Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
Because begging for props on a message board isn't soft at all. You are talking about high school kids my friend...ole softie.

giphy.gif

It's hard to imagine staff even recruiting a soft player. You'd have to bank on being able to toughen him up, or seems like he'd wash out.

I'm not comparing Kalkbrenner to Kouma. Even if Kalkbrenner plays well enough that Kouma doesn't get a single minute, there are probably only ~12 minutes for Ryan in 2020.

Now that's fine for his freshmen year, but Kofi is probably still going to be there in 2021 and maybe even 2022 and that means Kalkbrenner's minutes are limited his 2nd and maybe 3rd seasons as well. I don't see Kofi being a 1-2 year player despite the hype. I could maybe buy 3 years and then NBA or more likely Europe. I'd love to be proven wrong here but I doubt Kalkbrenner is going to base his decision on the pipe dream of Kofi leaving in just 2 years.

I think the flaw in your thinking is that Giorgi and Kofi will play 28 mins/game. Wood doesn't want that. More like 25 mins/game, which opens up another 6 minutes/game for Kalk.

I think the flaw in your thinking is that Giorgi and Kofi will play 28 mins/game. Wood doesn't want that. More like 25 mins/game, which opens up another 6 minutes/game for Kalk.

Even if Kofi is at 25 and not 28, that’s still only 15 for Ryan. Only 3 additional minutes, not 6, since he won’t be playing at the 4 at all.

Ultimately if he's good they'll find PT for him. Depending upon match-ups, if two bigs are in for the opponent, he may play alongside Kofi when Giorgi is out.
Kalkbrenner appears to be a guy who can earn minutes from the get go. He’s someone who has been playing high level competition and more than holding his own. Why should he worried about playing time?

Kalkbrenner appears to be a guy who can earn minutes from the get go. He’s someone who has been playing high level competition and more than holding his own. Why should he worried about playing time?

True.

Besides, what if he opts for say Purdue and in his year 2 Purdue recruits over him? After all, Purdue has produced very good centers and should be able to attract really good talent at that spot - if the analysis is right.

I think OA is a bigger part of the equation than playing time. But, that does not mean PT is not an issue.

Look at Blackshear. He could have picked any team and probably played 30 minutes per game but he went to a Florida where his contribution was both needed and his role was guaranteed. I think it’s realistic to think that Kalkbrenner will want to standout like that wherever he ends up as well.

Starting to sound like a true Insider. Are you an Insider?

Be very careful. You should know the risks here. Do you run a barbershop? Are you affiliated with an AAU program? Does your last name start with the letter "Irvin"?

This board is littered with the bones of Insiders. (Until they change their IDs)

This was exceptionally funny and well written. Didn't exactly make my day, but it certainly dominated the last 15 or 20 minutes. Thank you.

Look at Blackshear. He could have picked any team and probably played 30 minutes per game but he went to a Florida where his contribution was both needed and his role was guaranteed. I think it’s realistic to think that Kalkbrenner will want to standout like that wherever he ends up as well.

Except Blackshear is/was a proven commodity with suitors wanting that output that they KNOW will be there day one, Kalkbrenner will have suitors anticipating the output, but it is not a given going into college. Blackshear is a man, Kalkbrenner is still and will still be a boy at that point. Kalkbrenner to me seems like another Tisdale to me in all seriousness. His frame is not B1G at all and I am not sure that it would ever be really? Brad Lohaus maybe?

lol

Kalkbrenner put up serious numbers for a top EYBL team. Am not suggesting he's an early entry candidate, but he's far better than Tisdale was.

I’m not sure I see any commonalities between the 2 aside from both being tall skinny and white. Maybe they have the same eye color?

I believe Kalkbrenner can get minutes right away for the simple fact that he is great defensively. Give him a year or 2 to get his offense down but I believe he will be a solid player if come to the Illini

lol

Kalkbrenner put up serious numbers for a top EYBL team. Am not suggesting he's an early entry candidate, but he's far better than Tisdale was.

Early entry candidate for Don't Believe the Hype...Tisdale considering we all wanted more, finished 2nd in career blocks, 25th in scoring, and tied for most games played. We should all hope if we get this kid he truly is "far better" than Tisdale. I wasn't a big Tisdale fan either, btw.

I’m not sure I see any commonalities between the 2 aside from both being tall skinny and white. Maybe they have the same eye color?

It's not always just black and white...but it easy to read it that way most often?

lol

Maybe he is far better than Tisdale was in HS but Tisdale was pretty darn good.

sacraig

The desert
Early entry candidate for Don't Believe the Hype...Tisdale considering we all wanted more, finished 2nd in career blocks, 25th in scoring, and tied for most games played. We should all hope if we get this kid he truly is "far better" than Tisdale. I wasn't a big Tisdale fan either, btw.

Tisdale was a good player. He was just missing a few pounds of muscle and a killer instinct to make him a great player.

Tisdale was a good player. He was just missing a few pounds of muscle and a killer instinct to make him a great player.

I agree, thus from limited highlights, not sure this kid has either as well. Thus the comparision. I will say the kid is very skilled, but lacks athleticism to say the least.

I agree, thus from limited highlights, not sure this kid has either as well. Thus the comparision. I will say the kid is very skilled, but lacks athleticism to say the least.
It seems if we could get a big that's moving up the rankings, in an area we need to, and should do well in, plus who has been a camps all-defensive team in the summer circuit we would be happy. I get he needs to gain, but he could help. Also I don't know of many other bigs we're on, with a good chance at.

Caleb Love's final 6--IU, Missouri, Kansas, Louisville, North Carolina and Arizona

Deleted member 643761

D
No. He’s most likely looking for a place where he can play some good minutes as a freshman and take over in year 2. Also a place with solid guards and wings so that the team around him can win. Illinois guards in 2020 are a question mark, and we have no proven wing players. Both Tevian and Giorgi haven’t proven themselves at that position yet. I think it’s a tough sell to get Kalkbrenner unless you can show continuity in the backcourt and convince him there’s a spot for him with Kofi.
I suspect you have no idea what RK is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.