
in the sport of basketball.
NOTE: Scottie Pippen had a wingspan of 87" - 7' 3"

#1,550      
Wow. Did you even bother reading my post or the posts that led to it?? There were definitely posters calling for 4 SIGNEES last fall when we had only 3 SCHOLARSHIPS open. SAME THING THIS YEAR. There are posters calling for 4 signees with only 3 scholarships open. Citing the Ayo result was just emphasizing that those zealots wanting 4 were way off base regardless.

I'm lost. How were they off? Ayo only fills one scholarship and due to transfers we had to fill a lot more scholarships in the spring.

Oversigning by 1 is very common and would have been a good choice for IL last year given the high likelihood of at least one player transferring out. Similarly, oversigning this fall would be good because no way the entire freshman class comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.