Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,551      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I'm lost. How were they off?

Pretty dang simple. They were going crazy filling in lists for 4 recruits signed in the fall. We signed Ayo. It isn't rocket surgery.

And if oversigning by one is so very common, you should be able to give a long list of examples. Or somebody should. Will wait patiently for that.

#1,552      
I'm lost. How were they off? Ayo only fills one scholarship and due to transfers we had to fill a lot more scholarships in the spring.

Oversigning by 1 is very common and would have been a good choice for IL last year given the high likelihood of at least one player transferring out. Similarly, oversigning this fall would be good because no way the entire freshman class comes back.

I agree, wanting to sign 4 players (oversigning by 1) is definitely not unreasonable or way off, especially for a program in transition like Illinois where attrition is expected. Same with this year. What was way off was our inability to close on players last fall, leaving 2 of the available 3 scholarships open, which made problems worse with greater than expected attrition in the Spring. Fall recruiting is the cornerstone of successful recruiting and we need to capitalize with talent. Same last year, same this year (with even more urgency). We need a very good 2019 fall recruiting class.

#1,553      
Pretty dang simple. They were going crazy filling in lists for 4 recruits signed in the fall. We signed Ayo. It isn't rocket surgery.

And if oversigning by one is so very common, you should be able to give a long list of examples. Or somebody should. Will wait patiently for that.

And how does signing Ayo, 1 player, negate the other 2 open scholarships? Or, in your opinion, does signing Ayo completely negate the mishandling of rest of the roster spots?

Buzz Williams oversigns, Patino was famous for it, a type of it is named for Crean. I believe NW has even done it (or cut it so close that everyone knew what happened).

#1,554      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
And how does signing Ayo, 1 player, negate the other 2 open scholarships? Or, in your opinion, does signing Ayo completely negate the mishandling of rest of the roster spots?

Buzz Williams oversigns, Patino was famous for it, a type of it is named for Crean. I believe NW has even done it (or cut it so close that everyone knew what happened).

Where did I say it negated scholarships? lol - It negated the list making of all of those who thought we would sign 4 last fall. And for all of those already making lists of 4 this fall........maybe they should hope we sign a solid 3 before adding that 4th. ;)

#1,556      
Where did I say it negated scholarships? lol - It negated the list making of all of those who thought we would sign 4 last fall. And for all of those already making lists of 4 this fall........maybe they should hope we sign a solid 3 before adding that 4th. ;)

and maybe we shouldn't stop after one...

#1,558      

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL

Being that most programs lose around 1 player a year, planning to oversign makes a lot of sense.

#1,561      

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Reminder; Anthony Higgs 6' 8" approx. 215 lb. 7' 2" wingspan.
The 86" wingspan gives him a huge advantage shooting, rebounding, defending and
is very athletic. The above allows Higgs to play the 3-4-5 spots although he would be best suited
as a SF or stretch 4. Having along wingspan is arguably the biggest advantage anyone can have
in the sport of basketball.
NOTE: Scottie Pippen had a wingspan of 87" - 7' 3"

215? More like 251.

#1,562      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Being that most programs lose around 1 player a year, planning to oversign makes a lot of sense.

Posters or coaches? I'm sure the coaches are just trying to fill out the 3 available scholarships. And if a 4th player that you could not say no to (such as in a miracle, KW decides to flip to UI) decided to sign, they would take that case as it comes along.

#1,566      
Higgs is only 215 lb. You may be thinking of Adonis De La Rosa he is 250 - 260 lbs
On July 31, Underwood told the media that Higgs was a "6'7" to 6'8", 230-235 pound guy". I suspect that did not include his "belly roll" that was quite evident in the party given to him before heading to Illinois. I know other sites show him at 215, but if you saw pictures of him at that party, you would understand CoalCity's comments.

#1,567      
Reminder; Anthony Higgs 6' 8" approx. 215 lb. 7' 2" wingspan.
The 86" wingspan gives him a huge advantage shooting, rebounding, defending and
is very athletic. The above allows Higgs to play the 3-4-5 spots although he would be best suited
as a SF or stretch 4. Having along wingspan is arguably the biggest advantage anyone can have
in the sport of basketball.
NOTE: Scottie Pippen had a wingspan of 87" - 7' 3"
Hopefully he'll be a poor man's version of OG from Indiana down the road once he gets back into shape.

#1,569      
Wow. Did you even bother reading my post or the posts that led to it?? There were definitely posters calling for 4 SIGNEES last fall when we had only 3 SCHOLARSHIPS open. SAME THING THIS YEAR. There are posters calling for 4 signees with only 3 scholarships open. Citing the Ayo result was just emphasizing that those zealots wanting 4 were way off base regardless.

Assuming the staff wasn't trying to over sign by one last fall because they didn't is the same as assuming they wanted to roll two rides over to the spring because that's what they did.

#1,571      
As far as oversigning, Groce was ready to oversign by not only one (Quentin Snider) but two (Cliff) that Fall and no one, I mean no one, had a problem if that had materialized. Actually, everybody wanted that. Beilein decided to not renew the scholarship of Max Bielfeldt, Spike Albrecht, Dakich and encouraged them to find other places in order to use their scholarships elsewhere and I do not think people mention that as something negative in their view of Beilein.

I am not a huge fan of oversigning myself, but given the attrition in programs in transition (like Illinois), I am not against it. I actually believe that the mass unexpected exodus this Spring had more of a negative effect (PR-wise) rather than any attempt to oversign would have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.